Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:50 pm 

This may be of interest to those of you that are inclined to try different routes to Myrtle Beach, that drive through Winston-Salem, NC to get there.

Highway 311/Future I-74 south of High Point, NC is just about complete. I decided I wanted to give it a look see one morning after work, just to get a feel for the road and how it traveled. I was pretty much amazed to be honest. There was absolutely ZERO traffic on this road. I don't think many folks know that it exists (yet).

How to get there:

If you are coming 52 South through Winston-Salem, you will go past the intersection of 52 and business 40. Go another 2 miles south on 52 to the intersection of 52 and I-40 BYPASS. Take the 40 bypass EAST off ramp from 52, and drive approximately 4 miles east. Take the Highway 311/Future 74 connector (stay in the far right lane) toward High Point, NC. Once on 311, continue on for about 27 miles until the road ends at the intersection of Cedar Square Road, Randleman, NC.

Once you come to this road, go to the top of the ramp and turn right. Drive approximately 150 feet to Old 311. Turn left onto Old Highway 311. Drive 7.5 miles to the intersection of old 311 and Highway 220. Take the Highway 220 southbound ramp. This will put you approximately 6 miles north of the Highway 64 intersection in Asheboro.

Continue on with your normal directions once in Asheboro.

I'm going to try this route when I come down to Myrtle June 30th. My fomer girlfriend Jenny, said she tried this route a couple weeks ago when she came down and said this was going to be her route from now on, since she can't stand Greensboro I-40 traffic at all.

Thanks for reading.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 am 

we came this way the last 2 times we headed for myrtle beach. Its amazing how much time it cut off our driving.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Greg, it's nice to see you here! Hope you're doing well, and thanks for your participation on the board!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:45 am 

Thanks Patrish. I'll give you and Wally a shout when I get down this year for the 4th. Perhaps we can get together for a drink.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
Greg,

Do you know the date that the last section will opened, from Cedar Square to 220? I can't seem to find a clear cut answer.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am 

Sparkieg posted these directions on May 13... here they are:

Quote:
This may be of interest to those of you that are inclined to try different routes to Myrtle Beach, that drive through Winston-Salem, NC to get there.

Highway 311/Future I-74 south of High Point, NC is just about complete. I decided I wanted to give it a look see one morning after work, just to get a feel for the road and how it traveled. I was pretty much amazed to be honest. There was absolutely ZERO traffic on this road. I don't think many folks know that it exists (yet).

How to get there:

If you are coming 52 South through Winston-Salem, you will go past the intersection of 52 and business 40. Go another 2 miles south on 52 to the intersection of 52 and I-40 BYPASS. Take the 40 bypass EAST off ramp from 52, and drive approximately 4 miles east. Take the Highway 311/Future 74 connector (stay in the far right lane) toward High Point, NC. Once on 311, continue on for about 27 miles until the road ends at the intersection of Cedar Square Road, Randleman, NC.

Once you come to this road, go to the top of the ramp and turn right. Drive approximately 150 feet to Old 311. Turn left onto Old Highway 311. Drive 7.5 miles to the intersection of old 311 and Highway 220. Take the Highway 220 southbound ramp. This will put you approximately 6 miles north of the Highway 64 intersection in Asheboro.

Continue on with your normal directions once in Asheboro.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:46 am 

lost-in MB wrote:
Greg,

Do you know the date that the last section will opened, from Cedar Square to 220? I can't seem to find a clear cut answer.

Scott & Denise -

I wish I had the answer to that question myself. After seeing the amount of construction that still needs to be completed on 311, it's going to be awhile.

When you travel down 220 south of Asheboro, all the road construction you see going on there is the 311 connectors being built. When I got on Old 311 from Cedar Square road and traveled a good 3 or 4 miles, I passed over what will become the new 311. Just from the looks of it, the state has a LONG way to go before it even nears completion. If I were a betting man, I would say sometime in late 2013 before the project is complete.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:06 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
Thanks Greg, I was afraid that might be the case. I am sure it will be a great time saver once complete.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]