Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:34 pm 

Well we have made it. Just a few pockets of rain early in the drive, but pretty much a dry drive down. Arrived at the beach at 11:30 am and enjoyed a burger with a beach view at River City Cafe. I really don't enjoy the food that much , but the atmosphere and the placement of River City Surfside just starts it out right. More details to come later.

Last edited by MBKY on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the beach! :nanner:

Hope the weather will clear up and be beautiful, sunny, and not too hot!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:18 am 

Glad to be at the beach Patrish. Hope time slows down just a little. Typing this while sitting on the beach.

Forecast for Sunday was rain starting at 11 am but fortunately it held off untill after 3. A little cloudy but overall a good beach day. A few of us got sunburns which is pretty common on cloudy beach days. Sunscreen doesn't get the needed attention on days like this.

It was our usual beach then dinner. Half of our crew went to Hot Fish Club, while my family decided to wait on our Monday Driftwoods seafood fix and went to the Bar b Cue House instead. Bar B Cue house was solid as usual, but Hot Fish Club was a unanimous disappointment for those that went there. Some items undercooked, other overcooked. Hopefully Driftwoods doesn't disappoint. Looks like a great beach day today and I'm going to enjoy it. Updates coming later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm 

Enjoy the trip! My countdown is at least down to single digit work days!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm 

Overcast days can sure trick ya!! Thanks for food updates!! Love knowing where everyone eats and what was good and not. We are thinking ahead of where we would like to try different this year!

Carol (KY)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 am 

Thanks so much for checking in while you're there!! Have a wonderful time and keep us posted! :sunny: :sunny:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

The sunset last night ( 27th) was to die for! Hope you enjoyed it!

I'm really sorry to hear about Hot Fish Club, but I totally respect your opinion. While not a regular for us, we always enjoyed it a few times a year. I do hope you will write a letter or send an email to them about your unfortunate experience.

Hope you are on the beach today enjoying our sunshine!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 pm 

patrish wrote:
The sunset last night ( 27th) was to die for! Hope you enjoyed it!

I'm really sorry to hear about Hot Fish Club, but I totally respect your opinion. While not a regular for us, we always enjoyed it a few times a year. I do hope you will write a letter or send an email to them about your unfortunate experience.

Hope you are on the beach today enjoying our sunshine!

We were on the beach yesterday evening (27th) taking pictures and the glow was surreal. I can't explain what it looked like. The water had a red glow on on it which I hope shows up on the camera. I've not even looked at the pics , so I couldn't tell you if it did. Was a view that I can't remember ever seeing.

I didn't personally go to the Hot Fish Club, but the ones that did wasn't impressed. I read a review on Trip Advisor form the other day and someone on there was not impressed with the meal there either. Might be someone new in the kitchen that is struggling right now.

The last three days have been gorgeous. Lots of sunshine and low humidity. Rare to get that in the south this time of year. Best weather I can remember at the beach. Humidity supposed to return by the end of the week, but we will be headed home shortly after. I will give a more detailed account when I get home.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm 

Time to finish the report. We arrived back home around 2:30 a.m on July 1.

I will just try to summarize how our week went.

Saturday June 24. Left Kentucky at 4 a.m and arrived in MB at 11:30. Traffic was light all the way into the beach which was somewhat of a surprise. We usually jump on HWY 22 and bypass parts of 501 and 544 , but didn't have to this time. I always pull out at 4 am, but the rest of my family that comes down usually leaves around 7 a.m. After a few 9+ hour trips down in years past they decided to pull out around the same time we did and I think they will be leaving with us from now on. A MB trip from home should be no more than 7.5 and I think we have found the perfect pull out time to make that happen.

Food on first day was River City and Dominoes. River City is just a view thing for me. I could care less about their food. To me, Dominoes has got the best pizza going right now and since we don't have one in our town, I usually eat it on the road. Great pizza and garlic bites. Didn't do much, but lay around the room. Did make a trip to Surfside Piggly Wiggly right before check in for a few essentials. Took the little one down to the beach store near the mall at Murrells inlet to see the sharks and two iguanas. Wal Mart is a no go for me on opening day, but my brother did go around 2 pm to the one in Garden City and said it was not its usual mad house.

Sunday
Beach day was beautiful. Typical for every day this week. A MB day for us is beach it until about 2 or 3 and go back and clean up to eat. Pretty boring stuff. Went to the Bar-B- Cue House for dinner. Good solid meal. Didn't do much but hang out at the room after eating.

Monday
My favorite meal at the beach is always on Monday. After another great beach day, we were back to the room to clean up and get to Driftwoods. Monday is BOGO get one 1/2 off day. The last few years Driftwoods has been packed so to be safe we called ahead to seat our big party. We were seated immediately, but oddly enough the place didn't have the people waiting outside as in years past. I don't think the popularity of the place is down, because it gets active recommendations on trip advisor from some regulars and the reviews have mostly been solid. I just don't think there was as many people at the beach this year. We didn't wait at a restaurant all week. The food was great and the entire group agrees it's their favorite meal at the beach and that's with some of them going to Sara J's, Lee's Inlet, and Hot Fish Club during the week. I always get the Captains Platter and the wife gets a Filet Mignon for the 1/2 off part. The seafood is excellent as well as the steak.

Went to BATB after the meal. Wife and little one (girl) made their annual pilgrimage to the Dinosaur Adventure while I took the boy over to give him a beaten at what is left of the Dragon Lair Putt Putt. He had a one stroke lead going into #16, but my only hole in one of the day and a four for him got me the win. The wait time was pretty bad since they had demolished 18 of the 36 holes on the course. The slow play cost me and extra $30 since the wife had to continue entertaining the little one and ended up in Build a Bear while the waited. Back to the room after that.

Tuesday. Another beach day and out to eat. Usually a repeat for us. Went to Maggie D's to eat. Used call ahead for our big party and got there in time for the early bird. Online menu is kind of confusing because the dinner menu doesn't mention early bird and the lunch menu has an 11-3 early bird. I had called ahead and made sure they still had it and they did. Early Bird is around $12 with a $1 add on for the soup. French Onion soup was great and pasta was good. Even with the early bird, this was the most expensive meal of the trip. After eating we went back to Surfside for beach pics and then to Ole Fashioned Ice Cream for BOGO scoops.

Wednesday- Another Fabulous beach day. Couldn't of asked for better weather this week. Our food choice was once again Dominoes. The kids needed to hit some golf balls and tonight was the perfect night. Humidity was super low today for late June at the beach. Ran down to Tupelo Bay to hit balls. $16 for a large bucket of balls and 1/4 of the balls should of been replaced three of four years ago. When balls start turning three or four ways during the flight it's pretty much time to clean the range and buy new balls. Still got in some needed practice though.

Thursday - Perfect weather once again. Humidity climbed a little, but I've been to MB with much more muggy weather. The wife and girls ate to go from KFC and I took the boy down to Prosser's which is his favorite place. I could swear they were missing a seafood item from years past, but the food was still great. It's the only buffet that I have ever been that I can truthfully say that I haven't tried anything on the bar that wasn't any good. The southern comfort foods they serve are all really good as is the seafood. The price creeps up about a $1 each year, but it did hold steady at $14.95 this year. Started out at $11.95 with free tea when we started. Still not a bad value at $14.95 minus the tea now. After the meal we picked the girls back up the room and headed to the north end Tanger Outlet before heading back to the Ole Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor for BOGO banana splits. Always one of our favorites for the trip.

Friday. Was planning on the beach, but the little one had been wanting to go to the condo waterpark all week and we hadn't got down there. Forecast called for rain, so it wasn't a bad call. Got in a couple of hours before the skies started to look bad and we headed back to the room. The radar really looked worse than the actual rain. It did end up raining for a little bit, but nothing real bad. Since we were back in the room early I talked the wife into packing up the clothes for the trip home. I had to promise her a stop at the Tanger on 501, but it would be worth it to get home a few hours earlier. We normally leave around 10 or 11 pm on Friday night, but was able to get out at 7:30 on this trip. It was a dreary day and we didnt' miss out on any beach day by leaving a few hours earlier. I prefer to drive at night with less traffic and not fight the check out crowd on 501 the next day. Ended up leaving the Chick-fil A across from Tangers at 7:30 and was home 7 hours later.

We didn't seem to do as much on this trip. Only one stop at Broadway and once to each Tanger outlets. Beach weather was the best that I can remember and we spent a little more time there than usual. I've come to the conclusion that I really have only two must eats during the week and those are Prosser's and Driftwoods. My brother that went to Sara J's and Lees Inlet during the week ended up eating a second meal at Driftwood's on departure day. That says a lot right there because budget for dining is not really an issue for them and Driftwood's was good enough for a return trip. Best Value/food combination at the beach IMO. The area didn't seem to be as crowded the week we were down. It might of just been me, but crossing business 17 was much easier and food waits were never bad. Enjoyed the trip and can't wait to get down again next year. Counting down the days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:38 pm 

Thanks for the report ! Psyched to travel along.... You are amazing at finding BOGO's !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

KirkG wrote:
Thanks for the report ! Psyched to travel along.... You are amazing at finding BOGO's !

Most of the BOGOs are from info on the board. Been going a lot of years doesn't hurt either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm 

Thanks for the trip report...they keep me going between beach trips!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:27 pm 

ohiojo wrote:
Thanks for the trip report...they keep me going between beach trips!

I really look forward to the trip reports and feel obligated to share even though I'm not the best at putting my thoughts down. I miss the days of checking in and seeing almost a daily report during the summer. Where have all those people gone?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:28 am 
Site Admin

>…A MB day for us is beach it until about 2 or 3 and go back and clean up to eat. Pretty boring stuff.
Actually not boring at all. It’s the same thing we visit other beaches when on vacation. There is a peaceful feeling about the beach - any beach I suppose - that somehow clears your mind.

BATB - always a must. But I miss seeing the dragon, and I’ve heard other people complain about whatever it is they are doing there. (What ARE they doing? Anyone know?)

Maggie D’s early bird is a good value. We also like the Ole Fashioned Ice Cream in Surfside. Good choices!

Happy for you that the weather was good! The time of year you can’t trust the forecasts. Rain can be coming down hard in one spot, but the sun is shining less than 5 miles away.

Thanks for writing this trip review! Loved following you around the beach!

Where have all the people gone? Social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. None of these were around in the glory days of our message board. I notice the "old-timers" (and I'm not talking about age) still check in, just not as often. The format of the old "message boards" including this one are archaic compared to the technology available now. Several photo forums as well as travel forums that I sued to enjoy have been closed.

Who's reading this now? Please check in once in awhile just to let us know you're still here and reading!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

Great trip report!! Thank you. I check the message board all most everyday,we(my wife and I) do not facebook. There is way too much BS and drama on it for us, so I am thankful for the boards like this. I hope it never goes away!