Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:22 am 

Our trip began Friday afternoon around 3:30 pm. Our first issue was just getting out of Cincinnati. We take I-75 south through Kentucky each year but currently there is major construction on the I-75 bridge which crosses the Ohio river. Traffic was very heavy all around the city. Even taking the by-pass freeway we still had a lot of stop and go traffic. This added about an hour to our Friday drive. The construction is supposed to last through August, I would avoid the area until after that time. The remainder of the Friday drive was issue free and we arrived at the Newport Tennessee Motel 6 around 9:30 pm. My wife and son in a second car started a bit later and made it to the hotel just before midnight. This was the first (and last time) we traveled with two vehicles.

Saturday we all made our traditional 6:00 am start at Cracker Barrel in Newport. After breakfast we were on the way to the beach. We made very good time and traffic didn’t seem a little lighter than usual. As we have done in the past, had lunch at Finn McCool’s to allow time for the condo to be ready. Prior to the trip the Realty company had mailed me the keys so we weren’t waiting on any calls. Lunch at Finn McCool’s wasn’t anything too special and don’t remember much about it. I just ordered the wing appetizer which I found to be very average. The rest of the crowd had assorted salads and seemed to enjoy them. I don’t think I was very hungry at the time so there are no food photos to share. After lunch we headed to the condo and found it cleaned and ready. This year we had an oceanfront 3 bedroom unit in Pelican’s Landing on Shore Drive. It was very nice which many recent remodels and very nice flat screen TV’s in every room. We quickly hit the beach for a few hours prior to relaxing that evening in the room.

This was the view from our condo when we arrived.

More to follow.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 am 

Sunday morning began with coffee on the deck. As with a lot of you, this is one of my favorite vacation activities. This morning I witnessed what could be my retirement job. Each morning a tractor drags the beach from the Pier all the way to the inlet at the end of Shore Drive.

It was a bit cloudy this morning but this did allow for some nice photo opportunities.

The clouds allowed us to stay on the beach most the day without overheating. That evening we went to Bimini’s for dinner. Bimini’s is a family favorite which we have been going to for years. Once again the food was fantastic. I had the scallops and grouper combination. Others had crab legs, grilled Mahi Mahi, crab cakes, and lemon pepper shrimp.

Monday was my first golf morning. The clouds kept the temperature down which was welcome for a July round. We played Eagles Nest which is in the Little River area. It’s a “lower tier” course for Myrtle Beach standards but I thought it was very nice.

That afternoon we went to Broadway at the Beach rather than the beach due to the rain. We shopped for a few hours then dined at Johnny Rockets. We were going to try Wahlburgers but the line was extremely long and I was hungry.
Than evening we again hung out on the deck drinking assorted cocktails. We watched as a group was taking wedding photos on the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:58 am 

Nice trip report ! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:37 pm 

Great report - thanks ! :nanner: I miss Biminis so much ! (among many others.....)

Love the retirement job idea.... I might be in line with you for that one !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:46 pm 

Tuesday morning began with breakfast on the deck.

The day was a bit cloudy and rainy but we managed a little more time at the beach. I began to worry that the weather wasn’t going to cooperate this year. Dinner was a first time visit to Brother Shucker’s. Honestly this place completely surprised me. It was much nicer than I imagined and the food was incredible. I ordered crab stuffed Mahi Mahi, my wife had the crab cakes (which came with mac and cheese) and my son had the Bro platter, a big portion of ribs, shrimp and chicken. The food was excellent. We had a restaurant.com gift certificate which got us $25 off the tab. I would definitely go back. The place is a bit small and reservations may be needed. We went early so our party of six was not an issue.

After dinner we spent some time at Ocean Annie’s. This was a good day.

Wednesday was golf day number two. We played at Aberdeen. I had played there 10 years ago and wanted to check it out again. It had been closed all winter due to damage from last fall’s hurricane. The conditions were very good and I enjoyed the round.

We finally had mostly sunny skies so the afternoon was spent on the beach. We had dinner in the condo that evening.

Thursday morning we walked up to the Apache Pier and had breakfast at Croakers. We went out on the pier and watched people fishing for a while and took a few more photos.

Spent a great sunny day on the beach and then dinner at the House of Blues. Bought a $50 gift certificate from Restaurant.com. Dinner was once again very good. I had the ribs while others had steak street taco’s, shrimp and grits, and jambalaya. Appetizers we also tried the jalapeno cornbread and the calamari, both were delicious. Here’s a few photos:

Friday was our final day. I decided not to golf due to the heat. We took a walk south on the beach to the inlet at the end of shore drive. This is a good area for shells.

The weather was sunny again which made for a good final beach day. In the afternoon the lifeguards put up warning flags for marine life warnings. It looked like a long dark strip in the water near where it drops off slightly. I believe it could have been jelly fish but I was never told. It was time for us to call it a day anyway. We have our final meal at Bimini’s. It was excellent as usual.

That evening I packed the two cars as best I could and set an alarm for 3:30 am. The drive home was easy till we hit heavier traffic in Kentucky. With two cars I had to do much more of the driving. I don’t believe we will have the crowd to require two cars again in the future.

The week was very relaxing with no real issues. Not sure when my next trip to Myrtle Beach will be. Next year we will be heading to Hawaii. Perhaps I may sneak down for a guy’s golf trip or maybe just my wife and I in the fall of 2018. I will continue to check into this board frequently to keep up on all that is Myrtle Beach.

Take care.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

Love those beach photos!

I'll check into Brother Shucker's. Thanks for the review! I'll have to tell my dad (the crab cake connoisseur of MD) about the crab cakes. I looked through Yelp and apparently the owner is from MD thus making the crab cakes MD style (although, many places in MB say that and it's not true!)

Thanks for the trip report!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:23 pm 

What a great trip report! I loved the addition of pictures it adds so much. I really do need to figure out how do do this. Lol. I am glad you had a good time. We tried Bimini's last year after all the reviews I have read on the board and it was a nice surprise. Thanks for taking the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Wow! EXCELLENT trip review, and the photos are fantastic! Thank you for putting in the time it took to get this done! (I know it was not easy!) Glad you found some good shells and enjoyed the various restaurants! (IMHO -you didn't miss much skipping Wahlburgers.) Thanks for letting us follow you around the beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:55 am 

Great report. Added pictures was a great bonus. Glad you enjoyed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am 

I appreciate the food photos. We are always looking out for restaurants we haven't tried before. I'm glad the clouds gave you some relief from the heat. I hope we have no cloude when we visit in a couple of weeks. We hope to see the eclipse unobstructed. Nice report.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 pm 

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! What a great report! Aberdeen Golf is right near our home! So glad you enjoyed it! I never hear too many references to the courses along Highway 9 so that was fun!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 pm 

Great report, thank you.