Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am 

I know if is not scheduled to open until August 1st, but has anyone driven by or walked by to see what was going on?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm 

Kris,

We drove down Ocean Drive two weeks ago and didn't see any sight of the place. I have been meaning to ask the same question just in case we missed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:18 am 

It opens this coming Saturday - details, etc:

-----------------------------------

NEW PARK READY TO TEST WATERS IN NMB
Surrounding businesses hopeful for traffic boost

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH -- Several North Myrtle Beach businesses anticipate a boost in traffic after a new amusement park opens here, possibly attracting more people to the city.

The O.D. Pavilion and Amusement Park, named for the city's Ocean Drive section where it is located, sits between First Avenue South and Main Street on the beach side of Ocean Boulevard.

The park is scheduled to open Saturday. Its rides were installed this week, according to Mark Lazarus, one of the park's planners who also owns a water park in Surfside Beach.

"I think the park will definitely help," said Benny Visan, manager of Kings at the Beach on Main Street in North Myrtle Beach. "It will attract more people to the area, and while people will be in the area, they will check my store out and hopefully spend some money."

Denise Christy, who works in an ice cream shop on Main Street, hopes the park will help bring more people into her Dairy King.

"We're looking forward to it," Christy said. "We're looking forward to anything that's going to increase the business in downtown North Myrtle Beach. With the economic times, we hope it turns out to be a good venture for them and turn out good for all of us," said Christy, who works at Dairy King on Main Street.

The park, which includes a Ferris wheel and small roller coaster, will be open through Labor Day weekend, Lazarus said. Plans are to operate a full summer schedule next year, he said.

The park is a joint venture with H.G. Worley Jr., who owns the land with his family and is the son of Horry County Councilman Harold Worley. The rides are provided by a firm called Dreamland Amusements and will be taken down when the park closes.

Marc Jordan, president and CEO of the North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber plans to work with the park planners to see about making the park site a permanent location as they prepare for next season.

Meanwhile, nearby business operators who hope to benefit from the park opening say they won't immediately consider alterations at their locations to attract customers.

"We're not making any changes at all," Christy said. "We just have to see how many people come in and gauge how many employees we need if there is a crowd."

Visan said he is "ready for business no matter what."

Open | Saturday
Address | 90 S. Ocean Blvd. (at the Horseshoe), North Myrtle Beach
Hours | 4 to 11 p.m. daily (park times may vary with seasons)
Cost | $1.25 per ticket; can buy a book of tickets
Rides | Ferris wheel, swing, slide, carousel, bumper cars, circus train, kiddie roller coaster, tea cup ride, dino ride, games
Food | Funnel cake trailer, popper stand with candy apples and cotton candy
Web site:
http://www.odpavilion.com/

http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/1003065.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 am 

Excited to have a new park ! Will have to drop the teenagers off while we get a quick bite.

I'm embarrassed to admit we haven't spent much time in NMB during our many Grand Strand trips.... any restaurant recommendations within walking distance (or even a short drive) ? (Apologies for the thread hijack)

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:53 am 

Update:

Monday, Aug. 10, 2009

North Myrtle Beach Park Sparks Nostalgia, Novelty

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH -- Some people were overcome with a sense of nostalgia when they visited the new amusement park in North Myrtle Beach on Sunday...

http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/1015837.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:03 am 

I know this is an old thread....but does anyone know what kinds of rides are at this amusement park? The website is not very informative!

2007--Holiday Sands North
2008 May--Compass Cove
2008 Aug./Sept.--Sea Mist
2009-- Forest Dunes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Admin

We still have not been there. I've heard it's mostly kiddie rides, more like a county fair than a true amusement park, and thought it would be a good spot to take the grandson. But something is always getting in the way. They offer free parking and free admission, so I assume you just pay for the various rides and food.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm 

The OD Pavilion is just down the street from the Ashworth where we stayed in May. It is beside Hot Diggity Dinner on Ocean Drive. (Yes, they have good hot dogs!) We did see rides set up when we were there in May, mostly kiddie rides and nothing in comparison to Family Kingdom for example.

As for dining close by, Duffy Street Seafood Shack on Main is a very short walk from the OD Pavilion. Great food and peanut shells on the floor! There are some other restaurants on Main that we have not visited. There is another Duffy Street location on Sea Mountain Highway that is a short drive from there in the Cherry Grove section.

We have always been "south end" vacationers, but really like staying up north now. The beach is really nice, super wide and the area is much slower paced.

I hope this helps!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 am 

Fat Harolds had great bar burgers!! They usually have a special of the day, too. Their Facebook page sends out updates.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 pm 

I guess we will stay with Family Kingdom! We are staying at Myrtle Beach Resort anyway, so it is out of the way for us. Just making sure we weren't missing anything...

2007--Holiday Sands North
2008 May--Compass Cove
2008 Aug./Sept.--Sea Mist
2009-- Forest Dunes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:34 pm 

Jan, just as a side both restaurants you mentioned have the same owner and good food :)

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:14 pm 

That's right Gary. We have been to both of those locations and the food was great.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 am 

By the way, I was talking about Hot Diggity and Duffy St are owned by the same person, and Duffy St also has a location on Restaurant Row.

It's a beach day, cooler is packed and as soon as I sign off, I'm off.

Gary