Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accident on I-77
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:25 pm 

Today at about 1PM, a 75 car pile up shut down both directions of I-77 near the Virginia and North Carolina border. Those from Pennsylvania and Ohio are overly familiar with this area as it is the main route that leads us to our beloved Myrtle Beach. The accidents were a result of extremely heavy fog that is not uncommon to this stretch of the highway. I haven't heard of any injuries or fatalities.

It seems that we encounter the fog almost every trip we've taken south. However, if it's clear, the road is still dangerous as it's a steep decline/incline depending on which direction you're going. The view, however, is absolutely fantastic on a sunny day.

Post subject: Re: Accident on I-77
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 pm 

I saw pics on the nightly news this evening. It looked terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 am 

An update on this story confirms that three people have been killed and 20 injured. The north bound lanes reopened last night around 9PM but I haven't heard if the south bound lanes are. The investigation continues without word thus far on what or who caused the pile up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm 

Fog........Good sized mountain. 3-4 mile incline/decline depending on which way you're traveling. Not sure what the change in elevation is. From the mountain south the land is fairly flat. On a clear day the view is unbelievable. Saying you can see halfway to Winston Salem might be a stretch but I bet it would be close.
Fog has always been a problem on the mountain. All our trips we've only hit it one time. Northbound. Clear at bottom but halfway up we were straining to see pink glow of tail lights in front of us. Couldn't see lines, guardrails or anything.
Changes of temps with right amount of moisture. In little over a mile you can go from clear weather to fog bank losing sight of car in front of you. Signs and lights warn of fog on the mountain but many people ignore them.
From what I have read and heard it wasn't one long pileup but several smaller pileups scattered down the mountain. Cops blame speed. People not slowing down thinking it was just normal patchy fog. Lucky it was on a Sunday and a holiday. Fewer trucks on the road probably saved lives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:10 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Cops blame speed. People not slowing down thinking it was just normal patchy fog. Lucky it was on a Sunday and a holiday. Fewer trucks on the road probably saved lives.

Yup, we have the same up here in PA. I live 5 miles from I-80 which runs through the snow belt. I was on I-80 a few weeks ago when it was whiteout conditions. I slowed down and found myself cringing as I would see the headlights appear behind me at the last moment, swerve, and barrel past me still running at 75 mph. I was just running back from picking up dinner, so I was only 1 exit down, but it was crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm 

Just read last night that one of those killed was originally from a town close to where I live. So sad -

Staff reports
Andrew Katbi, a law student at Duke University and the St. John’s High School Class of 2006 valedictorian was killed in a 95-vehicle pileup at the base of a mountain in southwest Virginia on Sunday.

Katbi, 24, was just weeks from graduate with a law degree from Duke. He was also part of the research group that wrote up briefs for the case review the U.S. Supreme Court studies when they were getting ready to review Obamacare.

Katbi had finished an internship in Columbus and upon graduation, was to start practicing business law.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 pm 

That stretch from Wytheville, VA to the North Carolina line always has the heaviest traffic on our trips south. And that crazy fog that can pop up on a hot July afternoon in Fancy Gap is amazing. On a clear day, you can see Pilot Mountain coming down the hill. Spectacular view/ dangerous road. Prayers for the families of those involved.

Scott