Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby sun shades
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:34 pm 

I know baby sun shades are allowed in NMB, do they have to be behind the umbrella line or can they be placed anywhere on the beach?

Post subject: Re: Baby sun shades
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the information I found. I don't thikj anyone will object to baby sun shades as long as they are not placed to block the lifeguard's view of the beach.

>…The North Myrtle Beach City Council unanimously passed this week first reading of an ordinance amending the beach tent ban to allow baby tents. Under the proposed change, tents no more than 31 inches tall, 31-and-a-half inches wide and 38 inches deep can be used to shade babies no older than 18 months.
here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/l ... rylink=cpy

>...SHADING DEVICES ON THE BEACH: Placement of shading devices on the beach from May 15 through September 15: Other than umbrellas with a center pole no greater than 7 feet, 6 inches in height and with a circular shade no greater than 9 feet in diameter, and shading devices no larger than 36 inches high by 36 inches wide and 36 inches deep used to provide shade to persons 18 months of age or younger, all shading devices, including but not limited to tents, tarps, cabanas, pavilions, sports-brellas or devices similar to sports-brellas, or any material mounted on supports are prohibited from being placed on the beach from May 15 through September 15. An umbrella is defined as a collapsible circular shade consisting of a natural or synthetic fabric stretched over hinged ribs radiating from a center pole without grounding lines or ropes.
http://www.nmb.us/Page.aspx?id=40

The CITY of MYRTLR BEACH says this:
<…however, baby tents no larger than 36" high by 36" wide by 36" deep may be used year-round on the beach to shade infants and small children.

Umbrellas must not impede lifeguard line of sight, access or egress from the lifeguard stand.

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/tents.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 pm 

I'm a little confused, I read something the other day that said umbrellas had to be behind rental umbrellas. That doesn't sound like that is the case. Can we put umbrellas wherever we want to as long as they don't block the lifeguards view or do they have to be behind the city's umbrellas? :dontknow:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:23 am 

No, the lifeguards will not allow any umbrellas in front of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:36 am 

thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:28 am 

They cannot be placed anywhere on the beach. :smash[1]:

Last edited by Henderon4 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:26 am 

Surfside had a really confusing canopy law go into place this year. In 2018 the whole town has banned the tent canopy, but according to a council meeting this year they were only banned from 10th Avenue South down to the the city limit line at Garden City. Before we left for vacation we called Surfside city hall (three different people called on different days) and asked them to be certain and they said nothing was banned until 2018.

When we get to Surfside the tent canopy was not allowed were we sit on the beach around 13th Ave . S ocean Blvd. No big deal because we want to Costco and bought some really good Tommy Bahama umbrellas which we liked just as good as the tent. Just found it kind of odd that we talked to both Surfside City Hall and the police station before we left and I don't even think they understood the shading device law put in place.