Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time golfers.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:43 pm 

The family and I were planning on graduatiing from our standard par-3 golf experience and try our hand at a traditional course. any suggestions? My son is 12, and my daughter is 10. we would need to rent clubs and would like a cart as well. what could we expect to pay for a foursome in mid April? Any help would be appreciated!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Post subject: Re: First time golfers.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:10 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
April is peak time of the year for golf in MB, expect prices to range widely and be quite a bit higher than say June or July. Some times you can play a "public course" (city owned), a little cheaper. I have played at Whispering Pines and the course is decent and cost a good bit less than most others. They do rent clubs and carts, hit them straight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 am 

Harbor View is a very nice, challenging par 3 course with 18 holes and riding carts which I'd suggest as a good step up from your normal par 3. Its up towards the NC/SC border. My son who is 21 still likes to go there for the mid to short game work once per trip, as well as us going to regulation courses. Regarding regulation courses, I had great luck with him growing up at Eagle Nest and Cypress Bay, both to the North also.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 am 

Some of the older courses cater to Junior golfers, with special fees (or play-for-free deals) and special tee boxes. When my son was just starting, Heron Point was one of the best for young golfers. Very patient, and very affordable. Azalea Sands in North Myrtle was also a great course for us when my son first started. Again, very accomodating to junior golfers and very affordable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 pm 

It may not be a good move to have your children play a real course at this time of year, as they are quite busy as we are in the golf season and they will slow play down. The rangers will be telling you to hurry up or even pick up your balls and go to the next hole or two. It will make the kids uncomfortable and they will not enjoy the experience.

I would suggest trying an executive course which is usually a par 58 or so and has carts available to rent.

Tupelo Bay in Garden City has holes ranging from 260-314 yards, it is also lit for night playing.

Someone else mentioned Harbour View and at either of these course you can get BOGO free with the MyrtleBeachPromotions.com fundraising book.

If you are set on a real course there are 10 in the book offering discounts as low as $30 including cart.

Most all courses rent clubs, yet you will get a better rate at some of the golf shops in the area.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm 

Thanks Gary! sounds like a good idea

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]