Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirateland 2017 7/6-715
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm 

Who forgot to put out the sunsetter?!?!?! haha

My wife and I drove down Thursday afternoon as my in laws and kids had got to Pirateland Wednesday morning. We left SWVA around 1:30 and after a stop at Moes on 544 we got to Pirateland just about 9.

Friday was a nice day of playing around the pool and not much else, which is quite nice.

Saturday I had to make a trip to the Farmers Market in Market Commons for some good cinnamon buns and fresh fruit and veggies. Sweet Cheeks got the job done on the buns. Unfortunately Jupiter Pies was no where to be found, and I was told they are generally there a little later or to check on the Surfside location on Tuesday. The rest of the day was spent on the beach. Hey, we keep it simple anymore.

Sunday & Monday once again I dont believe we left the campground other than one quick trip to pick up some groceries.

Tuesday was a day we ran around a little bit after getting roasted on Monday. A little Hudsons Flea Market time, Surfside farmers market for Jupiters Pies and pierogies. After a trip back to the camper to drop everything off and lay around for a bit we decided to go out to eat. We were heading to River City Cafe which has become a staple for us. I called the Surfside location which had a 20-30 minute wait as we were driving to the entrance/exit of the campground. Decided to call Murrells Inlet and they had no wait, so MI bound and we were off. We walked into an almost empty RCC and was taken care of quickly. Appetizers of dill pickles and banana pepper rings hit the spot for the 6 of us. Mostly the group ate standard burgers etc. I went with a peanut butter banana burger and dadgum it was good. If you like a PB/Banana sandwich you will most likely like the burger also.

After dining we hit Market Commons again for the free carriage ride. It was something my wife really looked forward to when I found out they were doing this a couple of months ago. They run this from 6-9 on Tuesday evenings. We got there around 6:30 I believe and waited about an hour. Thankfully we were met with the best weather for being there as it was a little overcast and just enough breeze to make it comfortable. Its only a 5 minute trip around a section of MC but it is a nice little time.

Wednesday was a day of just enjoying the beach and pools. With it being too hot to do much else we ordered from Ultimate California Pizza. Plenty of variety among our group but they mostly ordered common pizzas. My oldest daughter loves the white pie. I tried the Thai Chicken which I enjoyed.

Thursday rinse repeat. Nothing wrong with enjoying what right in front of you. We have made some friends over the years at Pirateland. Some who vacation every year the same times we do and some who live there. One person that my father in law befriended last September in their month long stay suggested we all go out to Hamburger Joes. I remember there being some not great reviews on here, but we gave it a shot. It was a decent cheap meal for the beach. Mostly hamburgers were ordered but I went with the grilled chicken sandwich. After adding some hot sauce from the table it wasnt bad. Not the greatest but I wouldnt complain about it, and would go again if needing to stay to a tighter budget.

After dropping the inlaws off at the camper we went up north to Tanger to see if Oakley had any great deals on glasses but none were found for this trip. We had to find a putt putt course since we had not played anywhere other than inside Pirateland while there. Being that it was 9pm or so everywhere was crowded. The wife isnt the most patient person in the world, so I noticed one little place that I cant even remember the name of not having much of a crowd. We decided to give it a go (Capn something). The course looked like it had been closed down before and reopened. Things didnt match up as the last two holes were running away from the entrance and you had to cross through the parking lot twice to get to certain holes. It was rough but wasnt terrible as far as the course goes. If some TLC was given and a little reworking done they could have a decent place.

Our last day at the beach we couldnt get out in the sun a ton as my oldest's fair skin took a little too much exposure the day before. My generally prefers to stay close to the camper that last day and help clean up and try to enjoy as much of the pools/beach as we can. Since we had not had any seafood that week she had agreed to going to Dirty Dons, so we made an early trip to beat the traffic. Sitting outside at Dirty Dons on 21st is something we enjoy to go along with the food. We definitely beat the traffic as we went in and back out to sit out front and eat. We were served quickly and the food was very good for all. My youngest got the crab legs so I spent plenty of time working those over for her to eat. My oldest always gets the coconut shrimp there and loves them. My wife is a popcorn shrimp or nothing eater when it comes to seafood, and stated they were good. Grouper was the catch of the day so I got the DD sampler which had grouper, oysters, scallops, shrimp and a crab cake on it. It is legitimately enough for two people to eat on, but I tackled it. The scallops were the only thing really hedging toward slightly over cooked. Still good just getting a little chew on them. The oysters and grouper were perfectly cooked and delicious. We made a trip down through the main drag to see all of the construction that was going on and what may have changed from the year before.

It made for a very simple, relaxing no frills vacation. I enjoy getting out an doing a lot of things at the beach, but its also nice to do not a lot too. I took my golf clubs and never even took them out of the camper. Heres to hoping to see it again in 2018. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 am 

Can I just say you have such a great attitude...You found the best in everything! While some meals/activities weren't outstanding you still were positive and had fun! Way to go! My favorite sentence was "Nothing wrong with enjoying what right in front of you." So true!!

I thoroughly enjoyed your report! Thank you so much for taking the time!! :wav:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 am 

Great report. Thanks for sharing. I've got 11 months before I head back to the beach and these reports help get me through.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:07 pm 

Thank you for writing such a great trip report. I really enjoyed reading about your adventures. I now live in Surfside Beach full time but still look forward to trip reports. I have made a few deliveries to the Camp Store at Pirateland and am so impressed with the family atmosphere and the fact it seems like a throwback to the simpler times.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 pm 

Sun n Fun Im a glass half full kind of guy most of the time. If you cant be that way on vacation whats the point in going anyway. Now that dont mean it was all cotton candy and lollipops when vacationing with family but it wasnt worth complaining about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Love your trip review and your attitude. Thanks so much for sharing...I enjoyed reading this. :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:07 pm 

I also love your attitude. When you spend most of your life in the rut of everyday life I always think it is a shame for folks to sweat the small stuff. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 am 

Thanks for the great trip report. Pierogi's at the Surfside Farmers Market...awesome...we seem to always forget about going to the farmer's market...def going to write it down to remember for next year!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:37 pm 

Fantastic report -thanks ! :nanner:

Got me drooling on the Dirty Dons review..... only thing I would add to your choices is their Blackened Oysters !

"Im a glass half full kind of guy most of the time."

If your glass is only half-full.... add more rum, top with ice, and say.... Cheers ! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 pm 

Enjoyed the report..