Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm 

So I have to see the fireworks at both Broadway and barefoot so one night will be at Landry's seafood and Greg Norman's Australian grill (places you can eat when you don't bring the kids).
Our Murrell's inlet night is a tossup between drunken Jack's and the dead dog saloon.
I'm still trying to talk my wife into either Sara J's seafood or Nancy's Creekside for another night.

And the other nights are between
Carolina roadhouse
Paula Deen new place and Broadway. If open
Margaritaville for the drinks
flying fish @ barefoot landing

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:53 pm 

I know it will change, but here is our plans

River City for our annual arrival lunch ( probably one of the few lunches we eat out. Usually snack at the beach and eat early dinners)

Dominoes for dinner on travel day. Not been wowed by a pizza at the beach and we don't have a Dominoes in town and we like their Pizza.

Must eats
Maggie D's
Prosser's
Driftwoods
Bar-b-cue House

Might go to
Nacho Hippo's
New China
Bimini's

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 pm 

shoemak38 wrote:
So I have to see the fireworks at both Broadway and barefoot so one night will be at Landry's seafood and Greg Norman's Australian grill (places you can eat when you don't bring the kids).
Our Murrell's inlet night is a tossup between drunken Jack's and the dead dog saloon.
I'm still trying to talk my wife into either Sara J's seafood or Nancy's Creekside for another night.

Carolina roadhouse

I recommend Flying Fish! My parents and I have eaten there several times. The food and the service are excellent. We've never had a bad meal or experience there.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 pm 

shoemak38 wrote:

Good call on Margaritaville for the drinks. It used to be our annual stop for lunch on the way in, but once we started totalling up meal bills for the week it was sticker shock for what you got. A couple of shared sandwich meals, nacho appetizer, couple of kids meal and a cold beer was ending up as one of our higher stops of the week. If that was for a couple of Captain platters of good seafood I wouldn't mind paying it, but for nachos and burgers it's kind of high.

I do enjoy sitting at the outside bar for a couple of cold ones. Can't beat the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:57 pm 

Just got back Saturday from Myrtle Beach. Our restaurants were:

Ultimate California Pizza -- kind of embarrassed to admit, we ordered pizza 3 days lol but we LOVE that pizza!
River City Café -- ate here twice, love their burgers and grilled ham and cheese, and Grape Apes!
Burro Loco -- not as good as it has been in the past, I miss some items from their menu change a few years back
Sweet Carolinas -- mmm bbq, good bbq
CreekRatz -- decent burgers, but mainly go for the atmosphere
Johhny D's -- amazing breakfast! the cinnamon waffle was so darn good!

Enjoy your trip!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:15 am 

micountrygal wrote:

Burro Loco -- not as good as it has been in the past, I miss some items from their menu change a few years back

!

I'm about to the point where I just try to find some shopping center Mexican place instead of going to a place like Burro Loco. If you can find the right one it's just as good and about 1/3 cheaper.

Did Sweet Carolina have pretty good service? We went a few years back after they had just opened and they were missing some key items off their menu. Hopefully they have gotten it figured out. I love a good BBQ place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:37 pm 

MBKY wrote:
micountrygal wrote:

!

I'm about to the point where I just try to find some shopping center Mexican place instead of going to a place like Burro Loco. If you can find the right one it's just as good and about 1/3 cheaper.

Did Sweet Carolina have pretty good service? We went a few years back after they had just opened and they were missing some key items off their menu. Hopefully they have gotten it figured out. I love a good BBQ place.

Still enjoy Burro Loco - but it isn't as good as it has been, that's disappointing. Where do you recommend? We'd try another Mexican place if it was better!

We had great service at Sweet Carolinas. Had the combo chicken/pork plate. The only thing we noticed is they don't offer a baked potato anymore, and they used to have huge taters that were really good. I've been there twice when they didn't have the bbq half chicken - the first time they weren't ready and the second time they had sold out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:55 pm 

micountrygal wrote:
MBKY wrote:
micountrygal wrote:

!

Still enjoy Burro Loco - but it isn't as good as it has been, that's disappointing. Where do you recommend? We'd try another Mexican place if it was better!

We had great service at Sweet Carolinas. Had the combo chicken/pork plate. The only thing we noticed is they don't offer a baked potato anymore, and they used to have huge taters that were really good. I've been there twice when they didn't have the bbq half chicken - the first time they weren't ready and the second time they had sold out.

I actually think the baked potato was one of the items that they were out of when we went a few years back .

I've heard pretty good stuff about
La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant. What's amazing though is somehow every Mexican restaurant I ever walk into has the same exact number for their combination platters. When I looked at the La Hacienda menu online I did notice that the exact combination that we get here at home is $2 to $3 higher at La Hacienda . Must be a tourist city thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:20 pm 

We are just 40 days away.

Our first dinner night will be Sunday and we always go to Bimini's. (We stay in the Shore Drive area.)

We will be going to two other restaurants because we have Restaurant.com gift certificates.
1. The restaurant at The House of Blues - (We have never had a bad meal here.)
2. Brother Shuckers Fish House - (This will be our first visit.)

Probably will work one additional Restaurant into the mix but we don't have any real "must do" places.

Thinking about Wahlburgers or somewhere else new.

We usually dine on Ultimate California Pizza one night as well.

Can't wait.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:52 am 

Filet's
Hamburger Joe's
Gordon Biersch
Boardwalk Billies
plus one more new place TBD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:51 am 

We are over a month out, but never too early to start thinking about these things!!! LOL!!

Flying Fish or Landry's??
Ultimate California
K&W Cafeteria-This is such a quick and inexpensive meal for a family of four. We love it!!

The rest of the week is usually on the fly as it depends what we are doing. I love hearing where others go as it gives us ideas. Thank you for the posts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:26 pm 

budwash435 wrote:
Boardwalk Billies
plus one more new place TBD

We just discovered Boardwalk Billy's! WOW!!! We love that place! Went twice it was so good and the atmosphere laid back and fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:00 pm 

Emmy, we go to Boardwalk Billy's on Monday nights all winter long to play trivia with our "gang." The food is great and so is the service. Very efficient considering it is always a full house.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 pm 

shoemak38 wrote:

Carolina roadhouse

So our 1st night we took advantage of Landry's happy hour prices as we were tired and were in bed by 9 PM. Sunday night made the mistake of going to Murrell's inlet on our only rain day and went to the dead dog saloon food was good place was packed as people were standing all over the place waiting for tables as they could not wait outside due to the rain. Lesson learned. Don't going on a rain day.

Monday we went to Greg Norman's Australian grill. We got a great table overlooking the intercoastal waterway. Food and service were phenomenal.

Tuesday night original plans had been Landry's. However, since we'd been there Saturday night. We were thinking about going to Walhlburgers burgers or Paula Deen's kitchen. However, both had two-hour waits (more on that in a minute). So we opted to go to liberty brewery & grill. Great selection of beer and good burgers.

Wednesday we took a day off from the beach and drove around to get acquainted with the area. Had lunch at Tupelo honey, great food and drinks (parish my wife really liked one of the model homes in the crestwinds development). Went back to Landry's for drinks and appetizers that night

On Thursday we ate at Paula Deen's kitchen. It's family styled you pay $23 a person, you pick 3 main dishes and 4 sides per table. Enjoyable southern style experience. However you're paying a lot of money for carbs. Just remember if you want beer and wine. Bring your drivers license, no matter how old you are, as all the servers are from the Ukraine. One of my disappointments with the establishment they are using summer help from Europe, which is a common practice up in the Northeast as we have a shorter summer season, and it's an easier way to get the help you need. However, I think it's inappropriate down south in my belief is ii's more profit motivated in Myrtle Beach. Additionally, because of the inexperienced staff table turns was slow. Great for customers unless you still waiting in line, and I believe why they got rid of call ahead seating the day we tried to use it.

What I noticed at both barefoot landing and Broadway on the beach. The newer establishments had all the waiting lines, while the older establishments did not. So my advice is if you go every year Skip the newer establishments this year and save line waiting with crowds. Both Greg Normans & Landry's were at most at two thirds capacity, which made for a very enjoyable meal with great service

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 am 

I plan for our meals almost as much as anything when we travel. I’ve already mapped out places and printed out menus, lol. Things are more difficult for us because we travel with two pups who don’t take kindly to being left in the room so we try to find places that are dog friendly.

We’re heading down in September. We drive from Cincinnati to Columbia to stay the first night. Our meal there is take-out from Lizard Thicket. Down home cookin’ friend chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, you get the idea. Amazing!

The next morning we have an easy drive into town (hopefully!) and usually get there around lunch time. We head to the boardwalk to Oceanfront Bar and Grill for our traditional first meal. It’s not the best meal but the location makes us feel like “we’re here…ahhh” and we just kill time people watching and having a couple beers until it’s time to go check in.

Other musts for us are:

River City for burgers

Toffino’s for breakfast. Love the omlettes! Also, we had a margherita pizza there last year for the first time and it was the best we’ve ever had! We were excitedly looking forward to having one the last day we were there last year, but they’re closed on Mondays. :cry: We were so disappointed so we’re looking forward to that this year!

We usually go to Damon’s for lunch on Wed after our airport run to pick up family. (The pups have to stay home for that one). We go there for the views and to give them the “we’re here…ahhh” feeling. Might change that up this year though.

Mako’s beach bar is located a couple hotels down from us and we usually end up there at least once a day, lol. The food is just basic bar food but they let us have the pups and it’s convenient.

We also go to hannahbanana/k-raes /whateveritisnow. We love the peaceful setting on the water and they let us have the pups.

Oh and the mini mart just down from our resort has the best ice cream which we end up having at least a couple of times for (ahem) breakfast. We’re on vacation, right!

Some other places that I read were dog-friendly on bringfido.com or yelp that we’re thinking of trying:
Noizy Oyster
Crepe Creation Cafe
Graham's Landing
Flos Place Restaurant
The Grumpy Monk
Tupelo Honey Cafe
The Brass Tap
LandShark Bar & Grill
Fiesta Del Burro Loco
8th Ave Tiki
King Street Grille
Hot Tomato

If anyone has an opinion on any of those I’d love to hear it!