Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 pm 

We usually come to the beach for a week beginning the weekend after Labor Day. We are able to have the pups out on the beach at any time of day, the weather is usually perfect and the rates go down. We usually have family/friends from the midwest join us. This year we had to cancel our trip due to the uncertainty of Irma. :cry: I had some other commitments in the fall so we rescheduled the earliest we could which was this week. We knew that the weather would not be “summery” and our family couldn’t join us, but we love this place no matter what and the thought of missing a year wasn’t acceptable!

Just to warn you. Our trip is usually pretty boring. The pups keep us pretty close to home and we don’t go out at night because neither of us sees very well to drive in the dark. We end up going to the same places and doing the same things. Usually just beach sitting and eating. This trip doesn’t have much beach sitting so it’s mostly eating, lol.

Cast of characters: Me, husband and two French Bulldog/Boston Terrier pups named Angel and Ali.

If you’re interested in following their adventures you can see them here https://www.instagram.com/oui_ones/

If you’d like to see all my pics (if I’m not too lazy to post them) you can see them here https://www.flickr.com/photos/heidip/albums/72157687689060285

We normally leave Saturday and stay in Columbia, SC so we have a short trip the second day. We started a new tradition a few years ago when we were sitting around on Friday afternoon, car packed, chomping at the bit to leave so we just drove a couple hours to Richmond, KY and stayed in a cheap La Quinta there. It was nice to get the hectic drive through Cincinnati out of the way and cut our trip Saturday by about 2 hours. Thus a new tradition was born.

I only had to work a couple of hours Friday so we headed out around 11. Got to Richmond around 1:30 and were able to check in. It was pretty cool and overcast so we didn’t know if we’d be able to eat at the dog friendly bar & grille I had scoped out ahead of time, but we got in a quick early dinner before the skies opened up. Back to the hotel to hang out for the afternoon and bed early.

We were up and on the road about 9:00 with 5.75 hours to drive to Columbia. Got there about 3:30 and checked into the La Quinta. Dinner on this night is always takeout fried chicken and the fixins from Lizard Thicket. It was delicious!

Sunday we set the clocks back so we were up early and on the road. It was a easy drive into town except Conway (of course). Someone had hit a utility pole and taken it out so it was a disaster. Thank goodness it wasn’t high season. We got to the boardwalk around 11 and headed to our traditional first lunch at Oceanfront Bar & Grille.

We had the grouper fingers which were really good. When we arrived it was cool and overcast, but soon the sun came out and it was glorious. Hung out there a couple of hours people watching and then headed to our resort to get the paperwork done. Room wasn’t ready so we went a couple resorts down to Mako’s Oceanfront Bar & Grille to kill some time. As we were sitting there it was a little cool and we wanted to feel the sun and get our feet in the sand so we headed down to the beach. It was pretty empty so we dropped the girls leashes to let the run around a bit. They skipped and played and jumped up on us like they were saying “We’re here! We’re here! We love this place! Yay!” :bounce: That is pretty much what we were thinking too! We finally got in our room about 3:30 and went through the delightful task of unloading way more stuff than you’d ever need. Dinner was chicken wings at Mako’s and then back to the room to take in the view.

Monday we did our usual dog walk on the beach and then went for a healthy breakfast of ice cream at the mini mart down the street. They were closed. Decided it would be a beautiful morning for Toffinos. I had a veggie omelette and husband had an egg and cheese sandwich. They were both delicious. The sun was out and it was in the 70s so we grabbed the chairs and set up camp at the beach. We know our beach camping days are numbered this week so we didn’t want to miss out.

Spent most of the day beach sitting and then walked to Mako’s to grab lunch and THEY were closed. They are opening at 4 Mon-Wed so I guess we can live with that. Went back to the room for some leftover chicken wings and sat on the balcony for a bit. We realized that we had gotten quite a bit of sun and didn’t want to overdo it the first day so we didn’t head back down to the beach until later. We left the dogs in the room hoping they would be okay for a while but we could hear them barking from the beach so we loaded up the chairs and headed back to the room. Dinner was Mako’s again. I had the chicken taco salad and husband had a flounder sandwich. We walked back down the beach and then up to the room. We took the girls on one more night time walk (it was so dark!) and then back to the room for bed. We were all pretty exhausted.

Tuesday morning woke to cloudy skies. There were several people sitting on the beach waiting for the sunrise and I thought “silly people” it’s cloudy, there isn’t going to be a sunrise.

Then this happened

Then THIS happened

Then THIS happened!

We know it’s our last warm day so we are trying to soak it in. Husband went to the store to pick up some supplies. When he got back we decided we would walk up to the mini mart to see if they were open so we could have our ice cream breakfast and they were! While we were there the sun came out back out, yay! They had predicted a warm, but cloudy day. We sat on the balcony waiting for the tide to go out a bit and then loaded up the chairs and umbrella and headed down to the beach. It was an absolutely picture perfect day! Sunny, warm, gentle breeze. You could not ask for better beach weather.

Several people were also swimming. I’m not that hard core. We eekked out every minute we could knowing it would be our last beach sitting day. Had packed turkey sandwiches for lunch and stayed out until it started to get overcast and cooler about 2:30 and then packed it in.

Went back to the room to rest for a bit and cleaned up for dinner. Walked down to Mako’s and met some golfers from Ontario and a lovely couple from Jersey. Back at the room to sit on the balcony, but the winds were too strong. In bed early. I woke up around midnight and headed out to see if the cold air was here yet. It was a beautiful night! The winds had died down and it was still 71 degrees. Sat on the balcony until I got sleepy and then back to bed.

Wednesday - Well it was nice while it lasted. What a difference a day makes!

Woke to cold drizzly weather. Temperatures were around 53-54 all day. Took the pups for our morning walk on the beach and then back to the room. One good thing about this weather is that it forced us to do something different. Had to leave the pups back in the room and hope for the best. It seems that most people checked out this morning so if they did yelp and bark hopefully there wouldn’t be anyone around to hear. I brought my Amazon Echo Show so I’m able to do a “drop in” video call from my phone watch and listen to the pups to see if they’re behaving.

We went to the new neighborhood Walmart to pick up a few things and then hit a couple of beach stores. Since we had to eat indoors we decided to head up to River City on N 21st for burgers.

We used to stay at Breakers, but haven’t been there for 12 years so we stopped in Bummz for old time’s sake. Went back to the room to get the girls and went for a walk on the beach which was deserted so we let them run around without leashes. After that we were all tired so it seemed like a good day to snuggle under blankets and take naps. Oh this is great news…the heat in our living room doesn’t work. So far it hasn’t been too bad, but when it hits the 30s the next couple of nights that might not be so pleasant. The heat in the back bedroom works so we can always hang out back there I guess.

For dinner we all bundled up and walked to Mako’s. They had the plastic down and the heater on so it was really pleasant. We split the quesadillas with cheese, onions and peppers and they were excellent. Cold walk back to the room and some tv watching before bed.

Last edited by heidip on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:36 am 

Nice write up. Any time at MB is good time. Even rainy days. That was a great sunrise. You just never know if it's going to happen or not. Got to be ready for what mother nature is going to throw at ya. Thanks for the report.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 am 

You are faced with a challenge having the dogs with you but seem to be managing fine. There are so many patios that allow dogs but the weather needs to be on your side. You lucked out with the enclosed heated patio! I am enjoying tagging along. :sunny: Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:38 am 

Great report and loved the pics!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:45 am 

Thanks for the great report ! Using the Amazon Echo Show is a great idea.... wish it was available when we had Daisy down in MB. Perfect dog pics.... can't wait to see more !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:32 pm 

Loved tagging along on your trip report! The weather sounds better than it has been here in SE Ohio...alternate cold, sun , clouds...repeat...typical Ohio...leaves are almost gone...dreary winter is creeping in...so to see even a few days of nice beach weather is refreshing! Glad you enjoyed your time...your girls are adorable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm 

Enjoyed the report. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

I LOVED your photos! They truly did make me smile! The sunrise was perfect!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful trip review! I read every word and enjoyed following your footsteps as you vacationed.

Angel and Ali are adorable! It looks like they enjoyed the vacation too!

Thanks again! This review is very much appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm 

Surprise! on the sunrise.

I too had one of those on my trip.

Thanks for posting & letting me also tag along.

(pup sleeping beach is precious!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm 

Well back to real life. I’ll guess I’ll finish out my trip report now so at least I can relive my time at the beach. One thing I forgot to mention was how pretty the trees still were on the way down.

On the way back they had lost most of their leaves.

Thursday - Well today is even worse. Cold and rain all day.

Went to the Spring Garden for breakfast which was excellent. The rest of the day was pretty much just spent doing this.

It was cool watching the birds dive bomb the ocean. They were so active today! As much as I don’t like this kind of weather, I know that when I’m back looking at the four walls of my office I’m going to long for the days I spent curled up on the couch with the pups, watching Netflix and the rain falling on the ocean outside my window.

That evening there was a break in the rain so we walked to Mako’s. We were not the only ones going stir crazy because several other people came in also. Talked to lots of people and then made a break for it home.

Friday was beautiful! So wonderful to see the sun.

After our morning walk we made a quick run to the mall to get a pair of jeans for husband. While we were walking through the mall I said “so this is what a thriving mall looks like.” All of ours back home are basically dying.

Went back and picked up the girls and headed to Murrells Inlet. Walked the marshwalk and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

I had wanted to see the goat island because I’m a huge fan of goats. I was hoping you could go out there, but it is actually an island.

After the marsh walk we went to Graham’s Landing because I had heard it was dog friendly and it was hands down the best meal of the week! We split a flounder basket and I had the she crab soup. If you are a fan of cream based soups and have not had this, you must! It was fantastic.

The flounder was the best seafood we’ve had this week. It was so fresh and light. We were hesitant about getting one more fried thing, but this was done to perfection and not at all heavy or greasy. I want to go back there right now.

Went back to the room and there were several people on the beach, some flying kites, some even in swimsuits. Some even in the water! We grabbed the chairs and headed down for what we assume will be the last time this year. It was sunny and beautiful but a bit chilly.

Something special about this time of year is that you really appreciate every moment you can be out. Usually you spend time at the beach every day and just take it for granted, but I was really in the moment today and appreciative of it all. I tried to take in how good the sand felt and the warm sun on my skin. Watching the gentle rhythm of the waves and the vastness of the ocean.

I loved listening to the laughter and squealing of the children as they ran and played in the surf during their first glimpses of the ocean. There are so many things we overlook when we aren’t thinking that this might be our last time here. I guess we should all spend every day like that.

We got a bit hungry so we walked to Mako’s. Both of the girls have been a bit sick this week (maybe all the fried food?) so we left them home. After dinner we went back and got them for a quick walk on the beach. They always get lots of attention with their light up leashes.

Sat up late watching a very rough surf and feeling nostalgic and emotional. So many memories.

We brought our boys here for the first time in 2004. This little guy now has his master’s degree in IT and is living in Chicago.

We brought my parents here in 2005 for their 45th wedding anniversary. My dad passed away in 2011, but I still remember the smile on his face when he came out of the water. My mom always tells me that it was the best vacation of their lives.

Saturday woke to a beautiful bright sunny morning. It was chilly and only got up to about 54 but we’ll take the sunshine!

We thought it would be a good day to run to Broadway at the Beach. It was really pleasant and so enjoyable with no crowds. On the way home stopped at Toffinos to get our must have margarita pizza. It was very crowded. The pizza was fantastic.

Went back to the room and took the girls for a walk since they spent the morning home alone. Dinner was Makos, of course.

Like I said, it was only about 53 degrees, but it didn’t stop people from swimming in the ocean. Look at these crazy kids!

Sunday, the dreaded last day. They had predicted a warmer day with highs around 64, but cloudy. We lucked out and the sun was brilliant all day until about 3:30. Went for our last morning walk.

We headed out to hit a couple of beach stores to pick gifts and then back to Murrells Inlet to Graham’s Landing again. We had such a fantastic meal last time I had to go back again. This time our experience was not near as good. Our server was not as attentive and our food was pretty cold. Here’s a tip...if a little She Crab soup is good, a lot is not necessarily better. The cup I had previously had was perfect. A bowl was way too much richness. Lesson learned.

We were determined to get the most out of our last day so we went back to the boardwalk and sat at Oceanfront Bar and Grille and people watched until the sun went under and it got too chilly.

Headed back and packed a bit before heading to Mako’s for our last dinner. Got back to the room and sat on the balcony snuggled under a blanket until bed. Just didn’t want to waste time watching tv on the last night.

Monday, no wait, THIS is the dreaded day. Packing the car to go home is the worst. The girls always get nervous when we are packing up so they got on the luggage cart and refused to move.

We were headed out of town by 8:30. A local gave us a tip on how to get out of town and then my gps took us some crazy back road way that actually turned out great. We avoided Conway completely! We got to Wytheville, VA about 2:15. We normally eat at the El Puerto Mexican restaurant right down the hill in front of La Quinta because we can sit outside with the pups. Well not in November so we got take out. It was average. The girls puppy watched the other doggies checking in until they got tired and then off to bed.

The trip back to Cincinnati was uneventful, but depressing.

Another great vacation. It was definitely not our usual “summer” beach vacation, but it was still wonderful. I missed the heat and humidity and I missed the family and friends that usually join us, but I’ll take a day at the beach over a day in Ohio any day!

Thank you all for reading along and thank you for your comments! I appreciate everyone on this message board so much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:46 pm 

What a great report! Thank you so much for all the brilliant photos! Love the "girls"...they are BEYOND adorable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 pm 

Enjoyed the report. Vacations truly are some of the best days of your life. Glad you made some more memories.