Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avista Resort
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:16 pm 

We are thinking about staying at the Avista Resort when we go to Myrtle Beach on vacation. Has anyone ever stayed there? Just trying to find out if it's clean and a nice place to stay. =)

Post subject: Re: Avista Resort
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:26 pm 

I have not stayed there but I went there to visit a friend and it looked wonderful...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:54 pm 

Two ladies in my office have been vacationing with their families at the Avista Resort for several years. They love it and won't think of going any where else. We use the Avista web cam to watch them in the pool -- while the rest of us are slaving in the office.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:52 pm 

My husband and I were thinking about staying there for 1 night because we're coming into town a day early before we move into a beach house for a week. Just about to book it and read on trip advisor someone recently found bed bugs in their room! I still looking for a place for one night. :tongue3:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if Avista does or doesn't have bedbugs, but if you or someone you know frequents TripAdvisor I would want to know if poster who said this is a trusted source on TA. In other words, do they have a lot of posts under their belt, and how reliable have they been with previous posts. Is this a recent (2011) post? If the source seems trustworthy, they should report Avista to:
http://bedbugregistry.com/

That's the bed bug registry, and when I checked for Avista, it was not on this list.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:55 pm 

Patrish, thanks so much for this link! I had no idea that there was a national bed bug registry! (Looked up Monterey Bay out of curiosity and thank goodness there is no listing for them!)

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:18 pm 

Please note folks, that anyone can post any place to bedbugregistry.com, it is not to be accepted as fact, just like
1st time posters need to be scrutinized.

Keeping it real

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Gary is right...it's not an official list, and I didn't mean to indicate it was. It's a registry that people are using to consolidate bed bug sightings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 pm 

"Official" or not, it's still doesn't hurt to check it out.... just in case! :dontknow: I take it with a grain of salt, just like I do the reviews on Trip Advisor!!! :shock:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 am 

Yikes - I just checked the bed bug registry and Dunes Village Resort has two reports!

We are heading down in three weeks for our vacation!

I wonder how reliable this is..... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:04 am 

I looked on the bed bug website and it says they had a report of bed bugs the week of July 16th... now I'm worried about going there in August :???:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 am 
Site Admin

I did a little research with google (and you can too.)

Infestations of Bed Bugs are up 5000 percent as are the number of reported attacks! That means were going to be hearing more and more on this subject.

Thinking of myself as a tourist, here's what I would do, even before I unpack. If I find any of the problems listed below, I'd go back to the registration desk and ask for another room.

Peel back the sheets and look in the crevices of the mattress at the head of bed, specifically the crevice between the box spring and the mattress. This is a primary hiding place as bed bugs like to be close to their food source.

The first sign bed bugs are present is their waste. Bed bugs, like any other insects are very hard to find but they always leave something behind. One of the biggest indicators that your mattress is infested with bed bugs is their droppings. Search your mattress for dark spots that can either be solid feces, eggs, shed skins and blood blots. If you find a handful, then there are more bed bugs than you expected.

If there are bugs, then they must be hiding somewhere. Their hiding places include crevices in the mattress, holes, the folds in the linens, nearby carpets and furniture, curtains and many more. Seeing a live one may be unlikely but seeing a dead one is a first sign that bed bugs are really present in the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am 

Ahhh my skin is itching just thinking about them! Thanks for the info on what to look for Patrish! Hopefully we have a good trip and don't find any bed bugs! :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

We just decided on arriving a day early to the Grand Strand, and booked one night @ the Avista Resort! I called instead of using the website, because their website prices changed while we were researching rooms. Reservations clerk was very helpful and courteous! As for the bed bugs, there are so many butt wipes out there trying to stir crap(no pun intended), that I take most of these reports with a grain of salt!! If one of our members posted something about bugs, then I would have concern!