Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Parson's Table
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:25 pm 

We decided on the Parson's Table in Little River for our last meal in Myrtle Beach. Doug and I have visited there once before and wanted to try it out again.

The Parson's Table is located in an old church right on Hwy 17. The atmosphere is upscale but the prices are really not that bad compared to other restaurants that we visited throughout the week, such as Drunken Jacks and Liberty Steakhouse. I believe our bill was around $77 before tip and the guys had steak. They do offer an early bird special which we would have probably taken advantage of if we had done better planning. You are asked not to wear beach attire, no hats and to turn off your cell phones. They do take reservations and we took advantage of that. We didn't have a wait which is very nice on vacation.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2542.jpg

We all received the house salad with an Italian vinaigrette. Doug is not big on Italian dressing but we all agreed the salad was excellent.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2543.jpg

I ordered the shrimp and grits and it was very very good. One of my best meals

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2544.jpg

Doug ordered the ribeye with whipped sweet potato's. By far his steak was the best he had all week and those sweet potato's were wonderful.
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2545.jpg

Ryan had the prime rib with the whipped sweet potato's. Again, the best steak he had all week.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu35 ... CN2546.jpg

Our food at The Parson's Table was excellent, but our service was not. We were in need of refills on several different occasions. I asked for lemons for my water and never received them and my cousin asked for cocktail sauce for her fried shrimp and never received it. As I have stated before I am big on quality service but also do not feel that I am unfair about it. We ate dinner 7 times during our vacation and only twice would I consider the service bad. The last time we visited The Parson's Table our server was just rude, but that was not the case this time it was just not very good service. For that reason alone we give The Parson's Table ***.

Post subject: Re: The Parson's Table
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Deanna, thanks for your excellent review on this restaurant, and for adding the pictures. (I somehow missed this when it was posted!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:41 pm 
Forum Support

Deanna wrote:

Our food at The Parson's Table was excellent, but our service was not. We were in need of refills on several different occasions. I asked for lemons for my water and never received them and my cousin asked for cocktail sauce for her fried shrimp and never received it. As I have stated before I am big on quality service but also do not feel that I am unfair about it. We ate dinner 7 times during our vacation and only twice would I consider the service bad. The last time we visited The Parson's Table our server was just rude, but that was not the case this time it was just not very good service. For that reason alone we give The Parson's Table ***.

I notice mostly water on the table. Did the server give a sigh or a eyeroll when your ordered? Not sure why but some waiters or waitresses seem annoyed when you decide on just water. Most of the time when I am on vacation I always feel beat and need water to help quench me.

Seems to me some seem to think if you get water that you are cheap. We always leave a good tip if the service is good. An ok tip if its not up to par.

Thanks for the pic and review!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 pm 

I am not quiet sure and to be honest I hadn't really thought of it from that angle. We are not big drinkers (just an occasional rita for me) but you may have just hit the nail on the head.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

We are guilty of ordering water most of the time at restaurants. I think that as far as health is concerned, it is one of the best choices you can make for your body. This is especially true in the summer, because I am usually thirsty by the time we arrive at a restaurant. No, I don't want bottled water, such as Perrier, Spring Water, Arteisan Water, Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water or Zephyrhills Natural Spring Water. Horry and Georgetown Counties have perfectly safe drinking water.

We eat out often, but we seldom order appetizers, alcoholic beverages or dessert. This is not because we are cheap. It's a matter of sensible eating. And with dinners being as large as they are, I usually end up taking half of mine home in a "doggie bag."

In spite of this quirkiness, we still expect good service, and we tip well for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm 

we order water ALL the time, and have never received any bad reaction,& I bet its something most restaurants get all the time: customers asking for water. Like Patrish said, its healthy. I wouldn't quit ordering it if we did get a bad reaction. I'd simply post a review on the restaurant and mention it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:50 am 

As someone who works and talks with restaurant owners on a regular basis, here's the concern today with those who order water only, people use coupons, from Restaurant.com, Groupon, Dealsaver, Attractions, MyrtleBeachPromotions a lot, so the restaurant is not getting the normal margin/profit from the meals, beverages, not just alcohol but soda and sweet/iced tea help make up for the loss.

Even if you tip well it does nothing for the business owner who is struggling to provide you with a good meal at a more than fair cost, with the discount.

I heard of an instance last week where a group of golfers came in at happy hour and ordered .25 cent wings and kept asking for extra blue cheese, lots of it, when they got the bill and were charged .25 for each ramikin they complained, this is home made blue cheese and not cheap, they were told there would be an extra charge before they were brought more, it may sound like a litte thing to you if your not in the biz, yet it is a large amount of profit being lost for these small incedentials.

Stay well

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:23 pm 

My son and I did order water (that is all my son drinks) and my husband always orders tea. If indeed our service was poor because of the drinks (which now thinking about it I believe that could very well have been the case) I believe that is very risky business in this economy. I would think that most restaurants would want repeat customers like us who ordered 2 of their most expensive steaks. I believe even if you are at McDonald's that all patrons should receive top notch and equal service regardless of the size of their bill. We are paying the prices they provide for a service and that service should be provided. We consider ourselves excellent tippers and 95% of the time those tips are earned. However, our little waiter at The Parson's Table did not earn that excellent tip as he numerous times left our glasses empty and never brought condiments like ketchup and cocktail sauce. Our waiter also obviously catered to another table. I would hope this kind of service is not the opinion of the management.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote Deanna:
"If indeed our service was poor because of the drinks (which now thinking about it I believe that could very well have been the case) I believe that is very risky business in this economy."

Deanna, I agree with you.

I don't feel obligated to order drinks, appetizers, or desserts just because I want to help a restaurant stay in business. If money is so tight that the waitpeople are allowed to ignore me to better service a table where everyone is ordering beer, wine and liquor, I won't return.

We hardly ever go to "early bird" specials because we don't like to eat early, and we don't mind paying or good food and service. Like you, we tip well. We recommend restaurants to our friends and visitors, and if we feel we are being ignored because we didn't spend enough money (that's the bottom line, isn't it?) there are a lot of other restaurants that want our business.

The restaurant that offers 25¢ wings should clearly state what the 25¢ includes. The first time patrons ask for extra blue cheese, they need to be told that there will be an additional charge, and exactly how much it will be. Then it it is up to them how much extra they want to pay without a "surprise bill."

No matter what business you're in, you have to spell things out, especially in a bad economy and a tourist area. There will always be someone who want to take advantage of you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:05 pm 

Please do not think I condone bad service based upon what folks order, not at all, service should be the #1 priority in any business, I was just making a reality comment about discounts and what the biz owner expects from the majority of the folks who come to eat, they expect to make up for the discount on extras and the #1 reason to give a discount is to get you in the door and show off their service and food so you will come back many more times.

As for the 25 cent wing ordeal, the golfers were told as I stated, that there was going to be a charge of 25 for each ramikin of blue cheese, they just complained to the owner anyhow, saying it was not good business and they would not come back, some customers you don't mind not coming back but while there treat them right still.

I remember the Gold Rush Saloon, great place back in the day, fantastic happy hour and waitstaff, the showbirds and other retirees would come in fill their plates with food and go sit at the lower level tables and order a soda each, they would go back for seconds, finish and leave. It was funny to watch and the owner just took it in stride and made jokes about it, but no one ever made these people feel not welcome.

NE game is starting, time to quit work

Gary

Gary