Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 am 

I just had a friend return from Myrtle Beach and she said that Interstate 26 from Hendersonville to Spartanburg is closed. She said the detour was a 2 lane road and the traffic is horrible. The consturction is to last through September. Has anyone heard anything about this or been through it??? This would totally change our vacation route meaning we would have to travel through Atlanta which we hate :BandHead: It would also mean that I would have to change reservations for our overnight stay in Columbia. I don't want anything to keep me from getting to the beach just as fast as I can get there :lol: Any suggestions or updates are appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 am 
Forum Support

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/0 ... -work.html
http://www.scdot.org/getting/interstate_traffic.asp
https://twitter.com/#!/ncdot_i26

Sounds like several things are happening with I-26. If I am reading correctly (we travel this road as well), total closure shouldn't be a lot longer. They are repairing a bridge that was damaged because of a accident.

From now until Nov 30, different lanes will be closed in both directions as they do maintenance work.

Is that also your understanding from the above links? :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:10 am 

It does look like contruction through November :cry:

I knew that there was alot of work going on from Johnson City Tennessee to Asheville on I26 but I thought it ended around Asheville. Looks like it is something that we will just have to keep an eye on between now and July. It sure would be wonderful if this was cleared up before then.

Any updates from those traveling this area would be a big help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:46 pm 

I cant imagine taking back roads through the Green River Gorge. That is my least favorite part of the trip anyway. I always cant wait till Spartanburg because the rest of the trip is flat and you know you are getting close to the ocean.

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 pm 

I will report back about road conditions to Myrtle Beach after our trip in a few weeks. We travel from Pigeon Forge, TN. We normally take I-40 to I-26. We are planning on going either the week of 4/23 or 4/30 for a few days. Normally it takes us about 7 1/2 hours with a couple of stops. Hope it does not add much time to the trip.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:30 pm 

Thanks Judy...we will be looking forward to that report.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 pm 

Some of my family took the coast down to Florida a couple of weeks ago and they didn't mention having to detour on I-26. Must have opened a lane back up on the weekend.

Another thing that I've noticed is that during travel season a lot of the work seems to come to a stop on weekends and lanes re-opened. I noticed this a lot on I-20 coming home last summer. Lots of construction signs and even signs saying lane closed, only to get to the spot and the cones are moved to the shoulder.

Deanna, Any update on I-75 work north of Knoxville? I posted an article on here the other day that said something about south bound traffic having to detour until August. This also could impact people traveling to the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm 

parrotheadjwb wrote:
I cant imagine taking back roads through the Green River Gorge. That is my least favorite part of the trip anyway. I always cant wait till Spartanburg because the rest of the trip is flat and you know you are getting close to the ocean.

I don't mind the Gorge nearly as bad as I-40 between the TN line and Asheville. Getting to I-26 is usually a feel of accomplishment after traveling the curves of I-40. I agree about Spartanburg being the point that it gets a whole lot better. Seems like the trip has four big things, making it to Asheville, Spartanburg, Columbia, and Florence. Once in Florence you pretty much are on cruise control.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:41 am 

MBKY,

I never travel I75 North of Knoxville so that is something you will probably just have to keep updated through TDOT. We always travel I75 South to Knoxville and then hit I40 over the mountain to I26.

This is off topic but let me get this straight..you have to travel down I75 to Knoxville and then hit I40 to I26??

Everyone here in East Tennessee talks about going over the mountain and all the curves and transfer trucks. It's like whoever is driving just holds their breath until I26. There was a time when I was growing up that we would always hit constuction and would have to sit somewhere over that mountain. So for several years we went through Atlanta which I hate. Now we are back to going over the mountain. The scenery is beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:18 am 

I dont mind going through the mountains. It is the first leg of the trip for us, so I am pretty excited and everyone else in the car is usually asleep. I hate the part between Asheville and Spartanburg.

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm 

Deanna wrote:
MBKY,

I never travel I75 North of Knoxville so that is something you will probably just have to keep updated through TDOT. We always travel I75 South to Knoxville and then hit I40 over the mountain to I26.

This is off topic but let me get this straight..you have to travel down I75 to Knoxville and then hit I40 to I26??

Everyone here in East Tennessee talks about going over the mountain and all the curves and transfer trucks. It's like whoever is driving just holds their breath until I26. There was a time when I was growing up that we would always hit constuction and would have to sit somewhere over that mountain. So for several years we went through Atlanta which I hate. Now we are back to going over the mountain. The scenery is beautiful.

We personally don't use I-75 to I-40, but I know that a lot of people do. We save a few miles and use 25E at the Exit 29 (Corbin/Barbourville) in Kentucky. It takes us through Morristown over to I-40 and saves us a few miles. A lot of people just stay on 75 to connect to 40. I would highly suggest getting off exit 29 if I-75 has a detour north of Knoxville.

We never get to enjoy the scenery around Asheville since we always go through before daybreak. Regardless of scenery I would rather have a safer road. Not too many interstates that I have been on that drops to 45 mph in spots because of winding roads.

Last edited by MBKY on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 pm 

parrotheadjwb wrote:
I dont mind going through the mountains. It is the first leg of the trip for us, so I am pretty excited and everyone else in the car is usually asleep. I hate the part between Asheville and Spartanburg.

I guess the adrenaline rush does make the mountain go a little more smoothly, but I have to admit I have had a few white knuckle moments getting to Asheville. :ohnoes: Always good to get to Spartanburg since it usually means a first stop for cheap gas and chance to get out and stretch the legs. It's one of the milestones that are pretty much a given to do every year. Dang, the more I think about it my trips are getting too predictable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:55 pm 

I spoke with a friend at church this morning that travels this route to see her parents in Spartanburg and she said when she went over last week that all lanes of traffic were open between Hendersonville to Spartanburg. The bridge damage causing the long detour has been fully repaired. That is wonderful news and hopefully means we will not have to go through Atlanta. That sure was short lived :roll:

If anyone traveling that route hears about maintenance work on I26 please post....Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm 

Thanks Deanna for the information on I26. We are heading from Pigeon Forge to Myrtle Beach tomorrow for a couple of days. Glad to hear the Interstate is back to normal. I will report back to let you all know if it was smooth sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 am 

Have a great trip.