Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 13-15th, 2016
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 pm 

We just returned today from a last week decision for a quick weekend get a way. In the past, we would visit MB in the spring for 3ish night, during July for our summer vacation, andend the year with possibly a 3ish night get a way. The last few years, we have cut back to one trip to MB per year, because we fell in love with cruising. So we gave up the two smaller MB trips for a May cruise. This year, we have a lot of stessful stuff going on that needs our attention, so we had to forgo the cruise. About a week ago, we decided we needed to get away for a few days and thought Sand and Sun would be the best medication to de-stress.

We came down Friday the 13th. We were in no hurry getting down and stopped at some places that we never would have. We got Conway about 3ish about the time that the monsoon hit. We took 544 in to MB because we wanted to head to Pure Palmettp in GC. Once we fnally got through te monsoon and arrived, we were really disappionted. We went to look at the Collegiate items, but they had very little. They had a lot during our trip last November. I asked the lady at the counter about it, and she jut shrugged her shoulders. So I think they may have changed owner ship possibly.

We got to the hotel at Bay View Resort about 4:30. Checked in and unloaded our thngs in the room. This was our first time staying on the 'Boardwalk', so we went for a stroll. We headed north first and torwards Sharkey's hoping that the music that we heard was live music, but it was not. So we headed back south to the 2nd Ave pier and took walked down it. By this time, it was 7 and we were starving. We went back to the room and prepared dinner (this was a first time ever preparing dinner in a hotel room). After dinner, we had a few beverages on the balcony and played some cards in front of the balcony, and called it a night.

Saturday, we woke up and headed for breakfast at one of the 100's pancake houses on HWY 17. I didn't catch the name, but the food was delicious. After breakfast, we headed south the Hudson's flea market. They have the same stuff they have had for the last 20 years, but it is a tradition and we have to walk through every vacation. After Hudson's, we made a stop at Tomlinson's. We discovered this place last year, and are glad that we did! The next stop was the new 'Beach Life' souvenir store. This is where I found 'Myrtle Beach-Opoly'. So I had to buy it. We headed back to the hotel after this and spent about an our on the beach and in the ocean. We headed back to the room for showers and headed out about 4 for to go play some putt putt before dinner. We played at Pirate Watch, which has been one of our favorites. Our next stop was Crabby Mike's for some dinner (a must stop every trip also). It was 7:30 before we arrived back at the room. Normally, we stay farther south in MB, so we took advantage of being closer to the "action". We headed to the 2nd floor deck at Bay View to people watch and see the beautiful Harley motorcycles! We saw some interesting people while watching! A couple of hours later, we headed back up the the room to for showers and to start packing and called it a night.

This morning was a disapptionting day. We knew that relaxation was coming to an end and that reality was about to slap us in the face. We left the hotel about 8am, stopped at Bojangles for breakfast on 544, and arrived back home at 11:30.

Yes, this trip was very short. Normally, We try to stay at least three nights, but we just had to get a way as we have a lot going on right now. This is was just what we needed. I'm just very lucky that we can be at MB or the smoky mountains withing three hours.

Until July, Adios Myrtle Beach!

Post subject: Re: May 13-15th, 2016
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Great trip report, Michael. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it, and to share it with outMyrtle Beach friends. Sounds like a good time....sorry you could not stay longer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:16 am 

You packed a lot in to such a short trip ! Hopefully it helped the stress... I know I could use a quick MB trip right about now :nanner:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:20 am 

Glad you got to get away even if for just a short weekend! It has been so chilly here in Ohio the past few days...temps last night 32.5...that is cold even for Ohio...so I would welcome a short trip! Sounds like you got a lot done!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 am 

Even though your trip was short it sounds like you were able to do the things you wanted to and enjoyed yourselves. A break is a good thing short or long. Thanks for taking the time to share.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:29 pm 

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us!! Sounds like a great time and you sure got a lot packed into just a few days!

"After dinner, we had a few beverages on the balcony and played some cards in front of the balcony, and called it a night."

Sounds wonderful...isn't that what vacation is all about!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:37 am 

Thanks for the "much needed" trip report. May trip reports are pretty rare due to the bike weeks keeping a lot of people away from MB. Sounds like you had a great time even though the stay was short. Nice that you got to stop at Crabby Mikes. Nothing like the seafood at the beach.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:16 pm 

Sun n' Fun wrote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us!! Sounds like a great time and you sure got a lot packed into just a few days!

"After dinner, we had a few beverages on the balcony and played some cards in front of the balcony, and called it a night."

Sounds wonderful...isn't that what vacation is all about!

Yes, it is!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:18 pm 

MBKY wrote:
Thanks for the "much needed" trip report. May trip reports are pretty rare due to the bike weeks keeping a lot of people away from MB. Sounds like you had a great time even though the stay was short. Nice that you got to stop at Crabby Mikes. Nothing like the seafood at the beach.

This is the 2nd time that we came down during the start of Harley week. I have to say that we actually enjoyed watching the bikes. Now with that being said, I'm not sure how we would like being here during busy time of Harley week.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 pm 

cbr_guest wrote:
MBKY wrote:

This is the 2nd time that we came down during the start of Harley week. I have to say that we actually enjoyed watching the bikes. Now with that being said, I'm not sure how we would like being here during busy time of Harley week.

It's sad that the bike weeks (the Memorial Day one in particular) keep people from enjoying the beach. I've heard horror stories about the one in late May from a person who is known to party with the best of them. If that person was a little scared from the environment then I too would stay away. People should be respectful of others and not make them feel uncomfortable. I know a lot of people that bypass MB the whole month of May because of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 pm 

I can relate to your need to go by the flea market every year. We have our own traditions that are "must do" parts of every vacation, or we wouldn't feel like we've been to the beach. I hope we can get to Myrtle Beach this year. We are working on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Tim, that's it in a nutschell.

Bill, I hope you and Jody can work it out to come back to the beach this year.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall