Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We will not be back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 am 

Regrettably, after spending vacations for the last 22 years in Myrtle, I have to say we will not be returning.

All week long we have been commenting that the beaches did not seem as crowded, traffic was lighter, and restaurant waits shorter. We wondered if it had anything to do with the recent crime and shootings in the news.

That was answered last night when we left the Broadway Grand Prix to find that both of our vehicles had their windows smashed out and robbed. I believe they were actually in the process as we walked up because a vehicle left abruptly and we were able to get a license number.

My wife's purse and all contents were taken, although they left other items and a wallet in the car. The other vehicle had a purse and contents taken, although they then again left two other purses in there.

We have been on the phones (the ones that are left) since midnight with banks, credit card companies and insurance and glass companies. We need to have windows replaced today as we leave Saturday morning.

If there is a bright spot it is that I had my wallet with me, phones hidden in the door pocket, and the other vehicle's driver had all cash on him. Broadway Grand Prix did refund all of our money and lent us a shop vac to help clean up the glass. The police came and took a report but I don't look for anything to happen. The police said there was another vehicle robbery just prior to this at Broadway.

It was good while it lasted but I can't in good conscious continue to vacation here.

Post subject: Re: We will not be back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:11 am 

Wow that's horrible, people can be scumbags. Not MB related, but when I was in college my roommates car that was parked directly in front of our building, right in view of security cameras had his windows smashed and stereo equipment stolen. People just don't care, they rather do that than get a job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 am 

budwash435 wrote:
Wow that's horrible, people can be scumbags. Not MB related, but when I was in college my roommates car that was parked directly in front of our building, right in view of security cameras had his windows smashed and stereo equipment stolen. People just don't care, they rather do that than get a job.

I've had that happen at home a few times. Both times valuables where in view. The bad thing was that I was trying to sell a car once and one of the kids had left an empty purse that they play with in the back seat. Got a window busted out for someone to steal an empty purse. The next time wasn't so lucky when the wife had just cashed her weekly pay check.

Myrtle Beach is having real issues right now controlling the scum in their city. They have built some high draw attractions right outside of some questionable neighborhoods and it is making tourist uneasy to visit. If they don't get a handle on the situation then wait times may get even shorter. I too have commented on the lack of traffic in the area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 pm 

Getting on topic of the traffic, my last 3 years to MB have been in mid September, mid August, and Late August. Now I know September traffic etc is expected to be limited, but even when we came back in August the following two years I noticed its not quite as heavy as it was years prior (we've been going in August for the last 7 years or so).

I just read on MB news that there was a stabbing in Little River at a bar, and they busted a prostitution ring in Surfside.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 pm 

I've been down here a week and have not felt unsafe. With that being said the only time I have been out of the car in the actual city of MB was at Broadway once and Maggie D's one evening. I hate that cars would be broken into at an establishment as busy as the Broadway Grand Prix. Time to invest in more lighting and better security cameras. A few episodes like the one above and the money lost would more than pay for the extra security.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:08 pm 

Obviously I have yet to be there after all these crimes and what not, but I don't think I've ever felt unsafe in the MB area either. I'm surprised those lots don't already have cameras, then again cars get broken into all the time, everywhere, every day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 pm 

I see a common item with your post in that the items left in the car are in view of outsiders. This is a typical smash and grab robbery that happens all over the US. Recently my small neighborhood had the same issue. All in all they got away with over $800 of items that were either in plain view or the cars were left unlocked.

I cannot stress to people no matter where you go to hide valuables, electronics, DVD players, etc. Easy targets that people can get into your car and take it with little or no effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 pm 

One time, I got a flat tire. I had it fixed and I still drive to this day.

The point is, a bad moment doesn't make a bad day, bad week or bad life. It's easy to remember the 2 minutes of hell and easy to forget the 1,438 minutes of serenity.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Leo (who most of our members remember well) said it much better than I ever could, so here's his quote that appeared on this message board:

Living in a resort location skews criminal statistics because of the transient nature and large numbers of petty criminals that frequent the place. Remember, our population increases to over 14 million people visiting us every year. Statistically, if even a fraction of 1% of those people are shady characters, you'll havee your share of issues to deal with. However, if you account for that appropriately, I don't believe the crime statistics are that far out of line with what you might see in similar sized communities that are not resort-driven.

So sure, if you read the newspaper every day, and if you try to compare it to the statistics in say, Xenia, Ohio, then you may walk away feeling like we live in a cesspool of crime. In reality most of the crime is either petty or, when it is violent, tends to be domestic in nature or at least violence perpetrated or known individuals. In other words, it's not random.

Here's something important to keep in mind: In crimes that don't have an immediate "solution", the local law enforcement organizations are VERY competent and amazingly successful in "getting their man (or woman)." There have been countless occasions where some perp is at-large on a Tuesday, and by Thursday the newspaper is reporting that he's behind bars eating his moldy bread and drinking dank water. And trust me, some of these crimes have very little evidence to go on when first reported so tracking down these clowns is not easy. Even aty the kind of disadvantage the city and county detectives are extremely efficient. I've read a crime story in the newspaper to my wife and finished by saying, "They'll have this guy in cuffs by the end of this week." I'm hardly ever wrong!

The bottom line is this -- I never felt uncomfortable one second while living here. Even in areas that Patrish professes some degree of fear I don't think it's quite as bad as the reputation may suggest. Clearly there are areas to avoid at some times of the night, but you're going to get that in ANY city or toewn of just about any size. Use common sense. But if you're worried about safety in your neighborhood or while you're shopping at the local retail stores, malls, or business parks, you're wasting your emotional cycles. There is absolutely no need to be anything but completely at ease while living here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 am 

[quote]So sure, if you read the newspaper every day, and if you try to compare it to the statistics in say, Xenia, Ohio, then you may walk away feeling like we live in a cesspool of crime. In reality most of the crime is either petty or, when it is violent, tends to be domestic in nature or at least violence perpetrated or known individuals. In other words, it's not random.[quote]

How weird that I am from little ol' Xenia, Ohio.

~Kari~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:35 am 
Site Admin

We have had our vehicle robbed right in our own driveway twice! So, you can run, but you can't hide :???: ! No matter where you go, there are always some, that wish to prey on others!! Myrtle Beach is no exception! JMHO :tongue3:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:39 am 

I agree, it happens everywhere. It has been a problem in our local area and we live in a "nice" part of town. That being said, I think there are still things that can be done as common sense measures at these tourist attractions. We were down there the last week of June. We made several comments about the lack of lighting in most of the parking lots. Even at Broadway, we left the Aquarium fairly late and I have to admit, I was hyper aware of our surroundings. We were parked in close proximity to the aquarium, but the lot was still very dimly lit. Many of the golf places are the same way. I also agree that you have to stop leaving anything in the car. I dragged my purse with me everywhere we went. You just can't make it easy for these pos thieves. We did feel that the whole area was less crowded than in past years. We had no waits for dinner, even when going at prime time. Traffic wasn't nearly as bad either. We don't go near downtown or Ocean Blvd, and I have to admit, we didn't bother with Coastal Grand Mall this year either. Not necessarily because of prior occurrences, just one less parking lot to have to walk out to at night. So I guess the increase in violence did affect us in that we were very vigilant and aware of our surroundings, but in today's world, I think this is the case everywhere you go.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Thanks y'all for your thoughtful responses in this string. It's a shame, but the U.S. of today is far removed from the years I spent growing up.

I know I have mentioned previously that each community in Myrtle Beach has safety/crime meetings once a month. Ours is The Market Common District. Various people associated with the police and crime prevention departments give us a heads up on crimes that have been committed, pass around "wanted" pictures and give helpful tips.

You may want to put this phone number in your contacts:
843-918-1382
If you see or experience crime, don't call the emergency number 911 because the relay time of getting it back to the police department is too long. This number goes directly to the MB police and has a very quick response time.

Another suggestion: Coastal Grand Mall offers many parking spaces and not enough night lighting. If you forget where you parked or feel uncomfortable walking around the lot, you can always watch for the mall golf cart patrol which circles that mall, but you can also call the number above which will result in the police coming to your aid and helping you find your car.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 pm 

Its a shame crime happens. Everywhere. You turn on the news where I live and in the Pittsburgh area there is always a shooting, and some other kind of crime. Daily.

Eventually if the area in Myrtle Beach gets worse over the years we will not return. We always stay in North Myrtle Beach, or the northern part of Myrtle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:53 am 

Thanks for everyone's replies and comments. Just wanted to give you an update on the situation since we returned.

Both my wife and I have been contacted by a detective with the MB Police Deptartment for additional statements, although our family friend and driver of the other vehicle has not been contacted. We honestly do not expect anything more to come of this and have long since chalked it up to bad luck. My wife is very vocal and did let the detective know that although these things happen, it was the way the MB Police handled it that we are disappointed in.

The MB police arrived about ten to fifteen minutes after we call, with two patrol cars, both driven by what looked to be twenty-year-old officers. My wife explained that her entire purse with contents were taken, and he then asked to see her license.?? Yeah, it was in the purse. I provided the officer with a license plate number and description of the vehicle that had left rather abruptly when we came back to the cars. The kids also chased the car to the closest red light that they were stuck in, which took off when the kids got close.

The police ran the plates and they came back to a vehicle matching the description we provided, and registered in a town about two hours away. Nothing more was ever done with this information, although they said they may contact the police department in that town, which to my knowledge has never happened.

I believe the thieves were mainly looking for cash, and if so, we lost about $15. No activity has ever shown up on any of our credit cards. What upset my wife the most is that she had a small datebook in there that she keeps for appointments and reminders, but she also has all of her login passwords and pin numbers, social security numbers and other info in there. Chances are that book got tossed in the trash immediately but it could have been bad if someone had looked hard enough.

The best part was when we received a copy of the police report in the mail a week later (which is also available online for anyone inclined to look up that sort of thing), there was a detailed inventory list of items taken. The last item the officer was sure to include was a "date book with account passwords and pin numbers and social security numbers". So glad they gave the thieves a heads up on that just in case they still had that book in their possession.

There are security cameras at the wax museum next door, but the officers did not have much interest into checking into that. We also mentioned that there are traffic cams at the red light, but the officer stated that he "didn't know how those work".

The detective following up with this last week at first said she did not have any record of us ever providing a license number or description, but did call back the next day to say that she must have overlooked that and had since found the information. She also ran the plate numbers and again it came back to a vehicle such as we described. It is registered to an older person in their sixties, but that they do have a younger son. They are going to attempt to contact them. I questioned why a couple in their sixties would be at the Broadway Gran Prix without any younger kids. Maybe I missed it but I did not see any 60-ish couples racing around in go-karts that night. May want to look at the son and buddy who may have been the ones in the truck.

The man that replaced my windows the next day told me he has lived in the area his entire life and that things have gotten bad recently. He showed me the 32 pistol that he carries in his front pocket, the 45 he has in his truck, and told me that there a few neighborhoods in the area that he will not do a service call in. They have to bring the vehicle to him.

Again, I know it can happen anywhere. If I happen to get a flat tire from driving down a back road shortcut that is riddled with scrap metal, I don't give up driving, but chances are I won't drive down that road again.

I apologize for the lengthy post. We have always loved Myrtle, it has been a great place to bring our kids while growing up, and this year we have stayed in our nicest condo yet in the Northern part of MB (area we always stay in). We purposely avoided the "bad areas" but the environment has changed a lot. The next day I woke up to news of three massage parlors being busted for prostitution in Myrtle, a shooting in Socastee, and a stabbing in Little River.

I think at this point it would be best to tap out.