Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:10 pm 

I drive down from Virginia right on the border near Martinsville Speedway. While recently in MB I discussed the horrible traffic I run into once I hit 501 with some locals. I use 220 South.

I was told a better way was to use 544 near Socastee and use I think he said SC31 also. Somehow these would avoid the busiest roads like 17 and 501. Is this true?

Every route I have ever tried takes over 5 hours (6 if you add traffic and a restroom stop). Even with 74 out of Rockingham and I 95 I am not gaining any time and the drivers on those roads are insane sometimes.

Did the locals I talked to have the right idea or does anyone have a better idea?
Thank You.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Neegan, the key that you have not said is where you're headed. Surfside or North Myrtle...From Greensboro/Rockingham to Surfside is best to follow 220/ 73/74 thru Bennettsville and 38 to 501. We have done this many times and there is not a better way. If you're going to NMB, then 74 and through Tabor City/ Loris and across 9 will work better. Hitting 22 east of Aynor to MB and then 31 is much longer unless you are going to NMB.
It takes 6 about hours to get to Roanoke and the same or a bit longer to Boone, NC ... Until 74 gets built from I-95 to MB it will take that long.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:04 am 

Thanks Patrish. I sometimes say North at Dayton House other times I stay more toward the airport. Hopefully I can adjust these directions to help out some. I had tried 22 since traffic was backed up for a long ways in Aynor due to a fender bender and I hate going through Conway when it is crowded. I'd rather be moving than sitting even if it adds a bit to the trip.

I doubt the roads like the interstates will be completely open for quite some time. I am also noticing with each trip that the MB roads are increasingly clogged by traffic as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:44 pm 

If traffic is "really" heavy 22 is an option to get away from the stop and go of 501 or 544. Like Patrish alluded to though, it does add time and miles to the trip if traffic is not terrible on 501 or 544, but at least 22 is pretty much certain to be moving all the way to 31. Sometimes we take 501 and other times 22, just depending on when we are arriving and how the traffic looks ahead. If you do decide to take 22, we usually take it to 31 down to the Robert Grissom exit and take that down to the airport. Nice to see BATB on the way into the beach.

One positive about 22 and 31 is that you can pretty much set the cruise control and just point it in the direction you want to go. I've never witnessed a whole lot of traffic on either one of these.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 am 

We usually leave KY around 4 am but thinking of leaving around 2 because the grandsons want to get there early enough to go to the mustang car show. It is the last day when we get there... so we are hoping to be coming through 501 fairly early and to not run into much traffic. :hysterical:

Carol