Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm 

Hi
We are returning to MB this year. We'll probably borrow a family members condo that they occupy only seasonally.
We had actually been going to rent a condo. The problem became no one wanted us with three cats. That's to say that no one we could afford wanted us. We're just one couple with 3 cats. They aren't mountain lions, just small felines with fairly good manners that live indoors only.
We are engaging a catsitter here in NY and leaving them in our home with our sitter staying with them. We would have preferred them with us, but after 2 weeks of trying to find a 'cat friendly' place we sort of got discouraged and figured that we would simply borrow somewhere as our relative was willing and pay what we would have on a place....$475.00 to my catsitter, as I know that she'll take care of my 'kids'.
I have to say, its a bit hurtful, because when you call most places, they are not 'pet friendly' unless that pet is a dog. I found one place, where they were lovely, but the price was almost 800.00 a week, and then 150.00 for cleaning, and that was just nuts.
I wish someone out there would consider that there are folks who travel with other animals besides dogs....and consider that those of us are nice, kind, responsible people with wonderful family members who just happen to have fur, purr, and sometimes travel with their people. (PS, we have taken 2 of our cats away with us in the past, and never had any complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:43 pm 

We frequently travel with our small dog and have noticed that most places that accept dogs won't take cats. Any idea why? I know nothing about cats, but would have thought cats would be less likely to cause problems than dogs.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a link to accommodations that allow dogs. I would start by checking with them. There's a link on that page to VRBO (rentals by owners) who may allow cats. Look for the little paw print to designate pet-friendly.
http://www.funbeaches.com/pets.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 pm 

Oh hey, thanks Patricia!
I did check with both. VRBO had one that was willing to rent to us for the week, but they wanted more money than we could spend for a week. It is odd, most 'pet friendly' places aren't really, they are 'dog friendly'. I wish that more folks would consider that cats are 'pets' and it's so disheartening to go through listing after listing that says 'pet friendly' only to have them say 'well, we only take dogs'. some said 'we only take small, non shedding dogs'. But there were others where dogs were at least considered. I had one VRBO 'pet friendly' owner ask if I 'crated' my cats when I wasn't home. HUH? Crating is a training process for dogs, but I've never heard of it with cats! And I have worked in the Humane Field for 15 years.

Anyway, thanks,
Fyre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Well, durn! From what I have been told, a lot of the VRBO owners are VERY anxious to rent units, and are accepting prices below the listed amount. You'd think if that is true, they wouldn't mind a cat. I really don't know what the problem is with cats.

I just did a search on google, using the term "cat sitters Myrtle Beach" (without the quotes) and turned up a long string. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but some of these businesses might know if there are any hotels/condos that would accept you AND the cat. :BandHead:

You also might contact the MB Chamber of Commerce. I know their customer service department gets questions about MB daily. Why not yours? It would also give you an opportunity to say that CATS should be eligible for pet-friendly accommodations, too! :twisted:
http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/Area_In ... ct_Us.html

Please let me know how it goes!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 am 

I can tell you precisely why condo owners don't want cats. It's the idea that all cats spray (which is misinformation), cat urine is much harder to remove than dogs (true) and cats with claws may damage furniture (mostly false) It's a conception issue. A unit with all tile would be ideal. Cats may mark if there was ever another cat in the unit. This is idiosyncratic of felines. However, I would think that most pet friendly units wouldn't be "high" cat areas as people really don't vacation much with cats because they don't travel well. You do have legitimate angst. However, I've discovered regarding traveling with cats: while we miss them and want them with us, it is more stressful on them to travel than to have a substitute caretaker for a week or so. Cats are more likely to get sick on a trip than a dog. Working in Vet medicine for 15 years, I will tell you the most easily adjusting animal...a pig :)

Sorry you hit a brick wall.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 pm 

Wow, it's so interesting you say that about misconceptions. I was told by another poster it was due to people feeling cats were more likely to shed and cause allergies. As all dogs besides those with hair as opposed to fur shed, I'm not sure abuot that.
While the other 2 cats would be ok staying home, I really wish we could have bought our orange tabby, who has a Morris personality and is very outgoing. He loves traveling with us, he's gone before. We leave him out of the carrier when we make rest stops, and he likes to sit between myself and my husband and have a snack. He's a great traveler. When we went away last time, our last VRBO person (in Alabama) had a condo with mostly tile. Our kitty enjoyed the stay with us there, and when we rented a cabin in a state park last year he traveled with us to the place, and enjoyed sitting on the screened porch.
None of our boys spray, they are very well behaved. They have scratching posts they use, and when I say they are well behaved, they are. They aren't perfect. They shed, they run around and play, they are living wonderful creatures.
I will miss them this trip, and don't think next year we'll do MB. We like it, and we're doing it this year because we can get my aunts place for free. But next year we'll probably go back to Alabama. It was easier to find cat friendly accomodation that was reasonable, and it's where we hope to move back to in a few years.

thanks!
Fyre :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:14 pm 

Fyre,
About 6 or 7 years ago I thought I would be taking my cat with diabetes on vacation to MB.
I think the motel where I was finally able to book a reservation had the name "Rainbow" in it. I had the impression not a high rise or even a low rise condo type of building, most likely a no frills unit. However the owner/operator was extremely friendly, made me feel like family on the phone. I am pretty certain it was close to downtown.
As I was a bit desperate I did not have a lot of choice regarding location, price, amenities etc.
I ended up cancelling the vacation (came to my senses and determined my sweet kittie did not need the added stress) and the reservations and felt very bad about that, as the owner was so nice.
Have no idea if this motel is even still open, or what it is like.
Just thought I would pass the info on.
I keep all my datebooks and if I can find the one for that year with the info I will post it.
Theresa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:35 pm 

Fyre,
So you made me very curious....
http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/stay/pe ... tions.html
Try this link.
I very quickly clicked on a few and Bermuda Sands has a graphic of a dog and a cat on their home page.
Theresa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Is this the place you're thinking about? Here's a link to the map and 13 reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/2ey473b

RAINBOW COURT
405 FLAGG ST, MYRTLE BEACH, SC
(803) 448-3857

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:48 pm 

Thanks Patrish for looking into this!
Not certain if this is the place.
As I mentioned it was several years ago.
I will keep looking for that date book.
Theresa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 pm 

An open letter to those Condo owners in MB who are dog friendly...why not consider being Cat Friendly too?

Dear Condo Owner who's 'dog friendly' (I don't like the title pet friendly as I have cats and have found just one place that will accomodate us).

This year my husband and I are again planning a trip to MB. Last year we arranged to have our cats looked after. I wanted very much to bring them this year. I found one absolutely lovely Condo owner who does rent to those with cats. However, she is extremely booked up as she seems to be the only game in town.

For our winter break trip, we did not go to MB, though we could have, because we couldn't bring the cats. Instead, we went further south, staying over in a nice cat friendly establishment along the way, and renting a nice cat friendly place in Fl. We enjoyed ourselves alot.

We are having our cats looked after by my vet tech who's going to 'live in' with them...we would have had to anyway, my one kitty is elderly and we don't like to travel with her least we stress her. That said, you would have had our business and our tourist dollars for a bit longer, not to mention our lodging dollars, if there had been a place to stay with our cats.

Our cats are our family. They are better behaved than most children. They sleep on our bed, on our couches, and they have scratching posts and don't scratch furniture. They are friendly and sweet. They don't go outside. They are all litter box trained and 'fixed'. They don't smell, nor do their boxes, which we keep very clean. We have 5, we usually travel with 3 of them (the other two have health issues which preclude too much long distance travel).

The 2 times we have rented condos with them, the owners have made no complaints and in fact one forgot we had the cats with us. We clean before we leave, we are clean people.

We are not kids and are responsible adults who are in their late 40s and 53, respectively. We both have decent jobs and take one or two vacations a year. We are looking forward to this one as it's been a stressful year. I know that I always feel better when my 'kids' are with me.

Yes, there are 'pet friendly' accomodation listed here, and I'm grateful for the recommendations. We prefer condos, as we like to have more than one room, and we enjoy the same comfort anyone would.

I'm hoping that maybe, sometime, condo owners will rethink and become more 'cat friendly'. In our case it sure would make us more open to staying in the MB area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there, Fyrecat. You've written a good letter, but this board may not net you the readership you're looking for. I encourage you to send it to all the accommodations that bill themselves as "pet friendly."

A google search of 'pet friendly myrtle beach' (without the quotes) should get you started.

You might also want to send it to the Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach Chambers of Commerce:

http://www.myrtlebeachareachamber.com/
1200 N Oak St
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

http://www.northmyrtlebeachchamber.com/
270 Highway 17 North
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 pm 

I'm finding this thread interesting. I am finding out that there is such a thing as a "Sweet Cat". I can't imagine even trying to travel with our cat. It is a struggle to even get her to the Vet for check-ups and shots. She has figured out, when she see's the carrier it's time for her to go. It's just a war to even get her in the car. The element of surprize works best for us and just grab her up with a thick towel while I try to hold her and my wife drives to the vet. The whole time in the car she is making this loud pitiful noise that we only hear when she is in the car. We both dread that day we have to take her. Just can't imagine vacationing with our Cat. Don't take me wrong, I understand the bonding with cats or other animals, but in our case, the cat is better off at home.

Pictures of our little Fur ball here. You may have to be signed in to FB to view.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 1210569216

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:13 pm 

Lol!
I love her...she's such a cute little thing! :)

Ruffy, our big Booger boy cat is a mush, and does very well with travel. Probably becuase he associates his carrier when it goes in the car with the litter box with long trips and 'road food'. that means he gets to eat fried chicken, grilled chicken, etc from all the places along the way.
Ruffy learned to like traveling when my husband took him with him to Alabama when he was working there for a bit. Ruffy also loved going upstate when we rented a cabin. He's a 'road cat' and only lately gets nervous traveling because of issues with the vet...he's had some health problems. He's a very laid back, very social cat who loves people.

Smokie doesn't much like the trip at first, but then settles down and will sleep, occasionally come up to look at the window, and will eat and use the litterbox. I always put his cat bed in the back of the largest carrier for him. I don't like to let him out into the car because he hasnt' traveled as mucha s Ruffy and gets too nervous when he's in the back of the car. After an hour or so he lays down and sleeps most of the way.

Our youngest, who we affectionately refer to as 'the BUB'-stands for 'Beast Under Bed' becuase she used to hide and ambush the others as they walked by' we have just taken with us the last trip. She was a bit nervous at first, but then settled down and slept, ate and used her box and played with one of her toys.

Once we got to our destination, they all so enjoyed running around, exploring, playing. We only have 2 rooms at home so having a screened porch to look out of, and more space to run and play...well, we were so happy they were with us as they really seemed to enjoy it.

Our eldest two we leave with our tech/catsitter as our vet feels they have too many health issues at this point for a long trip unless it's a move.