Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 am 

Every year I say I'm going to visit,but for some reason never do.
This really isn't Pattis cup of tea but I know she'd do it with a snile on her face,for me.(Fantastic lady). But my concerns are Jordan and my nephew Jonah.
They will both be 17 yrs old by the time we are in M.B.,and I was wondering if anybody else has brought teenage boys,and what their impression of Brookgreen was.
Thanks in advance...Ron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

I think Brookgreen should be on everyone's Must Do list. We buy yearly passes, so I am there often, and I don't think there's much I haven't seen and photographed.

Brookgreen offers daily programs and activities for all ages. Be sure to check the feeding time for the Low Country Zoo. You'll see many volunteers around the gardens who are very knowledgeable, and they also offer walking tours.

Brookgreen's official website:
http://www.brookgreen.org/

Zoo programs:
http://www.brookgreen.org/zoo-education.html

Events:
http://www.brookgreen.org/calendar_feb.html

My set of 3 pages of photos including sculptures and artists, special events, flowers and the Lowcountry Zoo:
www.funbeaches.com/brookgreen.html

I hope you will enjoy the time you'll spend at Brookgreen!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:48 pm 

Ron just let the guys know ahead of time that this will be a low key kind of day and prepare them for the gardens. They may actually really enjoy it. My son loves it and always has. The boat ride is cool and we got to see the old plantation backs. I was so impressed after we had taken the tour that I actually got a book when I got back to NY on Theodosia Burr Alston. She was the daughter of Vice President Aaron Burr and lived on part of Brookgreen which was the Oaks plantation back when.

I think the place is really amazing and visually stunning!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 pm 

Do they still have the zoo? Even with the zoo I can't see 17 year olds enjoying it. The entry fee used to be good for all week. Could break it up into two visits to lessen the hurt to their vacations.

What if you set them up on their own adventure while you do Brookgreen? Drop them off a few miles away for all day kayak tour with Blackriver Tours. They would be off on their own and away from you but still supervised. You and wife would have all day to check out Brookgreen at your own pace. Win-win for whole family......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

The "Zoo" isn't very big, but of the 3 sections the one I enjoy most is the Avery due to the large variety of birds.
http://www.brookgreen.org/zoo-animals.html

Admission tickets are good for seven consecutive days.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm 

Wasted the last two Sundays watching the North and South mini-series. Third set of episodes should be this Sunday. Think this is first time they've been broadcast since they first aired in the 80's.

For those not familiar with the series it's from three John Jakes books about the Civil War.
Large part takes part in or around Charleston, SC. Exterior shots of plantation were filmed at a place called Boone Hall. Long tree lined drive in the front.......Marsh in the back.......Easy to watch and visualize the former Brookgreen properties looking the same way back in the day.

Sold me on including some time in Charleston on our next empty nest trip........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 pm 

Alan, if you and Ruann do go to Charleston, be sure to take one of the carriage tours. It's a fantastic way to get an overview of Charleston's Historic District. We've been on them many times. There are several companies but our all-time favortie is Old South Carriage Tours http://www.oldsouthcarriagetours.com/. Their guides dress in period costumes and have an extreme knowledge of the city and its history.

Charleston and Savannah are tied as our second favorite places to go to! (I'm sure y'all can guess what's in first place! :hysterical: )

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:56 am 

After 20 years of coming down to Myrtle Beach, we finally went to Brookgreen Gardens last year. We had a great time and my 22 year old daughter wants to go back this year. I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with it, though, it was low 70's and overcast -- perfect day to spend 5 hours+ walking around! Certainly worth the money -- and pay extra for the rice plantation boat tour.

1983 thru 2017 -- Various Locations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:21 pm 

My daughter, grandson and I have visited Brookgreens 3 times in the past few years. This year my grandson is 13 -- he was even more thrilled to be there than the trips before! He got a great camera for Christmas and the photos he took are amazing! The butterfly exhibit was excellent, he got great shots in there. For the first time we saw an alligator sunning itself on the river and he took some great pics of that too and the foxes climbing the trees kept us all entertained! I don't think your teenagers would be bored at all, so much to see at every turn it would keep them interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 am 

Thanks everyone. I think I may have to visit this subject with everyone,again.Maybe I'll pull it up on the computer and let them look and see if they'd be interested.