Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I wanted to move the following comments to a home of their own, and get them off Ronp3xronp's “I’m back “ topic.

Of course once I got started on the moving process, I realized that I am such a dolt because I couldn't figure out how to to do it properly.

However, in my defense, I did not actually LOSE any posts (like someone who will remain anonymous, LOL! :roll:

If you have anything to add or discuss, go for it! :beerchug:

budwash435 wrote:
welcome back. yes the number of people on the board has fell drastically. I remember when I first joined I had to keep up, now I check just to see if there's anyone posting period lol.

MBKY wrote:
Hopefully some day the old board will recover some of its greatness. Even the regulars just browse and rarely comment any more. Still have quite a few that actively check in. I still check in almost daily .

shoemak38 wrote:
It's not just this site. It's all the older travel boards. They have been replaced by Facebook and trip advisor. It's sad because both of them do not do the same justice for getting useful information in planning a trip, plus a sense of bonding with like-minded travelers.

MBKY wrote:
I agree 100% about the information not being as good. I could pretty much take any information gained on this board and it be the truth. Trip Advisor is full of solicited information and Facebook is just a show of pictures and no information. Still too this day most of my trip planning is based on information from this board . I wish some of the ones that check in would continue to at least post a report. Lots of invaluable information you can find in those. I don't need many questions answered anymore but sometimes things change and need updated .

Ronp3xronp wrote:
I love this board.All of the conversations,and especially the people, add the excitement of Myrtle Beach. Maybe this is the year that I finally get to a meet up.

patrish wrote:
Social media killed the "message boards" and "forums" because they were not created to keep up with current technology.

I used to belong to two other travel boards and several photo forums. They are all gone. Closed up shop and/or moved to other social media.

I have to say however, this board has withstood the demise of message boards. We still have a lot of active members, and members who check in without posting. I've noticed that when someone asks a question, it won't be long before an answer is posted.

Meetups helped us bond with one another. Once our members formed actual friendships with other MB lovers, we forged a "family." I personally know many of you, and I know that to this day, many of you have meetups in other states or cities.

This board has been and still is THE best source of honest posts and reviews. Sure, we've had our share of spammers over the years, and a few odd-balls now and then, but we've done what no other local message board has done...we've formed honest friendships, whether through actual meetups or getting to know each other through our many posts.

They say nothing lasts forever. I don't know the future of this board or any other, but I do know it is constructed with phpbb, an archaic web language that someday will no longer be relevant. (Think ancient greek, persian, sanskrit, etc.)
Until then let's just keep posting.....love to all y'all! :love1:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:27 pm 

I check this board nearly everyday. I would not consider myself as a "regular" but I do add my opinion when I have some experience with the subject. I hope this board is around for many years to come.

Thanks for all those who post.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm 

I agree it's social media that overtook many of these boards. I have been a member of a NASCAR forum since 2001 and they've decided to close it in October due to lack of funds to keep it running - thankfully, many of the friends I've made there are on Facebook and we've starting a group there.

I love this board, check almost daily, and add in when I feel I have something to offer. I have gotten so much great info from this board since my first trip in 2003, and I love reading the trip reports! :wav:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:52 am 
Site Admin

I'm just glad I've never lost any posts :angel13:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:14 am 

Pilsbury Ninja wrote:
I'm just glad I've never lost any posts :angel13:

Me too. I wonder who she was talking about? :tongue3:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 am 

I check this board daily along with one for recalcitrant old Cadillac owners live myself and it is still very active. So we aint all gone yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 am 

Having access to a computer all day at work I check the board quite often in the months leading up to our vacation. It's the months after, especially after I post my trip report that I fall off until the following year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 am 

yeah, kind of the same for me. I start looking more regularly as our trip approaches and then it tails off afterward. I need to start looking more regularly year round, especially in those long winter months here at home!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:21 pm 

budwash435 wrote:
Having access to a computer all day at work I check the board quite often in the months leading up to our vacation. It's the months after, especially after I post my trip report that I fall off until the following year.
same here however may be a couple of years before we return thinking of going across the pond next year

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

This board is the only place where you can get honest reviews, and end up with lasting friendships! In the early days (the Leo years), there was a bit more camaraderie! I remember traveling to Atwood Ohio, Ottawa Ontario, and Gettysburg, just to meet and see board members! I remember Patrish and I talking about setting up the first of many meet ups! Then there was the time Patrish threw in the towel and shut down the board for a bit! Fortunately, it was right after I had died and been resurrected, so I used the sympathy card and got her to reopen it :love1: ! And we are still here, with all of our friendships, considering we hardly ever get to see each other! There are members on this board who I really, really care for, and we have never actually met! This board is truly a special place, and so happy that Patrish puts so much effort and sacrifice to keep it going! Highlight of trips to MB now include an evening out with Patrish and Wally, two of the most wonderful people I have ever met! As members though, we need to keep posting updates to forums to keep things current! Hope to get to meet everyone of you someday :toofless: :drinkin: :ohnoes:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am 

The fact that we are snowbirds and come for 3 months in winter I don't have the opportunity to meet many board members but have meet a few. It is true about becoming friends. We keep in touch with the people we have met over the years. The board is such a great resource when planning what to do and where to go. I too enjoy reading the trip reports but adding your opinion on restaurants or different available activities is invaluable. There is so much to do and so many places to eat why waste time eating at restaurants or attending activities that are overpriced and disappointing. I truly appreciate all the time folks take to keep us informed.
I particularly appreciate Patrish's time and effort spent to keep this board up and running. The fact that some folks don't comment doesn't mean they aren't out there checking in. Sometimes it feels as if no one is listening and that certainly is not the case. I am retired and have all the time in the world but some folks are still in busy work or family mode and are only able to take the time to check the board to see what up. These are usually the folks that visit the beach for a week and thanks to this board they are able to make every minute of that week count.
Thanks Patrish we love all you do!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Ron "Fortunately, it was right after I had died and been resurrected, so I used the sympathy card and got her to reopen it "

Ron, you are always going to extremes just to get your way. Love you, you old sea dog! :love1:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Love you too, web goddess :love1: ! Really hoping we make it down this fall, miss seeing you and Saint Wally :beerchug: :cheerleader:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:30 pm 

I love this board. Admittedly, I slacked off this past year...went back to work on a one year contract to teach kindergarten with my best friend (after being retired from teaching for 4 years...what was I thinking)...we, also, did major remodeling on our house...that and keeping the grands when their parents are working...has limited my free internet time...I hope to do better...I love hearing all trip reports and keeping up with the lives of board members.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

We still have the best message board ever for Myrtle Beach. Love all y'all bunches!