Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disasters
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:46 pm 

"... do not plan ahead. We can.

September is National Preparedness month.

My professional networking profile typically begins with a “Join Me” request revolving around everyday issues most people have in common. It is rare to learn of someone who has no family history of cholesterol, buying a new children’s toy only to have it recalled, sharing special times with our loved ones over a pitcher of iced tea on our porch or enjoying a beautiful day with friends by cruising along on two or more wheels. As I reviewed several options for September, many tugged at my heart:

Service Dog Awareness

Gynecology / Prostate Cancer Awareness

Childhood Obesity

I even thought about doing something quite different like International Square Dancing Month or National Home Furnishings Month. Both would be great opportunities for connecting and networking. What tugged at me most was National Preparedness month. Remember, I create these entries up to a year in advance. Hurricane Harvey was nowhere on my radar; at the time.

We should all take action to prepare! We are all able to help our first responders where we live, work, visit, go to school or worship by training how to respond during an emergency. Join me on September 15th, National Preparedness day in:

...signing up for alerts and warnings, learning your evacuation route, talking with your power and water companies about utility safety, knowing your community resources, participating in a drill, maintaining emergency savings and helping your neighbors do the same."

Post subject: Re: Disasters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Well said, especially in retrospect of what has come to pass in Texas, FL, etc.

The city of Myrtle Beach has done an excellent job organizing neighborhoods with what is called "Neighborhood Watch" monthly meetings.

Our group consists of what is called The Market Common district. The meetings are attended by several members of the police force, representatives of the city of Myrtle Beach, plus the mayor and any council members who choose to attend. While the meetings are similar in addressing crime, current events, preparedness for any weather issues, they are also specific for each area.

Ours might include recent crimes at the nearby dog park, thefts in our area plus any number of location-specific information such as photos of questionable people caught by security cameras.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 am 

I wish our small city was this "in touch" and engaged.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Admin

The Market Common district is fast becoming a "city" within the city of Myrtle Beach. It is growing by the proverbial leaps and bounds .

Hence, the attendance by the mayor and city council members and council-member-wannbes is based more on the upcoming elections than on enlightening their audience. But that's okay with me. It gives everyone a chance to quiz them on their specialized city interest.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:04 am 

KirkG,

It could begin with you.

I come from a very small community in the Shenandoah Valley (VA) which has a manmade "fallout" shelter. We take our weather seriously.