Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: driving overnight
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm 

shoemak38 wrote:
:ac41[1]:

Have the kids quit going to the beach with you?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:31 pm 

Once we had two in college, scheduling became more difficult. The kids will do day trips with us. We went to Cancun Mexico last March only 2 of 3 kids could make it due to work scheduling issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:15 pm 

shoemak38 wrote:
Once we had two in college, scheduling became more difficult. The kids will do day trips with us. We went to Cancun Mexico last March only 2 of 3 kids could make it due to work scheduling issues.

I'm getting very close to a couple of mine probably not making the yearly trip. They are just about the same age as your two when you posted this 8 years ago, and when you posted that it was just you and the wife coming down this year it kind of made me start thinking about how many trips that the "whole" family has left.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 pm 

Once they are in college between work schedules and trips with their friends. It's next to impossible to coordinate everybody (have have 3 kids). However, when you inform your kids, you going to the Virgin Islands without them. It's what you mean you're not taking us. :roll: That was 3 years ago, so we had the promise we would take them to Mexico, which we did last year.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:08 pm 

So driving home June 30, which I realized it is the Friday before the Fourth of July long weekend so I have decided after looking at the traffic around DC, last Friday to take the Route 301 to route 50 across the Chesapeake Bay in Annapolis MD. This will our halfway point for the trip home and I noticed in Kent narrows a nice waterside restaurant called Bridges restaurant
bridgesrestaurant.net, it looks like a great place for a late lunch/early dinner the other one that looked tempting depending on crowds was Harris crab house harriscrabhouse.com

A tip for those taking this way if RT 1 looks backed up getting onto 95 in Wilmington. Take route 9 through Newcastle to get onto 295 to cross the Delaware Bridge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:07 pm 

So I drive down Friday night June 23 went great. Our only traffic issues were in Massachusetts. We left at 4 PM and made exit 7 on the New Jersey Turnpike (switch to the 295 to save $3.50 and Turnpike tolls) at 10:30 PM. We were in Conway by 7:30 AM Saturday, having breakfast, and were on the beach at 10 AM.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm 

Left around 4, arrived around 7, on beach by 10!

That is the travel schedule I gave two weeks ago to the youngsters working for me. They were planning on a weekend of "beaching" in your commonwealth. The only way I knew how to get them back on time was to "bet" they could not beat some of the time records MB'ers have. All fell for it! Back at work before 7am on Monday and actually working. Amazing what beach energy can do for you!

I am happy to hear so far, every one has had safe travels & I wish safe travels and happy times to all who are yet to tackle the drive.