Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I 77-RT52
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 am 

Just below Princton, WV on I 77.
Stretch of one lane heading south for some construction/repair. Looked like will be there for awhile.
Too busy watching tailgating dingbat young woman driver trying to buy back half of our car to notice what the work was or if there was anything over on northbound side.

VA troopers working the road hard. Nothing new there.

Roadwork on RT 52 through Winston Salem. Wasn't bad on a Friday afternoon. Some lane shifts and such but two lanes all the way through at 45 mph was smooth sailing. Actually seemed easier with all traffic going slower and same speed.

New rest area on RT 220 is nice. Looks more like something from AZ desert than middle of NC. Had to walk around and checkout waterfall and garden on roof of one of the buildings.

No cops through Ellerbee or Rockingham but enforcement heavier than before on RT 74.

Post subject: Re: I 77-RT52
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:34 pm 

Pop, thanks for the "heads-up." We travel 77S to the 52S exit at Mt. Airy, then onto 220S, so we will be affected by all those issues you mentioned. I'll tell Kev to lay off his lead-foot too. We're always so anxious to get to the beach, it's easy to get a little over-zealous on the gas pedal I'm wondering what traffic on 501 will be like. We usually come to the beach in late May, but we have to wait til both of our grandkids are out of school, so not coming til mid June this year. I'm thinking everything will be way busier than we're used to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:47 am 

A travel update to Pops just above this one, effective 1-3-2012:

The bridge over Highway 52 at the King main street exit has been completed. Both lanes are now open and construction is finished.

Roadwork on RT 52 through Winston Salem just past Akron drive (going south) is still on-going on the new northbound bridge/lane that is being constructed. From the looks of things, it's probably not going to be finished anytime before April 1st. And, once that new northbound lane is finished, the D.O.T. is planning on removing the temporary southbound lane bridge and building a permanent one. The plan is, to re-route the southbound traffic onto what is now being used for the northbound lane. You can expect traffic delays and/or construction to continue on this project through October of 2012.

The speed limit drops from 55 to 45 (going south) just past the Patterson Avenue exit. Be warned, that the local police and State Troopers have stepped up patrols in that area. The speed limit doesn't increase to 55 again, until just before you come to the 52/ Business 40 cloverleaf. Keep your cruise set at 53 to 54 and you'll be fine.

For those of you that are used to taking Business 40 East here to Greensboro, allow me to make a suggestion -

In order to avoid the headache of this tight interchange, if you travel 3 miles further south, you can get on the newer Bypass 40 East to Greensboro. This is a 6 lane speedway where you can make up some serious time (barring any wrecks). The speed limit on Bypass 40 is 65, and you can safely do 70 to 74 MPH and the cops won't even blink. This Bypass takes you to the same point in Greensboro that Business 40 takes you to - they come together just west of Sandy Ridge road in Greensboro where the Farmers Market exit is.
By taking this Bypass 40 route, you can get all the way over in the far left hand lane and stay there, so you don't have to do the merging traffic thing coming off Business 40 at the interchange. By staying in the far left lane, you can cruise all the way to the new Bypass that takes you around the south side of Greensboro to Highway 220. I did some tests a few years ago, that you can read in another post I made, and the drive time from Sandy Ridge road to the Highway 220 exit is right at 13 minutes. The great part about this new bypass is the lack of traffic.

Take the suggestion with a grain of salt, because I know how some people don't like change or upsetting the status quo.

I'll keep you updated with anything new that I notice cropping up in the next several weeks through Winston-Salem.

Happy driving.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 pm 

I've been a fan of Business 40 for years. Even before changing to that route for beach trips I made many trips to Greensboro for ball tournaments and and work. I think I'm ready to try the other 40.

Don't know if the work on Rt 52 has diverted local traffic onto 40 bypass or something else has happened. I know last several beach trips I've had more than my share of close encounters trying to merge onto Business 40 because of heavier traffic.

One trip last year a large bike run was exiting just as we reached top of ramp. 100 plus bikes in one long pack. No breaks in the group. No choice but come to complete stop and then accelerate from dead stop to interstate speed to "merge" into traffic. Fun,fun,fun.........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm 

Just wondering about taking 52S to the 40 Bypass and then taking 74 thru High Point and 311 onto 73/74/220. Looks like it might miss a lot of traffic and be quicker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:35 pm 

Its been many years, but I recall alot of stop and go traffic on that route. Maybe they've sped things up. Rather, I'd suggest staying on 52 to Lexington and taking 64 to 220. Made good time that way a year or so ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm 

mjwinner wrote:
Just wondering about taking 52S to the 40 Bypass and then taking 74 thru High Point and 311 onto 73/74/220. Looks like it might miss a lot of traffic and be quicker

We prefer to continue on US 52 for another 20 miles past Winston-Salem to Lexington, NC (exit #89). It is all interstate 4-lane driving to Lexington with virtually no traffic (since most people turn off onto I-40) and 65 mph speed limits.

Once you reach Lexington, then take Rt 64 East to Asheboro. This is a 2 lane road, but has a middle turning lane in many parts and is 55mph. And, it is only 26 miles from end to end, which should only take about 30 minutes. When you arrive at Asheboro, you're back onto US 220 South (4-lane), but now you are less than 55 miles to Rockingham. You've cut off many miles of US 220 and didn't have to deal with the Greensboro/ High Point traffic congestion. Check it out on a map, and see for yourself. We've been using this way for about 15 years, and I swear by it!

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:33 am 

An update to my previous post.

On Saturday, March 10th, 2012, the D.O.T. placed concrete dividers on RT 52 northbound at the Liberty Street exit. This is just before you encounter the ongoing bridge construction. This means northbound 52 is now one lane from just before you get to the construction zone, to the Akron drive exit. Again, this is only in the northbound lane.

This reduction to one lane is supposed to remain in place for the next several months while the paving of the entrance to the new bridge is being constructed and completed. This is causing MAJOR delays during different parts of the day, and the number of wrecks has increased substantially.

If any of you would like alternative drving directions to get you around this construction mess, that will take you through the downtown area of Winston, please send me a private message and I will gladly oblige.

Happy driving.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:41 am 

Another update - albeit a little more "official". This link shows aerial pictures of the project as it unfolds.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us52BridgeReplacement/

Here is a link to upcoming projects that will also impact and affect Highway 52 travel in the future:

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us52improvements/