Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Virginia flooding
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:40 pm 

I hope all our West Virginia members are safe from the terrible flooding that has been occurring...Prayers for all...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:24 pm 

It is crazy down there! We passed through WVa on the way back home from Myrtle Beach last Friday - we passed the National Guard on the move north on I-77 and wondered what was going on. We didn't see the news before we left for home - we saw exits closed because they were completely underwater, never saw anything like it. Ravenswood was the worst we saw - then we read about the 4 year old that was lost. Horrible and scary how quickly it happened. Sending good thoughts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:26 pm 

We were spared the flooding up here in the northern part of the state, but our daughter's church camp did not. They were evacuated on Thursday evening and a local church sheltered all 350 of them. We knew nothing about it until we were told on Friday that the rest of camp had been cancelled, that we needed to come and get them, and that the Office of Emergency Management had a route that was mostly clear.

Nothing major to report other than seeing a little of the damage on the way to pick her up. The local townfolk were wonderful and brought food and supplies to the campers at the church. Their camp area was about 20 miles north of Richwood (an area that was devasted by the flood). I posted a few pictures on facebook from Webster Springs, but most of the major damage was done in more rural areas.

Donation sites have been set up all over the state, and I'm proud to say that our Mountaineer Football team packed truck after truck with water and supplies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:05 pm 

Wow...glad your daughter and the other campers were evacuated and well cared for. Kudos to the mountaineer football team for helping out...Many of our local volunteer fire departments are collecting water, non-perishable foods, and cleaning supplies and trucking them to the devastated areas...still praying all affected... :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am 

The Marshall University Thundering Herd football team (as well as other MU organizations) have been extremely busy and helpful in providing much needed help and services as well. The whole state has been pulling together to help in any way possible. The devastation is overwhelming, but slowly but surely things will get back to somewhat normal. A "new" normal in many cases. So sad to see all the pictures and hear the stories. :cry:
We left for Myrtle Beach last Thursday morning, after getting a really bad storm here (Beckley, no damage here). Six hours later we starting seeing pictures and Facebook posts about the flooding. Unbelievable what happened in such a short amount of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:42 pm 

Prayers for all of those involved! We have some close friends that are like family to us that is from the Clendenin area of WV. Some of their family members have lost everything. It is truly an honor seeing so many people come together during this time of need though.

Hey beachlady3! I see you ventured this way from the "other" MB forum.