Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: driving overnight
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:27 pm 

With two teen drivers we plan to drive overnight July 2nd. How is DC area night before big July 4th getaway :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:32 pm 

one word insane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:28 pm 

I can agree on the insane, but it will also matter what time of day you hit the area. 3am vs. 3pm can be a huge huge (did I say huge) difference. I highly suggest you find a way around the area even if it adds a little bit of time to your trip. You may save yourself several hours for one additional hour. I have taken this route through DC once on my way down to NC and it was not pretty in the afternoon. If you look around the Driving Directions forums, you will most likely find some posts of alt. route around DC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 am 

As said above, time will be the Huge (x3, maybe more) factor... What time are you leaving NH and expect to arrive at DC ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:18 am 

I would be driving around 1 to 2 am. leaving after work Wednesday night around 5pm.
Not liking the PA route due to deer at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am 

how would 522 to winchester and 17 to fredricksburg work for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:19 am 

Checkout the Driving from PA topic....

There used to be a discussion about a route through Harrisburg... That's comes in to I95 in Fredricksburg.... Totally avoid Philadelphia, Wilmington, Balt, and DC... No to mention the traffic south of DC near Dumfries...We've taken this route from NW NJ and it is a very pleasant ride...

I'll try to find the exact posts....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 am 

If you are hitting the DC area at 1am, 95 should be fine. As you approach DC, listen to 1500AM as they have frequent travel reports. If you hear any 95 issues in Northern VA, you can take Rte 50 East at Landover, MD for about 10 miles to Rte 301 South.

Follow 301 South for ~100 miles, and will drop you back on 95 South about 20 miles North of Richmond. This route is technically shorter than 95, but due to the many traffic lights is about 20-30 minutes longer.

Good Luck !

Post subject: Re: driving overnight
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 pm 

So, 8 years later, I'll recap how our drive was our then new 16-year-old daughter enjoyed driving through DC at midnight and my then 19-year-old son announce just before arriving in South Carolina at 5 AM that he was falling asleep and dad had to take over driving again. Traffic was still heavy the whole I-95 corridor. However, not as bad as daylight hours. We got it to Myrtle Beach around 8 o'clock went for breakfast, and arrived at the hotel about 9:30 changed into our swimsuits and slept on the beach into the room was ready around 2 PM

So my wife and I alone will be doing the same trip ended June this year, leaving at 5 PM on Friday. From experience, I've learned to have my wife drive 1st through New England until we get off at exit 7 on the New Jersey Turnpike to switch over to 295. Then I will take over until I have to take a nap somewhere. Hopefully, that's until after I crossed the border in North Carolina.
So instead of taking 501 from I-95. I'm thinking of getting off in North Carolina to route 74 to 701 to Rt 9. Noticed most of the way this is all four-lane highway :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 am 

Nice. I actually avoid going near DC at all costs. I take 81/83/15/29/17/95 and get off at Lumberton 74/701/9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm 

Coming home I like getting off of I-95 on the other side of Fredericksburg and getting Rt 17 to I- 64 to I-81 to I-84. It 60 miles longer to New England. My wife hates this way because of all the rolling hills in Pennsylvania. You near Fort Indiantown gap brings back memories of my old Army reserve days

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm 

A friend who commuted frequently between NJ and Myrtle Beach would get off 95 in Delaware at DE-1 and follow South to Rte 13. Follow Rte 13 down into Virginia (country road) to Rte 58, then follow 58 over to Ashland, VA where it hooks up with I-95.

I've never taken this route (yet), but certainly avoids a lot of the 95 trouble-spots and is a relaxing drive (per my friend)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:45 pm 

Went home that had once coming back from Bush gardens in Virginia. It's a great drive through Delaware. However, once you get into the DC area it is a lot of traffic lights after that, it's a great drive again. That way's plan C on this trip home.( I.e. if I can't talk my wife into going through Pennsylvania). That way is also great if you want to hit up some great farm stands in Delaware

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 am 

shoemak38 wrote:
So, 8 years later, l:

That has to be a record for a time lapse for a :hello: driving report/mini trip report. I find it interesting when these older posts get brought back up. Funny even after 8 years you can still remember details about a trip. That's why I always say the trip down is part of the fun and vacations are some of the best memories you get.

We don't drive through DC , but we do deal with Atlanta some and either try to go through at odd hours (after midnight) or if we can't avoid that we just go down the coast when heading to Florida.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm 

:ac41[1]: