Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:55 am 

I'm heading down to MB from the springfield area in Mass via car for the first time, it's realy my firstl long trip. I've heard horror stories about this trip. Not to mention Im checking in on July 4th. Could you inform me what areas are the most congested and clogged tyically, and even how long it takes to get there from the springfield area?. I know around the DC area can be typicially bad. I'm trying to plan my departure so I hit these areas as strategicially as possible.

I was also thinking about arriving in DC early sat morning spending the day in DC and leaving DC early sunday morning, so I could see the city and maybe time hitting the other congested areas strategically.

Any advice is very much apperciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm 

We have made this trip frequently from Keene, NH, about 90 minutes north of you. We follow I91 to I84W to I684S to I287W, crossing the Tapanzee Bridge so as to miss NYC. You will eventually connect with the NJ Turnpike (I95S) at Exit 10. The area from DC to Richmond, VA can be very congested much of the time, so we now drive this route at night, leaving NH about 7pm and driving straight through to MB. If all goes well we can usually do the trip in about 16 hours.

Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Sousaf, welcome to out message board! Thanks for choosing to join us.

You will be arriving on THE busiest day in the summer. So be prepared to sit in traffic, and take lots of deep breaths of the salt air. Where will you be staying? (There may be some shortcuts to get you where you're going.)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:59 pm 

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah Im preparing myself for the traffic. Were staying at the Grand Shores Ocean Resort in North MB. It seems like a nice place, but since I've booked it I've actually read some negative reviews. I don't understand that however. I mean it's 450sq ft area with an "ocean view". I'm a college student, so I couldn't get the best (ocean front in MB), but I was hoping for something larger than a single hotel room. Either way I am very excited, and it's helping me get through the semester. The trip is actually a birthday present for my girlfriend, so I am eager to give her the gift in a month or so.

Any other travel tips are very appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 pm 

We have used the following route going to FL and Myrtle beach and have found it to be a fairly nice trip: we leave Cape cod on a Saturday, follow 195 to 95S, take exit 21 in NY (Rte. 287) over the Tappen Zee bridge. We follow 287 to Rte. 78, out to Rte. 81, stopping our first night in Harrisburg PA. We stay on Rte. 81 S, picking up Rte. 66 (east), then pick up Rte. 17/15 which brings us out to Fredericksburg Va. We picked up 95 S, take 295 around Richmond. We stopped in Roanoke Rapids Nc the 2nd night (we only do 400 miles a day because we have two cats who travel with us). From Roanoke rapids, we take 95 S to rte. 40 east to rte. 140, then picked up Rte. 17S. spent our first two weeks in North Myrtle Beach at the Seahouse Villas (rented through Retreat MB - all rentals allow pets), then headed south to Surfside Beach (Tupelo Bay) where we are now until mid March. Have found this route to be quite pleasant, only ran into a traffic tie up once, and it's only 50 miles longer than going through NY, DC, MD, and NJ. You'll love MB, we've had a great time this winter in spite of the weather (Snow for heaven's sake)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:08 pm 

GMarcan920 wrote:
We have used the following route going to FL and Myrtle beach and have found it to be a fairly nice trip: we leave Cape cod on a Saturday, follow 195 to 95S, take exit 21 in NY (Rte. 287) over the Tappen Zee bridge. We follow 287 to Rte. 78, out to Rte. 81, stopping our first night in Harrisburg PA. We stay on Rte. 81 S, picking up Rte. 66 (east), then pick up Rte. 17/15 which brings us out to Fredericksburg Va. We picked up 95 S, take 295 around Richmond. We stopped in Roanoke Rapids Nc the 2nd night (we only do 400 miles a day because we have two cats who travel with us). From Roanoke rapids, we take 95 S to rte. 40 east to rte. 140, then picked up Rte. 17S. spent our first two weeks in North Myrtle Beach at the Seahouse Villas (rented through Retreat MB - all rentals allow pets), then headed south to Surfside Beach (Tupelo Bay) where we are now until mid March. Have found this route to be quite pleasant, only ran into a traffic tie up once, and it's only 50 miles longer than going through NY, DC, MD, and NJ. You'll love MB, we've had a great time this winter in spite of the weather (Snow for heaven's sake)

this is better way to go home, it's a little more than 50 miles pertty view on Rt17 its the way we came home last year. I was teens the best way down is to drive at night get there in AM have breakfast most hotels will let you and change go th beach and sleep and will call you when room is ready (for us 1pm)