Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:07 pm 

Please forgive me for probably asking a question that has been asked many times.

My wife, I, and 4 kids (13, 11, 6, & 4) are thinking on coming in the later part of July to MB. Our family did so many years ago and we used the board back then to get info on hotels. Now we will be bringing a motorhome and wish to know which campground people prefer.

First problem I see is whether or not we will be able to get a reservation. Seems the campgrounds fill up a lot faster than the Hotels/Condos.

I have read many postings about these three campgrounds but am looking for some personal experience on them. I get the feel that Ocean Lakes is a great park but very crowded and many dislike the golf cart situation. Pirateland reviews seem to be mostly positive with less of a golf cart problem. MBTP seems to get the highest reviews but it does not have paved sites as I understand it. No golf cart problem.

What does everyone think of these three parks? If anyone has stayed at all three, please share your thoughts.

I am looking for a place that we can park the MH(32' with 2 slide outs), feel safe to walk with the kids to the beach, and still get out and enjoy the sites of MB. Last time we spent a lot of time at Broadway at the Beach and some at Barefoot Landing.

Thoughts??????

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:42 am 
Site Admin

I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your question. I'm sure that by now you've made a decision and that you're looking forward to your vacation. Hope you'll have a wonderful time at the beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:41 pm 

I think this was posted under two categories, because I remember responding, and several other people did as well. Hopefully DFender got the answers s/he needed to make a decision.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:59 pm 

Thanks Patrish and Dawne. We did get the information we needed and made reservations at MBTP. Sorry for posting this in two seperate sections. (Newbie learning curve) I will just have to keep more familiar on how to post.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:08 pm 

While you're in MB, you can check out the other campgrounds. Just stop in the office and tell them you'd like to look around for future reference. They should give you a map and a temporary pass to go in. We've done that at all the campgrounds. :)

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:37 pm 

Been back now for a little over a week from our Myrtle Beach Vacation and though I should add this note to help anyone else out. Not really a trip report, just observations that hopefully help others out.

After doing much research, we determined that we would stay at MBTP and now that all has been said and done, we are absolutely sure that we made the right decision. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and had no problems with check in at the site. We had a picnic table missing and within 30 minutes we had a brand new one sitting on our sight. Very good customer service.

Over the course of 10 days we made it to the beach and the pool 9 of those days. 1 day was a complete rain out, which seemed strange since they have been having a nasty drought as I understand it.

MBTP was everything it promised to be on it's website. We visited Ocean Lakes, Pirateland, and Apache and still thought that MBTP was more suited to our style of beach camping. I really like that they limit the golf carts to just those who are permanent residents or have special needs. With that said, after touring Ocean Lakes and Pirateland, I can see why they need golf carts. They are much larger parks that have a larger feel than MBTP. I am sure they are fine, but for our family, MBTP was big enough to provide what we wanted yet small enough to care about some of the small details. There is something different for everyone at the different parks, so please do not take this as hard criticism of them.

We stayed in a 32' motorhome and had cable, water, electric, and sewer. They even have Chick-Fil-A sold at the snack bar every day but Sunday.

Pros:

Beach - (softest sand I have every seen on a beach and very clean)
Pool - Large multiple area so you do not feel crowded
Activities - Many for kids and too many to do every day.
Sites - Largest of any we saw in MB

Cons: Lazy River rules.

I would recommend this park to anyone and we will definately be back. Thanks to all the board members who helped give ideas and input. It was appreciated. :ac15[1]:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for posting about your experience. By doing so, you will help others. I noticed awhile back that MBTP was voted Best of the Beach in last October's Sun News annual contest.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall