Planning to get married while you're in Myrtle Beach?

Horry County Government:

Most beach weddings will not require the issuance of a Special Event Permit. However, it is conceivable that a wedding could exceed the Special Event Permit threshold, and a permit would be necessary. The threshold for requiring a Special Event Permit is listed below:
• Weddings with 500 or more participants.
• Weddings with 101 or more chairs.
• Weddings utilizing a tent.
• Weddings that do not meet the standards listed below.

General guidelines for wedding requiring no permit are as follows:
• The beach is considered a public area, and no one has exclusive use of any section of the beach. With this in mind, the following location issues are applicable:
No activities are allowed on the beach dunes.
No activities are allowed to block an emergency beach access.
Wedding must be conducted behind any established lifeguard umbrella lines.
Parking is allowed only in appropriate parking areas.

During the busiest beach season, May 1 through Labor Day, the following rules apply:
Weddings without chairs or other props, such as arbors, flower stands, arches, platforms, PA systems, etc. are allowed at any other time.
Weddings with chairs or other props, such as arbors, flower stands, arches, platforms, PA systems, etc., are allowed after 5:00 p.m. Setup is not allowed before 5:00 p.m.
Amplified sound is restricted to a portable system for use in the wedding ceremony.
All other federal, state, and local laws and ordinances must be adhered to.
A Horry County Business License is required for anyone who performs a service within the unincorporated areas of Horry County.
t is recommended that you not throw rice on the beach. There is also a county ordinance about feeding wild fowl, so throwing bird seed is also prohibited.
The releasing of Chinese lanterns is prohibited.
If you have additional questions, please contact Horry County Police Beach Patrol at (843) 915-7953.

Marriage Licenses – A South Carolina marriage license can be obtained from Horry County Probate Court. They can be reached at (843) 915-5370 or visit them at Departments Probate Court.

Both parties must apply in person Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 4 PM at the County Courthouse, located at 1201 3rd Ave in Conway, SC (843)915-5370. After you apply, there is a 24-hr. waiting period. Either party can pick up the license after the waiting period.
Marrage License Fees:
County residents $50.00
State residents $75.00
Out of state and all others $100.00
Other Fees:
Ceremony $50.00
Certified Copy $5.00

City of Myrtle Beach (Does not apply outside City limits):
Commercially-produced weddings are not permitted on the public beach in the City. Non-commercial weddings are allowed on the public beach.More wedding information available from the Horry Co. Probate Court

Wedding information is on this Georgetown County web page. This includes parts of Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island and Litchfield.

Return to Myrtle Beach Vacation site map