Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm 

Here is a weight loss tip that will definitely work, as long as you stick with it. It will be rather boring and monotonous, but as long as you stick with it, you will lose.

Back in 2009, I was 2 months away from a cholesterol test, and since I didn't want to go on medicine, I decided to start eating oatmeal. I started eating oatmeal once a day for breakfast, and noticed I was losing weight, so I decided to replace all 3 meals with oatmeal, plus whole wheat toast with peanut butter and sugar free jelly, also some fruit to suplemement it.

In 2 months my cholesterol went from 230 to 190, and I lost 30 pounds. I kept this regiment up for 2 additional months, and lost a total of 50 pounds.

I am now 50 pounds lighter than I was in February 2009. I am no longer on the complete oatmeal diet, and I still occasionally gain 10 pounds back, but I simply go back on the oatmeal diet for 2 weeks and lose it again.

Here are some other tips, make breakfast the biggest meal of your day, and try to go to bed on an empty stomach.

Also drink more water, and drink diet drinks instead of sugary ones.

A big tip is to drink low sodium V-8 juice, not only does it taste delicious (to me), but it helps keep your vitamin intake up while you are dieting.

I went from wearing a 42 waist pants, to where I can now almost fit comfortably in a 34.

Dave

Past lodging: Aunts condo (1976-1978) Waterside Inn (1991 & 1992)

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Olympic Flame Pancake house
Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House
Preston's Seafood/ Country Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 am 

Ok, when you say oatmeal are you talking about the instant sugary packets or the horrible tasting old fashion kind you cook on the stove?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 am 

I actually eat sugar free instant oatmeal and the old fashioned kind you cook on the stove. If I use the old fashioned oatmeal I sweeten it with splenda.

The sugar-free instant oatmeal is not as plentiful as the sugary kind, but Walmart sells sugar-free instant oatmeal (maple and brown sugar).

Anytime you can find a sugar-free or a fat-free alternative, always buy it.

I now buy diet drinks, fat free ice cream, sugar free candy.

And I still splurge regulary, I just keep my weight down by going back on the oatmeal diet as needed. If I could go 2 whole months on this regimen, I would reach my ideal weight of 190, however everybody at work says I look great at 219 pounds for my 6'2 frame.

Dave

Past lodging: Aunts condo (1976-1978) Waterside Inn (1991 & 1992)

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Olympic Flame Pancake house
Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House
Preston's Seafood/ Country Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 am 

kt38351 wrote:
Great going Patrish on getting back into your shorts and jeans...great job....I always weigh 5 pounds heavier at the doctor's office than I do at home........it irritates me highly..............

I was going to say the exact same thing ! Whats up with that ?? I go to the doctors office and they have these nice digital high tech scales and I weigh more , so obviously I dont like these fancy scales , at all !! I have been back on my diet for 2 weeks and I have lost 5 lbs , so I hope by the time we hit he beach for vacation I will be at my goal weight . Its not easy though ....but I will do it ! :whip2:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:19 pm 

I actually do eat some of the weight control oatmeal packets. It's ok but no where near as yummy as the old fashion stove top kind with butter and sugar :lol:

I would think at 6'2" and 219 pounds you look great. My husband is 6" and his goal is 230. He is a big guy with alot of muscle weight since he works out all the time but he also has alot of belly weight :roll: to lose. We are both getting there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 pm 

I to have to get back in it, I now have a bit of a break since my grandma is at a nursing home for a while. While I was with her it was a workout enough to take care of her. I just bought a yoga mat, balance ball, and weighted exercise ball so I can work out at home and not go out in the winter weather. My tip and recipe is a Green Smoothie.
It tastes really good and you do not taste the spinach. I understand the color and look of it may be off putting but get past the look and close your eyes if you have to but like I said the taste is really good.

Its best to use a high speed blender but its fine to use what you have it just may be a little chunky.
Half a bag of spinach or similar amount, can also use kale or other greens, washed
1-2 bananas
Apple with core removed but skin on cut in quarters.
Fresh or frozen berries
Stevia or splenda 1 packet (optional)
seedless grapes (optional)
you can use any fruit you like though
1 cup filtered water or coconut water or fresh squeezed orange juice
juice of half a lemon
Blend spinach with water or juice then add bananas then other fruit and sweetener
Blend till smooth.
Serves 2 or save the rest for later in the day.

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

We got in last night after 10 nights in Jamaica. It's a gorgeous island, but the wi-fi connections are none too stable.

So...I have been catching up on all y'alls posts here in our weight-loss room, and I want to congratulate every single one of you who has posted here. Losing weight isn't for sissies! LOL! :whip2:

I lost 14 pounds total, and I managed to keep it off while we were eating and drinking everything in sight. (Like Deanna I don't believe in dieting when on vacation!) We walked every day and climbed a lot of hills. I know 14 pounds is nothing compared to what many of your are trying to accomplish. My goal was to get back into my jeans. (And the dress I'm wearing in my avatar which I couldn't get zipped up last year, LOL!) Of course now I'll have to work to keep it off, so I'll be right here with you!

Just wanted to say congratulations to all of you. :wav:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:10 pm 

Oh my gosh you kept it off on a 10 day cruise vacation :nanner: How in the world did you do that? I am amazed :notworthy: I always gain weight on vacation and that will pretty much be a fact of life for me. I have learned to accept it. Last year I did exercise almost everyday and was up only 4 pounds which is really good for me because let me tell ya....I eat on vacation. I also gain weight at the sight of food.

Congrats Patrish on your success...you have inspired me.

Can't wait to see all your pics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:01 pm 

Well I have not had a very good month. However it is not because I have not tried. Exercising 5 days a week and hardly ever cheating with food. Scales are just not moving :cry: :cry: :cry:

I need a very good upcoming week. I have to weigh in again on the last day of the month. Cross your fingers for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:28 pm 

If the scales are not moving good for you! You have had such an accomplishment.Kudos to you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:45 pm 

Just found a great website that is very similar to the Weight Watchers website BUT it is free. You type in your foods for the day and your exercise and it will calculate everything for you. I know from experience that keeping track of everything is a pain BUT it keeps you honest. The site is www.sparkpeople.com.

I have a big weigh in tomorrow and I have done terrible for the month. My little skinny friend has blown me out of the water. I really haven't cheated that much and I have worked my butt off in the gym but the scales remain set. I am about to take them outside and just beat the crap out of them.

Hang in there everyone...Beach season is right around the corner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Deanna, I know it's frustrating to stick to your diet when it doesn't seem like you're losing. For me, it's not difficult to lose the first 3-5 pounds. But after that, it takes a lot longer. And the more I lose, the longer it takes.

Our bodies reach a certain weight...a set point. Just keep doing what you're doing . It will take longer than it has, but your body will "let go" and you WILL lose and get down to another "set point" where your weight is lower. It WILL happen.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:04 pm 

Deanna wrote:
Just found a great website that is very similar to the Weight Watchers website BUT it is free. You type in your foods for the day and your exercise and it will calculate everything for you. I know from experience that keeping track of everything is a pain BUT it keeps you honest. The site is http://www.sparkpeople.com.

Another fellow Sparky! =) :nanner: It is a great site. I really like the recipe builder feature.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:09 pm 

Just found out about an interesting website that has recipes that include WW points. It's called skinnytaste.com

I'm excited to spend more time looking at it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:48 pm 

Hello All -
It is great to see all the success stories! I'm really trying to get myself motivated. It is just so much easier to be bad with food. :BandHead:

I have rejoined Jazzercise and starting March 17th I will begin a 12 week Weight Watchers at work program. So hopefully I will be posting some positive things soon. But as you all know, this is a hard road.

I'm excited to talk about beach stuff and weight loss in the same forum. :hello:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next