Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:38 pm 

Would love to hear pros and cons of Ocean Lakes and Oceanside for a two month stay. We do not have young children, but do have two indoor cats who travel with us, are clean and well behaved. We're thinking a November-December visit, but having never stayed or even been inside either compound, I'd really appreciate some input.

Thank you all! :???:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm 

Ocean Lakes is a large campground with villas/condos. It shoould be pretty quiet that time of year. I have never heard of Oceanside. Maybe you got confused on the name or is it somewhere else besides Myrtle Beach?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 pm 

Ocean Lakes is award winning place that people rave about .
has all you need once you enter the gates and my friends
that stay there say you have no reason to come back out
as it is all in there...Now never heard of Oceanside ?
Also that time you looking at it will be no problem
as they slow down but remain open all year :lol:

Dwight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Are you thinking of Oceanside Village in Surfside?
http://www.oceansidevillage.com/

We have friends who stayed there, and we visited their rental unit once. They had a dog, and were happy to have a place that accepted pets, but they were not happy with the rental unit. After seeing it, I would not have been happy, either.

Here is their review:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12772&p=84130&hilit=oceanside#p84130

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:34 am 

Thank you all so much for the information, just what I was looking for. Oceanside is indeed in Surfside; I'm surprised there was some confusion as Oceanside is huge. Anyway, from what I read, if we decide to rent for Nov/Dec., it definitely looks like Ocean Lakes would be the place.

That review, Patrish, of Oceanside certainly removed them from any consideeration. Again, thank you all, have a great remainder of summer!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:12 pm 

Glad to see you got the info from Patrish
and you pointed in the right direction and
will be down here soon.....Enjoy your stay :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 am 

Hi GM, yes that review was not a good one but you can also find reviews from Ocean Lakes where someone was not happy either, pretty much any business can and will have a bad review along the way :) I know people who live in both year round and are very happy.

As was mentioned on another forum Ocean lakes is a campground with rentals, Oceanside does not have campers/RV's.

Whenever you rent something except a hotel room, you are renting from a private individually owned property and you may end up with a bad experience due to the unit being dated or things not working properly.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm 

We have had a good experience renting from Old Colony Realty in Surfside the last 4 years. The only problem may be the pet issue, I am not sure if they have any pet friendly listings. If you are looking to meet other people and socialize probably Ocean Lakes or Oceanside would be your best bets. We rent a very nice house with 4 bdrms, 3 baths for a little over $1,000. for the month of October.. If you are able to stay three months you do not have to pay the tax on the rental which runs about 10% or more. Unfortunately we have only been able to do that twice. So looking forward to our month at the beach in October. I am sure you will find the place that is right for you.
Judy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:09 pm 

We've rented in the past @ Tupelo Bay and absolutely loved it, rented directly from the owner who was an absolute sweetheart to work with. We always went 4 to 4-1/2 months. This year, we're going to HI for a family Christmas, but are thinking next year to do 6 weeks to 2 months, November-December in MB. We want to be close enough to Tupelo to play golf but also want to be able to enjoy the beach. Just love the whole area of Garden City/Surfside/Murrells Inlet. Oceanside looks (from the outside) to be quite nice, we've never been inside Ocean Lakes but it looks really nice. The problem mostly is pet friendly places oftentimes don't allow cats (even though our boys are very clean and polite), so it's a struggle sometimes. Again, thank you all for taking the time to answer our questions. Gonna miss MB this winter!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:04 pm 

I know this is an old string of posts, but I'm wondering if GMarcan ended up at Ocean Lakes and how it was. We looked into going there, but their rental rules do not allow pets. Because we brought our dog, we ended up renting a place in Lakewood Camping Resort, which had its ups and downs. We just got back this past Saturday. There's a trip report with links to pictures if anyone is interested.

We're looking into Oceanside Village for next time we come down.

We've always been campers, but we find ourselves without a camper or motor home for only the second time since 1981.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm 

By the way Oceanside and Tupelo are the same owners.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:53 pm 

Oceanside and Tupelo aren't the same owners! We rented in Tupelo directly from the owner, and she doesn't own anything in Oceanside. Oceanside is huge and you can rent directly from owners or through Rose Realty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:41 pm 

LOL, not all the units are owned by the same person, the property/land, Tupelo and Oceanside are owned by the same Group, they also own Rose Realty.

Gary