Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:08 pm 

Anyone played it? Their website looks beautiful, and it seems close to Pirateland. Coupled with a coupon online to play it for $25 and get a dozen balls sounds like a great deal. Maybe too good to be true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 pm 

I haven't played Island Green but I have played Indigo Creek which is just across 17 Bypass from Island Green... Indigo is not a great course but it is definitely fun and worth their price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:41 am 

Island Green is a considered a lower end golf course, but it still good for the price. I would suggest other courses nearby like International Club, Indigo Creek and Indian Wells, same price, a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 am 

Thanks Ed. I know the guy that owns International now. Had some buddies who played it last year in February and felt like it needed some work as compared to other courses they had played down there. I later found info that didn't seem as pleasing about Island Green as their website made it appear. (Basically that was the comment someone else made on another site)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:41 am 

Hi Michael,

I've played many of the courses mentioned including Island Green. It's definitely not a highly ranked course but it's playable for a great price. I'd do it again for $25 and a dozen balls. Pictures are deceiving and any course can make themselves look good with some well-framed pictures. Island Green is not particularly challenging and only mildly scenic. But as I said, for $25 I'd play anything that didn't look like an ordnance testing range.

I've played Indian Wells many times and love that course. It's interesting, challenging, and is always in impeccable condition. The rates (at least for a local) are very reasonable. I've played Indigo Creek three times. It was in rough shape twice and great shape once. There is housing on the course so if you don't like playing adjacent to peoples' back yards, there may be better options. But it's a fair course with a fairly interesting layout.

The gems in that area are a bit further south, in the Caledonia and True Blue area. You pay for it but you won't find better courses in all of the Grand Strand. The others in that area (Pawley's, Heritage, International) are all also very good.

Another excellent course that's a bit north of those that others have mentioned is Prestwick. It's located just off 544 as you're heading back toward 17 Business about a mile before you get to Ocean Lakes Campground. It's a terrific facility (tennis, swimming, golf, etc.) and it's a course that is always in incredible shape. I would highly recommend that.

Good luck, my friend. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you end up.

--Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:00 pm 

Glad to see you posting again Leo.... Missed your posts for a while

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:40 pm 

Thanks Leo. Tru Blue and Caldonia are 2 courses I do want to play in the near future. My uncle and aunt are coming down for part of the week, so he and I will play together for a round, and he will want to stay under $50 for a round I would believe. Thanks for the info on Island Green. I agree that $25 and a dozen balls isnt a bad deal unless its a real dog of a track. I guess it will end up depending too on if a course has started overseeding or aeriation because I would prefer to stay away from that with all the options available down there.

Im sure a great time will be had as well. Playing golf with family, being on vacation, a hacker like myself cant be to unhappy about playing a little golf no matter what the score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 pm 

International Club it is tomorrow at 1:06. Pirateland was offering very good deals at Tru Blue and Caledonia right now, but Tru Blue is closed tomorrow due to the World Am, and I just couldn't get a tee time to work out at Caledonia for tomorrow for my uncle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 am 

Hate to bring an old post back to the top, but I just made tee times for my son and I at Island Green in August. I played there years ago, and though it wasn't a great course, it was good enough. The reason why I made tee times was because of the great deal they are having... $29 for morning golf, plus free lunch, plus 16 year-olds and under play for free. So, the two of us get a round of golf for app $15 each that includes a free lunch. CANNOT play for that cheap back home, so I had to jump on the chance.

Where did I find that deal? From THIS message board. I was reading this post: http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=12444

In there, Patrish posted links to discounts on the Grand Strand, so I clicked on: http://newspaperads.myrtlebeachonline.com/ROP/Subcat.aspx?cat=3337&subcat=3472

Just another example of why this Forum is the best! Thanks Patrish.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:43 pm 

Hope you and your son wear it out Scott!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Scott, what a good deal! Glad the link helped, and thanks for letting us know

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 am 

Back from our trip, and we played Island Green last Thursday. The course was in decent shape, but there were some problems with some of the greens. Talked to a groundskeeper and he told me that they had problems with the overseeding and spraying earlier in the year, and that's what caused the problems. They were working diligently to repair the greens. In addition, flooding had damaged a few sandtraps, so they were also rebuilding those on many holes.

We arrived early and were the first ones on the course. There was a very small crowd, and we never had anyone in front of us or behind us all day. The course is a nice layout with plenty of challenges. The fairways are beautiful, and the surrounding area is nice. There are a few tough holes, but it is very playable. The clubhouse didn't have much in the pro shop, and the snack bar only had hotdogs, but everyone that worked there was very nice and really seemed to appreciate our business.

The 18th hole has the Island Green, and while it is neat, the other holes surrounding the same lake are prettier (#10 and #17). There are houses/ condos along the course, but not really close to the fairways, so they don't really come into play (even for a bad golfer like me).

In conclusion, Island Green isn't the nicest or toughest course in Myrtle Beach, but it is certainly better than the public courses we have back home. And the price ($30 for both of us) just can't be beat. I would definitely play here again.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:09 am 

WVParkfan wrote:
I would definitely play here again.

Well, I guess I won't. http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/08/17/2337821/island-green-will-be-latest-myrtle.html

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 am 

yup, tomorrow is the last day and what's worse is the folks who own golf course properties have just lost thousands and will have a lot of weeds and overgrowth to look at in the near future.

Stay well

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:35 pm 

Looks like they opened back up again: http://www.facebook.com/IslandGreenCountryClub

Quote:
Island Green Golf Club to Reopen
Island Green Golf Club is expected to reopen on or before Jan. 15.

Four people in the Georgetown County golf industry have partnered to lease the course from its European owners for three years, with an option to renew or buy in the fourth year.

The opening date depends on the arrival of a new fleet of 70 golf carts.