Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Condo general question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 am 

Even though I've booked and I'm not staying in a condo, it was on the list when I was looking. So, I have a question for the future....

With no housekeeping, what do you folks do with all the sand that is inevitably dragged in? This is a problem if you have kids, they drag in a LOT of sand. Sand on them, sand on their feet, sand on their toys, sand on the chairs, sand on, well, everything.

We spent 2 days in OC last year, only was in the room in the morning, then at dinner time for quick showers, and night after a late night stroll on the beach. So, we went to the room twice from the beach each day and we could have built a sandcastle in the room.

Do you all clean every day when in a condo? As in, vacuum the room every day? Twice a day?

Depending on the hotel (some are stupidly expensive), a 2 room suite (bedroom 2 bed and sep. living room) and a 2 full bedroom condo run about the same cost.

We kept thinking condo before we booked, but then thought of the amount of sand in the room, even still after attempting to rid of the sand before entering, and we think, on vacation, we aren't interested in spending time cleaning and vacuuming (goes the same with cooking dinner.)

Is there typically a vacuum present for use in a condo?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 am 

I had to laugh just a little when I read your post. I was always the sand demon when the kids were little. I always made sure all the beach toy's, chairs, bodies, etc. were washed down fully before we headed back up to the room. Honestly it has never been that big of a problem for us and we have always stayed in a condo without maid service. Most condo's now have tile flooring at the entry and yes I do still have to sweep a few times during the week but that only takes a couple of minutes. There is normally a vaccum available and I never use it unless there is some type of disaster. In a condo you will have to throw in a load of towels every now and then but we just throw them in after everyone has showered and dry them during the night. Sometimes they do not even get folded we just pull them out of the dryer as needed. I do not go on vacation to cook or clean :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 am 

We too have always stayed in condos and have been lucky that there were storage areas on the ground floor for all the toys / chairs, and have just made sure the kids ( and us adults ) made good use of the outside shower on the walkway bach from the beach. There is usually a hose there also foe toys and chairs.

Actually, im usually the biggest culprit by bringing sand in on the bottom of my cooler.....need to keep the drinks cold while at the beach.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:02 pm 

Never been that big of a problem. We do vacuum a couple of times during the week, but it's just a short run of areas that you can see that need it. As I've said in other posts, the lack of maid service is actually welcomed by us. Not having to look for hiding places for valuables on a daily basis is nice. Also, the annoying knock on the door of maid service wanting you out of the room is something else that I do not miss with condo stays.

Like Deanna, the laundry situation for us is basically towels only. It is nice though to have a washer-dryer unit in room to wash an outfit if needed. My wife actually does use them to wash some of our clothes a couple of days before leaving. Keeps her from having to do laundry the day we get back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm 

We've never had a big problem either. We always rinse the beach toys, the chairs, cooler, beach bag, etc. each day before we come up as well as rinsing ourselves off. I actually prefer staying in places with no maid service. If we decide to sleep in a little one morning then we don't have to worry about that potential knock on the door for "Housekeeping". We reuse our towels at home for a week in between washings so it's no change for us at the beach.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 pm 

Well, you guys solved a problem we would have. As you know, I've mentioned our trip to the beach last year. It was a spur of the moment and the only place (aside from $300/night) we found vacant within a weeks time was some dump, an extreme dump unfortunately on recommendation of a coworker who loved the place (I'd hate to see his house if this is a place that he loved, LOL.) I had forgotten about most of the beachfront properties having a shower/faucet to wash off at.

Next year for a much longer stay, we may look into a condo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:04 am 

We stay in a condo as well and sand has never been a big issue with us either and just like everyone posted before me , if you wash everything and everyone off as much as possible before going inside then its really not a big deal to sweep or vacuum here and there if needed . We always have a washer & dryer in our condo and I always keep everything washed while we are there . The rental company provides us with towels , washcloths , dish towels and all so I will keep them washed as well , its nothing to do a load while at the pool or beach and throw them in the dryer when we head back up for lunch , besides it saves on having so much dirty laundry when you get back home .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:41 pm 

I agree with most of the other posts that the main thing is to wash everything off before going to the room. This includes the part of your chair that sits in the sand, bottom of cooler and your feet. Never had a problem. I usually wash clothes before going home, at night, so most are done before I get home. I just unpack and put them away clean. We keep our rental unit neat. We don't run the vacuum because we don't walk on the carpet or put things on the carpet with sand on them. When we leave to go home the unit looks the same as the day we arrived. I put everything in it's place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:03 am 

During our last stay, parking was under the condos. So after we rinsed coming off the beach, we stopped at the car and put all the chairs and umbrellas and sand toys in the trunk so they didn't have to be hauled all the way up and down every time. Loved doing it this way, so much easier!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:00 am 

Being a clean freak I clean my condo a LOT. But do you HAVE to? A little. Not to the extent you prob. expect though. They do expect sand. It's the beach! But my kids bring sand toys in they sweep. The sand toys stay on the hard floors in the entry way area though. I think of it is if you are still comfertable walking through it (I mean, no one is totally comfortable walking through PILES of sand!) then they are fine with it too. They have to vaccum and sweep regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39 am 

Deanna wrote:
I do not go on vacation to cook or clean :lol:

I sooooo agree with this statement! I remember when I was little that my mom used to cook the best breakfast on vacation. But that is not me! I'm sure she did it to save money back in those days the 70s) 3 of us probably went to beach for a grand total of $500. But I come to the beach to relax...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:52 pm 

I noticed from trip to trip that the years we stay at a condo with a pool there is a lot less sand that comes in with us. This year, we had a pool. Our routine was to come in from the beach, rinse/shower the sand off our bodies, chairs, etc. on the pool deck where the feet rinsers are and then spend some time at the pool. The pool would take care of that extra sand that always seems to get missed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:29 pm 

I, too, chuckled when I read this post. Two years ago, we bought a condo in Surfside that was a foreclosure unit. It had tile in the entryway and hall, and carpet in the living room and bedroom. The unit was in such bad shape that we needed to rip out all the carpet and tile. Oddly enough, we put everything back in new, but back to the way it was....carpet in the living room, and tile in the hall. After deciding that the unit was getting more use than we thought, and it really was not big enough for our family (only 1 BR), we decided to take advantage of another foreclosure unit that became available (2 BR). But, carrying two units is a little tough, so we've placed the 1 BR into the rental program....hopefully to help cover the cost of itself and the new one. Anyway, we are now in the process of re-doing the 2nd condo....and we're NOT putting in carpet in the living room. Although I do agree that sand isn't a huge deal....after all, you're at the beach.....carpeting just isn't the best choice. We are keeping it in the bedrooms, but the rest of the condo will be tiled.

As for condo vs. hotel, we're loving having a condo. Even if you stay in a hotel room, and the housekeeper comes in every day, you do have to try to be somewhat careful about dragging in sand, regardless. Otherwise, you'll end up with it in your bed, your suitcases, etc. So, always best to get rid of as much as you can before you even enter the room, condo, house....whatever. If nothing else, a condo offers more room, a separate area where adults can stay up when the kids need to go to bed, and they have a fridge and kitchen....just in case you might want to eat in for breakfast, or a quick lunch, or just not wanting to fight the crowds at dinner. At least there's the option.

Enjoy the beach, everyone!