Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:34 am 

Friday:
Well. Make that Thursday. Didn't get the call. Had to work. 11 hours. Couldnt even talk my way into a short day. Knowing I had a lot to do at home I hit vending machine at last stop around 5:00 bought an energy drink. Home little before 7 to cut grass and weed eat.
Stopped for quick meal of "clean out fridge" leftovers. Decided dogs would wake me up in plenty of time to pack and do other things before leaving. Called it a night. I thought. Dang energy drinks work. After midnight before dropping off to sleep.

4:00 am. I was awake thinking about what still had to be gathered, packed and loaded. I was up before the dogs. Unbelievable.
Wasn't that big of a deal. Like the people on TV and movies. We pretty much have go bags for beach trips. Chairs, lap top, cooler, etc right where we left them in Sept. Clothes? Pack light.

Dropped dogs off at 8:00 and with four hours sleep, hit the big road at 8:30. Normal easy pace the drive takes eight hours. Dinner with Jan and Mike planned so needed to push harder than normal. How'd that go? Not tooooo good.
No. No ticket. So drowsy from lack of rest I had trouble keeping up a good pace. Depressing. Back in the day I could run 24 hours and after two hour nap go another 24 hours. Now. I need 24 hour nap to go two hours. Trip took........eight hours.

Arrived Maritime Beach Resort 4:30. Check in was a breeze. 8th floor studio for the night then move to one bedroom booked for the week. Not bad for a studio. Could have stayed there for a week if needed. Same price per night as one bedroom. Not sure how/why that is but not my problem.
Texted Jan. Quick walk on beach then met them next door at Coconuts Tiki Bar.

Nice to catch up with them. They had burgers. Ruann a Turkey Club and I had fish sandwich. I enjoyed mine and no complaints from others. Little pricey but location and convenience made up for that. By the time we finished the place was starting to fill up.
Standing in parking lot finishing our little "meet-up". Large dog with head sticking out of car. Car started to pull out. Driver stops and starts talking. Well.....He trying to talk. Nobody could really tell what he was saying. One thing we understood was he wished the dog's legs were longer so he could drive. Dog was in much better shape than driver.....For the dogs sake I hope the guy made it home.

Tired. Spent what was left of the evening standing on balcony(shelf) and watching TV.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 am 

Enjoying the report. The sleep schedule the night before never seems to work out. I took some kind of prescription sleep med one year thinking I could get some rest and drive all night and ended up with three hours sleep on an 8 hour pill. Ended up in the passenger seat three hours in. The wife doesn't like interstate driving and just about killed me. I did get her through the mountains of Asheville though.

Anyway, have a great trip.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:46 pm 

I had to laugh about no sleep and driving. We decided a few trips ago that we would take off around 11:00 P.M. and drive home. Never again. We are not as young as we used to be :lol: So glad to see your trip report. They are few and far between these days so keep it coming. Thanks in advance. :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:37 pm 

Deanna wrote:
I had to laugh about no sleep and driving. We decided a few trips ago that we would take off around 11:00 P.M. and drive home. Never again. We are not as young as we used to be :lol: So glad to see your trip report. They are few and far between these days so keep it coming. Thanks in advance. :nanner:

We always return home with an overnight drive and usually leave around 11. We used to leave for the beach at midnight but it was just to much sitting waiting on check-in. We now leave around 4 a.m. I don't mind pulling an all nighter on the way home because we at least have a bed waiting on us.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:37 pm 

Saturday:
Up for the sunrise. Cloudy. Wasn't anything to see. Took my solo walk down the beach. No shells or shark teeth. Raining on and off. Down to Mar Vista and back.
By the time I got back she was up and ready for breakfast. Rain had stopped so we walked to Golden Griddle. Miscalculated the distance. Figured the four to five blocks out Main. Forgot we were four blocks up Ocean Blvd. More shops along Main than I realized.
Several small gift shops and clothing shops. Boulineau's has a shop there now.
Realtor has dozen or more pics of places for sale posted in window. We stopped to daydream. Been watching Beachfront Bargain Hunters on TV. If I'm ever able to buy a beach house it will probably be in Ecuador with a donkey for a golf cart.

Breakfast was good. I had omelette. She had eggs and bacon. Still say there's something about their hash browns. Seasoning or the griddle is well seasoned.

More window shopping walking back. Call from Maritime. Unit was ready. By 10:00 we had everything moved from studio to one bedroom. By 11:00 we were on the beach.
Walk up to Sea Mountain. One shell.
Read and napped til after 2:00 before heading in. We still needed to go to store.

Hit Basil's Pizza for late lunch/early dinner. Me stromboli. She had ham and cheese. Good as usual.
Borrowed pen from waiter who is family/owner to do shopping list. Got into discussion about the local businesses. Hope he's just blowing smoke but he said many of their days are numbered. A lot of the property along Sea Mountain could be sold off and chain stores could be moving in like Arby's and Burger King. I hope not.

Gal walked up and started conversation with us. She was from WV and works down here for.......Wyndham.
My first thought was she saw us as possible sales target but after talking with her she seems to be the first honest employee I've ever met. She admits the "deal" doesn't work for everybody.

Boulineau's for groceries. They've expanded. Laundry mat on back side of building is gone. Wall taken out and produce section enlarged.

Back to Maritime. Didn't feel like going out so sat by pool area with cooler and book. Beach wedding across dune from Coconut's. Seen one seen em all. Patrish needs to research and find out who the local Kardashian was that got married.
Guy at our building was up on balcony. Not your everyday camera lens. All but hanging off railing filming the entire wedding and reception.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:42 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Got into discussion about the local businesses. Hope he's just blowing smoke but he said many of their days are numbered. A lot of the property along Sea Mountain could be sold off and chain stores could be moving in like Arby's and Burger King. I hope not.

I really hope this is NOT true...that would be beyond awful :sad:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:07 am 

Quote:
I really hope this is NOT true...that would be beyond awful

+100.... one of the aspects of MB we love the most is the diversity in food-choices (we love to eat :nanner: ). This homogenization of our choices is depressing..... We live in a touristy area here in Maryland and seems every time a locally-owned place shuts down, it's replaced with the typical chain.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 am 

Sunday:
Getting into the boring part of week. We're settled in and doing as little as possible.
Up this morning. Pretty chilly. My early morning walk wasn't as appealing as other days. Waited for her to wake up. Walked down the beach wearing sweatshirts. Still no shells to be found.

Set up camp around 11:00. Still not great weather. Shirt stayed on. Probably good thing. Not burnt but enough pink skin in spots already. No sense in pushing it.
Afternoon the sun finally came out. Able to turn chair and sit on cooler enough to hit spots not already pink.
Great reading weather.(In between naps.) Book is one I started on Sept trip. Didn't finish it then. Guys at work joked at my age I could read it again and not remember what I'd read before. Scary.....They were right.

Public parking at both ends of building. Not that beach is crowded. More than usual for this time of year. Shouldn't be as bad during week. It's embarrassing waking myself up snoring knowing strangers are 20 feet away.

As soon as we returned from store the night before we realized stuff we had forgot. Before lunch we had to run back up to store for bread and a quick run through The Barnacle for swim trunks. Yeah. Packing in a hurry does have it's negatives.......

Couple more hours on beach. Ate in. As sun went down the temps cooled. We decided to just stay in.

Monday:
Repeat of Sunday. Chilly morning. Cloudy all day. Sun felt great the times it peaked through clouds. Most of the time I was considering putting shirt back on. Brrrrrrr....

Dinner at Duffy's. Great as it is every time. Felt odd. Back in the real world I'm still working at dinner time.

Ran up to Callahan's. Fun to walk through the place but left without any purchase.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry the weather is not warmer for you. At least we have sun! I'm sort of ewnjoying the cooler days.

Checked around for BIG WEDDING Friday but did not find anything on it. Glad you are having a goof time.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:15 am 

Quote:
Glad you are having a goof time.

Probably a typo.... but pretty darn brilliant ! :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:49 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Chilly morning. Cloudy all day.

Looks like the weather is changing in your favor! Supposed to be warm and beautiful today. I think I may have to peek in via the boardwalk webcam and pretend I'm there too.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:28 am 

Tuesday:
More boredom.
Warmer temps.
High tide this morning. Took our time going out. By the time we fixed breakfast it was out enough for a walk.
Stopped at activity desk to see about show tickets. Now she's changed her mind.
"We've been to shows before".
She's not sure if she wants to do another one. Darn..
Was hoping to do another kayak tour but if she's playing that card for something she wanted to do.......
I'm outta luck......

Walked down the beach. Really a slow stroll. Looking for shark teeth. So far. One.
There's been trips they just lay there waving "Here I am. Here I am!!!!".
Nothing this trip. Either they have great dental plan or I need to check my vision plan.......

Friend of ours moved to Conway few months ago. Been messaging with her to spend some time with us on the beach. My hearing is as bad as eyesight. Expected her to call and see when we were on beach. Back at condo. Missed messages on phone. She was on the beach waiting on us.

Set chairs up at 11:00. Spent most of the day visiting with her. She left around 3:00. We stayed out napping and reading. Temps warm. Breeze mild to hard. Just enough to keep you cool and no idea how much sun you're getting.
5:00....After 6 hours we decided to call it a day. Hope it wasn't too long. Remember. We don't do umbrellas.

Hit the hot tub for half hour going back in. Nothing better after six hour roast than a half hour simmer at low heat. Oh wait.....We're not cookin' ribs.....

Ate in.
Drove up to Sea Mountain for ice cream at Ice Cream Hut. Usually don't do cones but seeing Klondike Bar commercials I had craving for chocolate dipped ice cream.
Big mistake.
Looked like a five year old trying to eat a cone in July heat.
Wasn't all my fault. Miniature cone with about eight inch mound of ice cream on it. As it melted. Couldn't slurp the sides because some idiot ordered it dipped in chocolate...
Mom had to go get the kid a handful of napkins.....

Quick stop at you know where for snacks. Drive down around Main Street to check out a little variety store we saw on breakfast walk the other day.
She saw a wood wind chime that looks like a bird.. Haven't seen one at Callahan's or Boulineua's. Store was closed.

In the past the black bikers didn't roll into town until later in week for Memorial Day bash. Past few years they've getting here earlier and earlier. They're already here. So far behavior nothing to get upset about.
Could fuss about the noise but the two days of Harleys when we got here was just as bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

A couple photos from tonight.

We met Alan and Ruann at the Surfside Pier River City Cafe. The weather was perfect and the hamburgers were good. Best of all was catching up with old friends. They stopped by the house before returning to North Myrtle Beach. What a great evening out with friends! We even called Emmy on Facetime which we all enjoyed!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:30 am 

patrish wrote:
We even called Emmy on Facetime which we all enjoyed!

You all made my night :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 am 

Wednesday:
More of the same. Just not as much.
Hide tide again delayed hitting beach. Maybe by an hour. Not a big deal. The big deal is she got too much sun on Tuesday and stayed in. This ladies and gentlemen is a first.
She has Indian blood. Just the mention of sun and she tans. Guess all these years with Whitey has rubbed off. I'm a bad influence. Yesterday for probably the first time...... She fell asleep on the sheet........
She stayed in today.

Being on the beach alone isn't as much fun......Waking up with a "SNOOOORT!!!!" isn't the same when you cant turn head and ask "How loud was that one?".
So whenever my book or beer started to slip from hand or my head bobbed I would force myself up and walk. Did find three shark teeth so I'm feeling better about eye sight.
Headed out early to meet Patrish and Wally. Spur of minute decision to hit Soccer Locker for grandkids.

Saw something on drive south will need to investigate. Hitting RT 31 at Robert Edge. Looked over at lake. First I saw red balls floating in water like a slalom course for skis. Next I saw several structures in the water. Looked like old concrete foundations from an old building. Not positive but It looked like a skate park.......For jet skis....... Yes....I have a witness...She saw it too.

Spent more in 15 minutes at Soccer Locker than we've spent on ourselves all week.

Patrish and Wally arrived before we did and had table. Sorry to say they picked wrong side. Sun was low in the west and Patrish was looking right into it. Spent most of the meal with hand over eyes. Half dozen ball caps in truck. If I'd thought sooner I could have loaned her one.

They invited us over to their house to visit. Man that area has grown. Guess it's been two years since last drive through Market Common. Whole new development of tall townhouses has gone up. Expected to see their house sitting by itself like pictures I've seen. They now have neighbors on each side.
Wally described how they build them so fast. Unbelievable.

Enjoyed the visit. Talked with Emmy....Face time is simply amazing. Turned phone upside down and Emmy's hair didn't move........Funny part was trying to turn it off. Picture was off and phone laid down.....They were still connected.....You could here both ends of conversation as they were trying to disconnect not knowing the other party could hear it.

Now. I'm going to bring up ol' Tommy Smothers. You know....His "she liked you best" routine.
Well.....
Patrish likes Emmy best......
I didn't get to drive golf cart.
Didn't sit in it.
Didn't touch it.
Didn't see it.......
She likes Emmy best.....