Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:34 pm 

We took the 2 grand kids on a vacation a few weeks ago. We stayed at the Compass Cove for a few days. We have stayed there before and knew the kids would enjoy. They are 6 & 9 yrs old. Addy(9) had been to the beach with us a few years ago but Daltyn(6) had never been. We like the Compass Cove because they have so many pools...the kids pool was a big hit with the grands...and there were always plenty of chairs and lounges for the adults...all the families that were there were great...the kids all played well...the grands made lots of new friends...so did the adults...we spent most of the day hours at the pools/lazy rivers...then went out on the beach later in the day...I think the kids love the huge sand box that the beaches are...we had to drag them in to eat...we used tons of sunscreen and no one got a sunburn...yay...Daltyn has Eczema and is allergic to many sunscreens...his dermatologist recommended Australian Blue Lizard Sensitive sunscreen 30...which we used...it is very thick but it worked great...of course, they love the banner planes...they liked reading the banners...well, I guess that made the trip educational...right?...they were reading...the favorite was "Linda, will you marry me?"

We ate breakfast 2 days at the hotel buffet...it is an average breakfast...biggest hit were the waffle makers...kids loved them...they have four waffle machines but they are always crowded the food was plentiful and hot...they had staff checking the temp of the food constantly and cleaning any messes...

Our favorite place to eat at the resort is the Crows Nest Restaurant...quick food...good prices...great staff...it is a bar...but families feel welcome...they do to go orders as well...food and drinks...seating inside or outside on a patio...they make great milkshakes...among other things

There is a small coffee bar with Starbucks, as well...good and quick...

The only extra thing we did was the Pirates Voyage show. This is a great show...Terry and I had seen it a few years ago...and we knew the kids would love it...We did the "Join the Pirates Crew" add on package...where the kids can choose to be made up as a pirate or a mermaid...it was great...the grands loved it ...the staff was super, young people who were friendly with the kids...and knew what they were doing and were so calm considering the number of kids they were working with...I was impressed...then we watched the pre show...and best of all after the pre show...with this package you go directly to the show hall and do not have to wait outside until the general admissions are let in...
Now, we knew the food was not exactly kids type food so we fed the kids before the show...lol...and after the show...good thing...they could not take their eyes off the performance...to say they were enthralled...is mild...I think the best part of the meal is the soup and biscuit that you get first...the rest of the meal is just so...so chicken, BBQ...potato...corn on the cob...apple turnover for dessert...and what ever drink you choose...it was a great time...

So you see we did not do a lot...it was all about the kids...we left on Thursday...headed for Pigeon Forge/ Dollywood...we had a great time there as well

For the long rides...we had bought dual screen DVD player for the car(headphones, too) they were entertained for most of the driving time...they had coloring supplies, books to read, and snacks...yes, I guess we are the grand parents who spoil their grand kids...but when we got home...it took Terry and I several days of laying around the house to recuperate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by ohiojo on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:00 pm 

What a blast ! While we are in no hurry to have grandkids, you know the beach is the first place we'll take them !

Quote:
the grands made lots of new friends...so did the adults

It is funny how many great people you meet through your kids/grandkids/dogs !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! Great trip review. Thanks so much for taking the time to write and post this! I loved following you around our beach reading about your various experiences! THANK YOU!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:56 am 

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a great week.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm 

It really was a great time...made even better the other day when Daltyn was visiting at our house...his first statement..."I am such a lucky kid...I will never forget the most awesome vacation ever that we just had" too cute! I hope we get to take many more trips! We will be back at Surfside in a few weeks for our more adult trip...it will be much more relaxing! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
Pretty lucky grands!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:42 am 
Site Admin

"I am such a lucky kid."
Awww.....that is just so special!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:52 am 

ohiojo wrote:
It really was a great time...made even better the other day when Daltyn was visiting at our house...his first statement..."I am such a lucky kid...I will never forget the most awesome vacation ever that we just had"

One thing that is a non-negotiable at our house is the annual MB vacation. Money can get tight at times, but we will always somehow come up with enough to take our yearly vacation. Vacations are some of the best memories that you will ever have and more people need to make it happen. I was lucky to have parents that took me on lots of vacations and I have been fortunate enough to do the same for my kids .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 am 

Hi JoAnn, really enjoyed reading your trip report. Sounds like you had a great time with your grandkids. Glad you enjoyed the second half of your trip to TN. Hearing from friends there that business has been slower this year. Since I lived in Pigeon Forge for 28 yrs it has a special place in my heart. I wake up every morning so thankful to be living in Surfside Beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am 

One of the best things in life is to make memories with grandkids. Your trip sounded like alll had a good time. I hear you about taking a few days to catch your breathe. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:44 pm 

Yes, we always make sure we go on trips...the memories are invaluable.

Judy, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg may be slower business wise...but there sure were a lot of people on the Gatlinburg strip...and at Dollywood. We had a great time. We enjoy our trips there as much as we do the beach...but...I just like going on trips...I do not have to be asked twice...

Even now, as summer is coming to a close...the grands are still talking about their vacation...we made a Shutterfly book about their trip and they are looking at it every time they visit.
We just got back from our "adult" trip to Surfside...they were a little miffed that they could not come with us.