Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:03 am 

I don't know if there is a thread for this already because I was too lazy to look -- sorry Patrish. We went there this October and, to me, what a find it was. It was a pristine, beautiful, uncrowded, shell-ridden sanctuary. I loved it the relaxed feeling that I got as soon as I walked to the beach. But wait...back up, that wasn't the first thing that we did. First after traversing the little causeway like thingy, we went over next to the Visitor's Center and took one of the little trails out to the marsh area. ADVICE: Wear bug repellant. Even in October, my little sweet gal got mucho skeeter bites. I didn't, but I don't taste as good as she does! We got out to one of the observation docks and saw lots of egrets, ducks, and several types of heron. WARNING: gross out moment.... There is now one less duck there as well. First we heard a quack, quack, quack and then we heard/saw a splash and then we saw some alligator jaws going chomp, chomp, chomp. A definite Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom moment. Ok...on to the beach, enough with the food chain experiences and bug bites.

The beach....can I just say AHHH? When I would read about Patrish's comments about Huntington and her photos, I detected that she thought this place was utterly cool. She was so right. This is the type of place you go and just veg. Sit, beach comb, stare into the ocean and digest all that the world has to offer. I still dream about Huntington. Since we went there before our car broke down, I think it was God's way of taking the edge off of a really bad day. Had we not had the joyful experience of Huntington during the morning, the afteroon car disaster could've put the kibosh on our vacation.

I could have literally stayed there all day and will DEFINITELY plan better with snacks, drinks, etc for our next time there and there WILL be a next time. I could go there every day. They have a bath house and ourdoor showers. Right next door is Atalaya Castle. That is a neat place. Kind of amazing that "in the day" it was probably considered luxury considering, now, it seems crude by today's standards. I thought it was really neat to walk through. Wish we would've taken pictures of it. DUH!

If you get to MB and don't make a visit there, you are missing something. It is really a wonderful place to spend all day.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:32 am 

Thanks Lisa. We just may give this a try this year ourselves. Would it be wise to bring a lunch along such as a pizza. Do they sell food there?

Myrtle Trips to Date:

2005 - Compass Cove
2006 - Crown Reef
2007 - Beach Cove
2008 - Beach Cove
2009 - The Hilton
2010 - Embassy Suites (July)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:30 am 

I think we're going to visit Huntington this year as well. I would love to see the castle, and I saw that there is a letterbox on property as well so the kids will enjoy that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:55 am 

OSU#1,
Didn't see any food venders but might pack a lunch. Burgers and dogs would work. Several tables and charcoal grills on site.
Shelters might be reserved by groups but should be something available.
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/commo ... nBeach.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:53 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
We have a annual pass so every afternoon after the boy and I unpack and do our chores around the house we have been sneaking off to the beach.It is beautiful and we love trying to spot the alligator on the way out.Earlier in the week we took a picnic and he really loved that.