Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:55 pm 

Anyone played any courses in MB that enforce groups to keep up pace? We usually play 3 or 4 times during the summer vacation and it seems every time we play it becomes a marathon just to finish a round. We usually play 3 to 4 hour rounds at home regardless of crowds. The last few years in MB the rounds are more in the 5.5 to 6 hour time range, which really makes for a miserable time. We actually only played one time last year after playing a 6+ hour round the first time out. Figured we would just wait to go back home and play. Regardless of skill level, an afternoon of non-competition cart golf should not take 6 hours to play. Any suggestions on places that enforce pace of play would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 pm 

Maybe try Thistle, they have 10 minute tee-times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:23 pm 

October 2010 - we had mostly 4:15 and 4:30 rounds.... This was at the higher end courses which were *not* crowded....

Dunes, Heritage, Caledonia, Love, TideWater, TPC....
And Witch - Witch isn't in the same class as those above but it wasn't crowded at all either....

I'm VERY happy playing in anything under 4:45 in MB.... At home we're between 3:30 and 4:30..... Depending when you tee off... Walking!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:11 pm 

beaj01 wrote:
October 2010 - we had mostly 4:15 and 4:30 rounds.... This was at the higher end courses which were *not* crowded....

Dunes, Heritage, Caledonia, Love, TideWater, TPC....
And Witch - Witch isn't in the same class as those above but it wasn't crowded at all either....

I'm VERY happy playing in anything under 4:45 in MB.... At home we're between 3:30 and 4:30..... Depending when you tee off... Walking!

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't claim to be a great golfer by any means, but playing 6 hour rounds are no fun regardless of whether your on vacation or not. I guess part of the problem is that we always play early tee times when the courses are somewhat crowded.

Most people don't like to be followed around by a ranger during a round, but more courses need to keep up with what's going on out on the course. Wild Wing is pretty good about keeping up with it. Actually had rangers at Wild Wing stop by and tell us that the group ahead of us is 10 minutes behind and that they were going to tell them they need to pick it up a little. We didn't complain about the group ahead, but it was nice to know that they knew who was on the course and where they needed to be at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm 

Tidewater monitors all carts via the transponders around the course... Probaly links in with the GPS system.... They monitor from the bag drop area and can see where every cart is on the course....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 pm 

beaj01 wrote:
Tidewater monitors all carts via the transponders around the course... Probaly links in with the GPS system.... They monitor from the bag drop area and can see where every cart is on the course....

Sounds pretty good. Not looking to run around a course in a sprint, but spending the whole day playing golf pretty much kills the day for the whole family. After getting up at 7 a.m. for a round of golf I like to get back to the room and rest a little before the family gets in from the beach. A six hour round from an 8 a.m. tee time places us in a situation where we have to rush back to the room, head straight to the shower and rush out to beat the dinner crowd. Makes for a long day. lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 am 

Understand..... In Oct we alternate times AM/PM every other day... usually do our 1st AM tee time around 9:00 and some guys are able to get 36 in - even in Oct....

(I prefer to get lunch and a few cocktails.... :lol: )