Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:10 pm 

This was a good, but sad trip for my family. My mom went into assisted living a few months ago and her home/family beach home of 25 years was going up for sale. Six of us spent a large portion of the week cleaning out the house and getting it ready for sale. We did manage some pool and beach time, as well as time with mom. Another family member has a house in Grande Dunes, so there is still a beach house (although much smaller than my mom's, so there will have to be rentals in our near future).

The weather turned out to be fabulous, but very hot. Closer to the beach it was fine, but not too many people were eating outside most nights.

We did many of our favorite restaurants - Wicked Tuna (any of their sushi and fish specials are really good), Lombardo's, Fire and Smoke and Liberty Tap Room (great happy hour). All of them were great as usual. If you go to Lombardo's the entrees are big enough for two. We also had a special appetizer of fried green tomatoes with goat cheese and raspberry balsamic that was amazing! We all hate the "tourist" buffets and all you can eat places, and would rather eat at home a few nights and enjoy quality food when we go out.

We spent quite a few afternoons at the pool and beach at Grande Dunes. It is really a nice setup there. There is no outside food or drinks allowed at the pool, but we hit the beach first, ate lunch, and then headed up to the pool in late afternoon.

I hadn't been to Broadway since March and a lot of new stores have gone in. We also drove through several subdivisions as two of us are looking to buy properties in the next few years. I like the Murrells Inlet/Pawley's Island area (a lot less traffic and congestion). We also look at the Market Commons subdivisions.

The new parking regulations went into effect while we were there. No more free parking on most parts of the beach and no parking at all on most residential streets without a permit. This is really going to limit access to some areas of the beach.

Of course the girls had to get in a little bit of shopping, so we went to the Highway 17 Outlets and Belks. Found some pretty good deals and we had a full car on the way back.

We are down every few months, so our next trip will be late September - after the crowds die down. We have been here over the past 25 years every month of the year and really enjoy all of the seasons. Can't wait until it's our permanent place in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Sher, thanks so much for this great trip review! I loved reading it!

Hope you mom is doing well in assisted living. Is she here in Myrtle Beach?

Grande Dunes is such a beautiful location! I'm sure you enjoyed your time there.

You picked some good restaurants.

We live near the Market Common and absolutely love it. It has become a city within a city and I love knowing we are within a shot golf caret ride to so many restaurants, shops and activities.

Thanks again!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:22 pm 

Thanks for the trip report...I love reading them...it makes me more excited for our trip in August! I hope we have good weather in August...it is normally great with a few rainy days(shopping days) thrown in...I hope all goes well with your Mom in assisted living...and I hope the beach house hunting goes well! :sunny:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:33 am 

Thanks for the report ! Sorry to hear about your Mom having to move, that is very stressful but hopefully you all can come visit frequently.

Quote:
There is no outside food or drinks allowed at the pool

This kills me.... most of the places we have stayed have this policy, but fortunately enforcement is usually limited. Not sure what it is like at the Grande. Resorts all charge "resort fees" to maintain the pools, yet I must buy their overpriced food/drinks ? But... Jan and I are pretty good at sneaking around these rules. The maintenance team tasked with enforcing usually have other priorities, but if there is a waitstaff poolside perhaps they are more diligent.

Quote:
No more free parking on most parts of the beach and no parking at all on most residential streets without a permit

Another one that chaps my..... While we stay oceanfront, I can't imagine how this impacts families who vacation on a budget who are staying off-ocean. Another rule to hurt those who need a break.

Sorry for the negativity... rant over :BandHead:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:11 pm 

Hope your mom is doing well :icon_smile: Thanks for the report...sounds like you had fun!

Sher1234 wrote:

The new parking regulations went into effect while we were there. No more free parking on most parts of the beach and no parking at all on most residential streets without a permit. This is really going to limit access to some areas of the beach.

Another reason I love NMB/Cherry Grove...free public access parking everywhere!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:52 pm 

Sher1234 wrote:

Another reason I love NMB/Cherry Grove...free public access parking everywhere![/quote]

I didn't know that. Parking costs can add up if you don't stay on ocean. We found a lot in Surfside just behind the 2nd row condos that is 50 cents / hour. Park in the lot where the beach access is and pay 1.75/hour. Its worth the short walk across the street to save $6 a day. That's $35 beer money for the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:53 am 

My mom is doing well in assisted living. She is at Lakes of Litchfield. It is a beautiful facility, but very expensive.

I really do love the Grande Dunes resort. Besides owners, if you stay at the Marina Inn (across Highway 17 near the Pirates Voyage) you can also use the pools and beach chairs. I think Marriott Timeshares next door may also have some access, but not sure.

The parking situation is now not great. This has cut parking in these residential areas by probably 80 percent. I know on 79th Street, the Saturday after it went in effect, the beach pretty empty. There are four metered spaces on the street. You have go about 6 blocks to find a group of meters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I understand what you re saying about parking. Myrtle Beach has grown, both in home ownership and tourism. I personally know people who live or have lived in the the Carolina Forest area (and other areas not within the city limits) who always parked along those areas in he north end of the city without meters.

The things is, they don't live in the city of Myrtle Beach, and it's the city who regulates city parking. We live in the city. We pay city taxes (which cost more than when we lived near Surfside) and because we do, we have parking decals for our cars and golf cart allowing us to park in any metered space and the Pavilion garage.

So let's think this through. The beach-going people who used to park in the residential areas are having to find another beach. And I can take a good guess on where that will be...Myrtle Beach State Park or North Myrtle Beach.

If the parking rules are not changed by the city (you never know about the city) ) over time, these other beaches will also become overcrowded. I can see that happening at the State Park already as more and more people move into the Market Common area. All these new houses bring in so many new residents, and the closest outlet to the beach is the State Park.

I don't know the answer, but I'll bet the resorts in the newly-metered areas are trying to find more places for their guests to park.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall