Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm 

Managed to get in 4 games on this visit using the MB's Senior Centre's golf book. The Wizard is always a nice course to play, testing but fair, the ball at Myrtle just doesn't seem to go as far as when I hit it in the UK, so several par 4's need 3 shots (or more!) to get to the greeen. The Pearl I really enjoyed, played on the West Course and the comment was the East Course is just as nice, if you get the opportunity play this one. I also liked Beachwood, right up near Martins and Golf Dimensions so if things don't go according to plan you can pop in afterwards and find a new club for the next game! My final game was at Quail Creek, again a nice course but conditions not quite as good as at the Pearl and the Wizard. It did seem to me that courses are no longer using marshalls, which means that it is taking longer to get round, a couple of the games took getting on for 5 hours, this seems a long time when we tend to walk the courses in the UK and 4 hours is considered a long round, to take 5 using a buggy seemed very slow. Even so the golf was good value and I am looking forward to a future visit to play a few more rounds.
Peter (Happy Hacker)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Peter! Glad to see you posting again!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm 

Peter,

Always great to see a golf posting! I generally us 1 extra club when playing in MB... Balls don't go as far at sea level....

Glad to see you had a good trip! Can't wait till October!

- jeff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 am 

5 hrs with a buggy/cart is a long time, but unfortunately average during the MB high-season.... Just played a few rounds with family and when we teed off early, our round was under 4 hrs (considering we are hackers...). Other rounds were mid-day and very slow due to folks ahead of us (per the marshals).

The marshals said this behavior is typical... large groups play the nice courses and pretend they are participating in the US Open. While marshals try to speed them up, it's not a lasting effect....

Me ? I try to minimize the misery and play "ready golf" :???:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:41 pm 

Found a reasonable offer to play Beachwood on their website, looking at this site I noticed it was about 5 years since I last played here. Don't try and find the bag-drop, park in the car-park and a buggy comes to pick up your clubs.

Played with a nice couple from Charlotte, enjoyable course from the white tees, course in good condition, bit of water about but I managed to avoid all of it.

Would play here again.
Peter (Happy Hacker)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:23 pm 

Reading your post from a few years ago about the lack of Marshalls. I too have noticed that and that is disappointing. We played Indigo Creek a couple of years ago and the round was close to six hours and the club didn't seem to care.

It won't do us older golfers any good, but a good thing is that a lot of the better junior tours are really pushing pace of play. They want the kids to walk 18 hole tournament play in around four hours and if they fall behind warnings and penalties are assessed. Maybe the next generation will play a better pace of golf, but that doesn't do us any good now with the current generation playing the wrong tee boxes and getting in no hurry to get around. Outside of people not having the money to play, slow play is declining the prosperity of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:28 pm 

MBKY wrote:
Outside of people not having the money to play, slow play is declining the prosperity of the game.

Amen. I have yet to hit one golf ball this year because I simply don't feel like I can spare 5 or more hours.