Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Howdy from New Brunswick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 pm 

Found your message board a week or so ago...was hoping there was such a thing.

By why of introduction...we are a couple from New Brunswick(Can.) who have enjoyed winter here long enough. Retired last summer with plans to spend one more winter here and then after that some warmer temps. for at least part of it. Have been to Myrtle a couple of times but only for a week or two...fell in love with the place and the people there.

Have lots of reading to do on the board to learn as much as I can from what has already been asked and answered here and then may pick someones brain for specific topics. But since we are a little familiar with the area our priority will be to get a condo for probably March of 2014 as we sort of know what is available in the way of things to do. We plan on spending some time scouting out other condos while we are there especially if I don't do too well picking out our first one. Plan on staying for one month the first year and then decide if we want to spend longer the following years.

I have one confession to make upfront. When reading about properties on sites such as tripadvisor I tend to get hung up the negative reviews even if the place has ten times the number of positive reviews....so I am really struggling with deciding on a place to stay. I think the members here maybe able to help me decide based on their experiences.

Gerry and Deb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Gerry and Deb, a warm welcome to our message board. I suppose it's somewhat of a dinosaur (but then, so am I.) We've kept it online since 2002 with just a glitch or two.

Wally and I know a couple brothers who managed one of the larger resort complexes in the area. They kept their eyes on TripAdvisor constantly. It's the outrageously big gorilla of travel websites. Don't get me wrong, I publish reviews of our non-Myrtle Beach vacations there, but I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Usually, however, if there are 9 good reviews, and 1 bad one, I tend to go with the good ones.

Please share your reviews, and feel free to ask any questions you might have. It's the loyal members here who hold the board together, and they like nothing better than talking about Myrtle Beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 am 

I've always said that TripAdvisor is about as reliable as Chrysler vehicle. There just isn't any pleasing most people. Don't be afraid to try new things and we're always eager to hear about REAL reviews. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:09 pm 

Welcome :nanner:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm 

:sunny: Always glad to have a new member...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am 

patrish wrote:
Gerry and Deb, a warm welcome to our message board. I suppose it's somewhat of a dinosaur (but then, so am I.) We've kept it online since 2002 with just a glitch or two.

Wally and I know a couple brothers who managed one of the larger resort complexes in the area. They kept their eyes on TripAdvisor constantly. It's the outrageously big gorilla of travel websites. Don't get me wrong, I publish reviews of our non-Myrtle Beach vacations there, but I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Usually, however, if there are 9 good reviews, and 1 bad one, I tend to go with the good ones.

Please share your reviews, and feel free to ask any questions you might have. It's the loyal members here who hold the board together, and they like nothing better than talking about Myrtle Beach!

Thanks for the welcome....folks.

Our first trip to Myrtle we stayed at Litchfield which we enjoyed and a couple of years later we stayed up in Brunswick, NC. Great condo in Brunswick but way to far out of the way to enjoy what we like at Myrtle. A little drive is fine a walk is even better for us. We don't need a palace just want something clean. Since I'm 3/4 Scotiish like something around 45-50 dollars a night for the month; less is even better. Told you I was Scotch. Besides what we don't spend on accomodations we will probably spend in other ways..we are white ball chasers.

Any feelings on Ocean Park....I know they take dogs but folks seem to rate it well and dogs don't bother us?

Thanks again....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm 
Forum Support

:ac15[1]: Welcome Gerry and Deb!

With TA site, I do look. Like most here I take everything with a grain of salt. You can't always find a forum like Patrish has for every city you visit, so you have to weed your way through. What I do is look at how many reviews people have done and look at the kinds of reviews they left for other places. That kinda gives me an idea how much Klout I should give their review.

As for a place to stay. If you want to be on the beach OF, you can get a room at the Ocean Reef for 50-60$ a night. If you want to stay 2 weeks or more at the same place, try giving the hotel a call. See if they will give you a bigger discount. Its worth a shot!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 pm 

Ever thought of checking VRBO for a small condo. I know the 4 bedroom we rent in the summer is rented to a snowbird couple January thru March. I can't imagine them needing 4 bedrooms so I would assume individual owners might cut rates just to rent their places out. Worth a shot to check into it. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:18 pm 

missingthebeach wrote:
:ac15[1]: Welcome Gerry and Deb!

With TA site, I do look. Like most here I take everything with a grain of salt. You can't always find a forum like Patrish has for every city you visit, so you have to weed your way through. What I do is look at how many reviews people have done and look at the kinds of reviews they left for other places. That kinda gives me an idea how much Klout I should give their review.

As for a place to stay. If you want to be on the beach OF, you can get a room at the Ocean Reef for 50-60$ a night. If you want to stay 2 weeks or more at the same place, try giving the hotel a call. See if they will give you a bigger discount. Its worth a shot!

Tks...yes I looked at the neg. review author's other reviews just to see how they generally looked at things....thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:27 pm 

Deanna wrote:
Ever thought of checking VRBO for a small condo. I know the 4 bedroom we rent in the summer is rented to a snowbird couple January thru March. I can't imagine them needing 4 bedrooms so I would assume individual owners might cut rates just to rent their places out. Worth a shot to check into it. Good Luck!

Been looking at that option as well Deanna....thks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 pm 

Hey Webster, most folks from up your way come down Dec - March, and you will be able to stay within your price range without a problem, now if you were looking for April at the same $$ it can be done, just not as easily and May thru October, forget it, unless your under a 1 year lease.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:18 pm 

gary2beach wrote:
Hey Webster, most folks from up your way come down Dec - March, and you will be able to stay within your price range without a problem, now if you were looking for April at the same $$ it can be done, just not as easily and May thru October, forget it, unless your under a 1 year lease.

Gary

Thks Gary....we only want to flee during the winter as summer here is very nice. The price range wasn't fixed in stone...I wouldn't mind more personally but I have to get it by the finance dept.(Wife) and I'm already pre-approved for this level :)

Thanks everyone else for their replys as well....it all helps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm 

It takes a bit of homework with winter rentals to get what you wish at the price you are willing to pay. One suggestion I would make is go onto century21thomas.com and check out their winter rental list. It gives you prices for monthly and daily costs but no pictures. You would then need to check out the oceanfront condos that will give you a list of buildings that you can click on and check out the pictures of the building and units. It helps give you an idea of what the building and units look like and the amenities. The homework part is that not all units in a building are winter rentals so you need to do a bit of looking around. Hope this is somewhat helpful.
You can also look on other sites, CondoLux, Condo World, VRBO and check out their listings as well. When we first started booking in winter months we would check out other condo buildings when we were there for future.
It all depends on what you need for accommodations and your price range. Happy surfing!
Also welcome to the board from a fellow Canadian!