Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:09 pm 

Now I'm jealous. I'm not interested in the top carrier, I have been wanting a hitch mount carrier since our first vacation a few years ago. Unfortunately, now I have a Rav4 with a swing out door. I would have to unload the hitch carrier go get into the back of the vehicle. It would have been fine with the Tribute because I wouldn't be getting into the back for anything big, just maybe a small bag for overnight stop, but we did have a snack box back there for the kids that we got into just about every stop. Now my Rav4 as I said, has a swing out door and the window doesn't open up.

Well, I guess on the plus side, the Rav4 is huge in the cargo area compared to the Tribute. I don't know how they did it but the Rav seems to be half the size of the old Tribute/Escape, yet the cargo with the seats up is almost 10 cu ft larger and the floor space in the back seats is astronomical compared to the Tribute.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 pm 

Ugh, mrrodgers. Buy American!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 pm 

We decided to try and make it another year with our current cargo top. Hope and pray it doesn't rain and everything stays dry. It's still functional as far as strapping it down and staying on top of the American made Ford Expedition (that was for you Phroggy), but where the straps attach to the carrier one part is stressed and may let in some water. Guess I will invest in some of the large heavy duty garbage bags and wrap everything up if rain is in the forecast. We have probably had the carrier for 8 years now, and I guess it's about at the end of it's lifespan. The money saved by not buying a new one will probably pay for the gas on the way down.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:21 pm 

Since board activity is a little slow now I guess I will do a follow up on the cargo top I purchased. I ended up getting a really good deal and buying this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MA8TE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01 . The waterproof part of the bag worked great and it fulfilled our needs as far as giving us extra luggage room. The only problem I had with the bag, is that the manufacturer cut corners and didn't make the zipper to allow it to open up on three of the four sides. I guess if my old cargo top didn't unzip on three sides then I wouldn't know the difference. The bag I bought only unzipped on two sides and made loading a lot more difficult than my previous one. Trying to slide luggage inside the bag while on top of the vehicle proved really difficult compared to the ones where the top of the bag completely opens up and lays over the windshield allowing you to sit the luggage directly where you need it.

With that being said, reviews are great for the bag listed above. I'm just not sure how many of reviewers have used a three zipper soft cargo top to compare it to. I did manage to get the luggage where it needed to be, but it was much more difficult than my previous Samsonite bag that was discontinued.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 am 

Quote:
I'm just not sure how many of reviewers have used a three zipper soft cargo top to compare it to

Funny... I bought that carrier and didn't notice the issue since it is our first carrier.. Might also help our situation that our minivan is an older model and not real high, so I didn't have issues with sliding bags/gear into the carrier. Too bad they don't mention this in the description, but looks like the model is discontinued so probably not worth reviewing.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:29 pm 

KirkG wrote:
Quote:
I'm just not sure how many of reviewers have used a three zipper soft cargo top to compare it to

Funny... I bought that carrier and didn't notice the issue since it is our first carrier.. Might also help our situation that our minivan is an older model and not real high, so I didn't have issues with sliding bags/gear into the carrier. Too bad they don't mention this in the description, but looks like the model is discontinued so probably not worth reviewing.

If you have not used one that opens all the way up you couldn't tell the difference. The condo we stay at in MB has a sloped parking lot and trying to get the luggage in the correct spot on top of a ford expedition is hard enough without any added obstacles. Our old one unzipped enough to allow the entire top portion to lay over the front windshield. Once everything is where it needed to be then you just pulled the top back over and zipped it up. I found this one to be much harder to get items in the far corner of the pouch and to make it worse that's where my biggest suitcases go.

For no more than what we use it, the one we bought will serve its purpose. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and was mainly wanting something to keep my stuff dry and free up some cargo room. It was fine for what I bought it for. Just giving a heads up for others to look for types that unzip to open more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:11 pm 

After starting to think about our upcoming trip this year, I've decided to go ahead and purchase another cargo carrier. I will be out of town the day before we leave and I really don't want to get back late that night having to fight the luggage trying to get it inside the carrier. I've yet to find a suitable replacement for the discontinued Samsonite that I bought on clearance years ago. This time I'm going to try this one that I found on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-07203-1-Waterproof-Cargo-Cubic/dp/B00D9C2CDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433203045&sr=8-1&keywords=keeper+cargo+carrier . The reviews on it are pretty good and it's only around $50 on prime. It will sure beat having to load the inside of the vehicle full of stuff, which makes it uncomfortable for the ride down.

This one unzips on three sides which is pretty much an essential for loading on a full size SUV. Loading for the trip down is not bad because I can pull out a small ladder, but for the trip back the one that only unzipped on two sides was a little more work than I wanted. The three sided zip just makes it so much easier to load from a ladder or standing on the rocker panels. I will let everyone know how this one works out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:23 pm 

I am coming so late into this conversation... We ended up buying a Thule hard thing for the top of our 4Runner last year and it worked great, we had all ours chairs,umbrellas,water toys and our linens u
There. The only thing we had in the car were our suitcases.
This year my husband is road tripping in his new tundra with two of our kids and I am flying into Greenville with my other child to be picked up. Lol. She wouldn't handle the long drive this year as she had back surgery in February and just had a foot surgery done two weeks ago. We won't be having to worry about space for the first time in quite awhile, which will be nice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:29 am 

MBKY wrote:
After starting to think about our upcoming trip this year, I've decided to go ahead and purchase another cargo carrier. I will be out of town the day before we leave and I really don't want to get back late that night having to fight the luggage trying to get it inside the carrier. I've yet to find a suitable replacement for the discontinued Samsonite that I bought on clearance years ago. This time I'm going to try this one that I found on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-07203-1-Waterproof-Cargo-Cubic/dp/B00D9C2CDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433203045&sr=8-1&keywords=keeper+cargo+carrier . The reviews on it are pretty good and it's only around $50 on prime. It will sure beat having to load the inside of the vehicle full of stuff, which makes it uncomfortable for the ride down.

This one unzips on three sides which is pretty much an essential for loading on a full size SUV. Loading for the trip down is not bad because I can pull out a small ladder, but for the trip back the one that only unzipped on two sides was a little more work than I wanted. The three sided zip just makes it so much easier to load from a ladder or standing on the rocker panels. I will let everyone know how this one works out.

We used the carrier linked above on our MB trip and just recently on a trip to Disney. I like the bag and most importantly it kept our stuff dry in three hours of pouring rain coming back from Disney. The bag is a nice size, zippers seem sturdy, and not a big hassle to secure it down. It's a good cheap way to add cargo space to a vacation.