Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 am 

Geez.... at least the beer was cold :roll:

That is horrible.... Hopefully some of the folks sent the ribs back or at least informed the server. Ribs should be fall-of-the-bone tender & moist at their prices.

Glad you got at least one day with your extended family, sounds like a blast !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:48 pm 

KirkG wrote:
Geez.... at least the beer was cold :roll:

That is horrible.... Hopefully some of the folks sent the ribs back or at least informed the server. Ribs should be fall-of-the-bone tender & moist at their prices.

Glad you got at least one day with your extended family, sounds like a blast !

They didn't send it back, I just an off night I hope. That was a bad experience but nothing like what we had last year at their sister restaurant California Dreaming where they ran out of ribs, didn't bring my beer, and no baked potatoes after seating us one hour after call ahead.

Tonight is BOGO 1/2 off at driftwood. It has been our most consisten meal the last couple of years and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I'm so sorry about your experience. For sure, I would search or call to get the manager's name and send a letter of complaint. It's particularly disappointing when it's a large group like yours, and you plan ahead for your "special" nights out. I know you do a lot of advanced research, and this sort of thing puts a damper on you dining experiences.

Don't forget that King Street Grill has 1/2 price salads on Tues. and 1/2 price burgers (8 oz) on Wed. Right now, we think it's about the best deal going on. Info. is here:
https://thekingstreetgrille.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 am 

Monday and Tuesday were beach mornings . The rain held off yesterday until after we left the beach so that was a plus. Our routine is usually beach and then back to clean up for an early dinner.

Monday has turned into our favorite meal of the week. Driftwood has BOGO 1/2 off and the portions are huge. It's a cheap option to get pretty good seafood at a reasonable price. Even without the half off their captains platters run about $7 cheaper than places in the inlet. That's a substantial savings when you times that by five. The meal was good once again and we will probably return for the daily early bird one day this week. After the meal we ran over to Tanger 501 for a couple of hours.

Tuesday we went to Maggie D's for dinner. We used the call ahead seating. The early bird special is 10.95 and has some good options. The wife and I had chicken parmigiana which was great. The meal comes with a salad or French onion soup. We chose the soup and it was really good. Portions are huge and the owner is always present and makes sure the experience is great. We tried to take the little one to watch finding Dory across the street at coastal grand but it was sold out. Ended up just walking into a few stores before going to Old Fashioned Ice Cream in Surfside for BOGO scoop free.

It's cloudy today with a chance of rain. Hopefully the sun makes an appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

We like Maggy D's. Hard to beat for the price/food quality. Good choice!

Hope you're having a good time in spite of the off-again on-again showers!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 am 

Love following along... Thank you so much for taking the time to share your vacation with us! Driftwood's sounds great...we've never been!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:11 am 

patrish wrote:
We like Maggy D's. Hard to beat for the price/food quality. Good choice!

Hope you're having a good time in spite of the off-again on-again showers!

Hopefully the rain holds off. One good thing is that the rain has stayed away until at least two or three o'clock. Not a total washout for beach days .

We ate at Prosser's last night. The boy insisted on eating there just for the Mac and cheese. I really like Prosser's , but it irks me that it always seems as though they up the price by a dollar on almost a yearly basis. When we started going it was around $11 and that included sweet tea. It's now up to $14.95 without a drink. Still cheaper than most options though. I like their clams, shrimp, fried oysters, and fish the most , but I have to say that unlike most buffets I've never really tasted anything there that wasn't good. They also have a nice selection of southern comfort food. The dumplings were pretty good too. It's still a really solid choice for a buffet and you can go between 4-5 for $2 off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Another good deal!

Hope you are enjoying your vacation and getting some good beach time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:00 pm 

We are obviously back home now. Those beach trips just don't slow down for anyone.

I think the last time I reported was Wednesday of our beach week. Thursday was another usual beach day and then an early dinner. Weather was nice once again for at least the beach hours. The evening rains or threat of rains were frequent during our week so whether or not a shower hit that particular day I can't remember. After the beach we just ran across the street from the Planation Resort and ate at the BBQ house. Good dependable food at a decent price for vacation meal.

After eating we decided to take the little one to watch Finding Dory at Coastal Grand. We had tried to go on Tuesday when we were just across the street at Maggie D's but it was sold out. We purchased tickets for this one online, and didn't take a chance on not getting in. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked into the theatre to find the seats to be nice leather recliners. I don't know if every theatre at Coastal Grand has this type seating, but the family thoroughly enjoyed kicking back and watching a movie as though it was in a living room recliner. It was a really good movie too.

After the movie we stopped at our favorite ice cream place Old Fashioned Ice Cream for their 1/2 price banana splits. I couldn't leave MB without a banana split from here. Great treat for a great value.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Vacations never last long enough! Thanks for the trip review. I loved reading it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:50 am 

Last day at the beach. I always dread seeing Friday at the beach. After a year of anticipation you know it's coming to an end. It was overcast on this day, so at least we didn't have to put the tent up. No beer for today since I had to drive home later. Not that I would drink enough to be intoxicated , just didn't want to let it make me drowsy for the drive in.

After a thorough cleaning of all the beach supplies we headed back to the condo to pack our stuff. It's not that big of a job considering that we have now pretty much started living out of the suitcases for our trips. As I said earlier, these things just don't last long enough, so we don't bother to put things in the drawers like we used to.

While the wife got everything ready to leave the little one and I took the car over to the car wash on 544 to dispose of a weeks worth of sand. You can pay $6 for a basic wash and get unlimited vacuum. They even supply glass cleaner and some type of armour all knockoff. It's a good deal considering that you would probably spend that much on vacuuming alone at one of those spray off places.

After cleaning the car I went back to the condo and packed the cargo carrier on top of the SUV. The wife wanted to take a few beach pics, but like last year the wind was just too strong to get any good shots. It was a lesson learned. Beach pics have to take priority and you have to start mapping out the day to do it at the start of the trip. I don't care if you have to do them on day 1, if the wind is not bad you better go that day. The wife was almost in tears because pics where pretty much a waste two years in a row because of heavy winds.

After the failed pics we ran through a drive-thru before going back to pack the rest of the stuff. Ended up pulling out just a tad after 9:30 p.m. and getting home at 4:45 a.m. I hate leaving out early on Friday, but it does make for an easier drive and the kids prefer to sleep on the way in. I guess the countdown to MB 2017 can start now. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:52 am 

Thanks again for the report !!!! Awesome stuff.... and let the 2017 planning begin !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:02 pm 

The last days always seem to be dreary, its odd.

I too, would also hate to leave a night early, waste of money, plus I can't drive through the night anymore like I used to. Two years ago we left PA around 4:30pm and drove through the night straight to MB and got there around 3:30, it was the worst drive of my life. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you. Loved following you aroud!

If the car wash on 544 is the one next to SouthWood (houses) we have been going there since it opened. I usually get the basic car wash, then you can take whatever time it needs get the inside all spiffed up for no additional charge.

Start thinking 2017! :wav:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:51 pm 

I have to say I don't know how you drive all night. I agree with the pictures. I have had too many occasions when I let it go then it didn't happen. Get them out of the way then you don't have to worry. Thanks for taking the time to write a report. I always enjoy following along. Let the 2017 trip planning begin.

Last edited by Christine on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.