Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

According to your new photo post, I need to get me some of that Sweet Bourbon Glaze from Paula Dean. One obvious benefit is that I'll look 21 again. Can't wait to sample that!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:21 am 

Now I really need to make it up to Broadway at the Beach. I can't wait to pick up a bottle of Paula Deen's bourbon sauce. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:25 pm 

Someone asked me why I decided to come south this winter. This is basically why. My home in Plymouth last February. The snow storms came about three days apart all winter.

https://tomplymatravel.shutterfly.com/pictures

Monday has evolved into grocery shopping day, so I'm off to Bi-Lo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Burrrrr! Except for pictures, I haven't seem snow for many, many years...and I hope I never to see it again!

I'm glad you're enjoying your Myrtle Beach stay!

P.S. Bi-Lo is a tourist destination. Get yourself over to Wal-Mart, get in line, and talk to some locals! :clown:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:01 am 

Kind of a lazy week with all the rain so I caught up on some reading and taught myself how to use Periscope (which is a lot of fun). Drove by the fire station on 33rd street south in North Myrtle Beach yesterday. Very little voting activity. Of course it was the middle of the day.
Drove up Rt 544 to Conway yesterday afternoon to take in the Coastal Carolina vs Ohio State baseball game. What a beautiful facility Spring Brook Stadium is. With temp in the mid 50s it was a perfect afternoon to sit outside in the sun. I parked in a lot about a quarter mile from the stadium and took the campus shuttle bus to the ballpark. The stadium is only a few years old and is maintained in beautiful condition. Good crowd. Surprised by the large turnout of Ohio State fans.
Stopped for a bite to eat at a place called The Shack on Sky Mountain Rd. Excellent!. Had a Flounder sandwich with fries and really good (and large) onion rings. And they serve hush puppies with every meal. Very reasonable prices.
So have a great week folks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:25 am 
Site Admin

You are starting to sound like a local! :cool:

So glad you found the time to take in the game, and yes, Ohio State is always well-represented wherever they play. Thanks for adding the photo!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:06 am 

You sure know how to dive in and enjoy the area. Good for you! We are huge baseball fans and your day sounded most enjoyable. Can't wait until the regular season starts :) Thanks for posting. It has been fun following you around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:29 pm 

You sound like you are having a wonderful time!! We will be down in 4 weeks and I can't wait!!

Tomplyma wrote:
Stopped for a bite to eat at a place called The Shack on Sky Mountain Rd. Excellent!. Had a Flounder sandwich with fries and really good (and large) onion rings. And they serve hush puppies with every meal. Very reasonable prices.

I believe the Shack is on Sea Mountain Highway in Cherry Grove, if it's the same Shack I am thinking of. Their food is great and their prices unbelievable!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:11 pm 

Yes, Sea Mountain Highway in Cherry Grove. Boy can I ever mess up a name! But the staff at The Shack is top notch. You get the feeling they want to be there. I chatted with the owner a bit after eating and gave the staff a verbal high five.
Going to the Palace tomorrow night to listen to an Eagles tribute band. Looking forward to it.

Ok, take a peek at the pic. Where am I?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

I know exactly where you are, but I'll give someone else a chance to answer.

>... Boy can I ever mess up a name!

Funny story. Shortly after we moved here I had a job selling and designing websites for members of the Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce. One place I had to go was located on Sea Mountain Hwy. It was my first time going to North Myrtle, and I had to stop for directions. I chose what looked to be a local's favorite blue-plate kind of restaurant/bar with lots of cars around. Some nice person behind the bar tried to help me.

"I'm looking for Cementin' Highway" I said. The vision in my head was the voice on the phone telling me the location. At the time I thought yes, I can remember that. A verb. I'll associate it with someone pouring cement on a road. "We're cementing this highway."

But the nice person looked confused. Several people sitting at the bar got into the conversation, guessing various roads and highways that might have confused me. Finally some dude at the end of the bar says "I'll bet you're looking for Sea Mountain Highway. You're not from around here, are you." (That was a statement, not a question) "No," I replied. "I'm not from South Carolina, I'm from Southwest Virginia. But hey, we speak Southern too, y'all." We were all laughing by then, so I always remember this story with fondness.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:44 pm 

I really had to laugh at your story. I could see myself doing that very easily!

So the Eagles tribute show last night was full of energy. I loved the venue too. The Palace with its great acoustics was jumping! Good crowd too. I don't know how many it seats, but there were only 200 or so empty seats. Getting out of the parking lot is a different story. Patience is a virtue in need of some work for sure.

Had a nice dinner before the concert at...... well that's the answer to the next "Wher am I" pic. See below.

http://tomplymatravel.shutterfly.com/pictures

.....later

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:51 pm 

So what have I been up to. Went to Boardwalk Billys. Either NMB or Little River, not sure which. Liked it a lot and would go back. Very attentive waiter but not too attentive if you know what I mean. I dislike it when the waiter or waitress is consyantly hovering looking to remove tableware. Left him a good tip. So far they have had the best hush puppies IMHO.
Oh, bought a few kites to fly on the beach. No problem getting them to fly with the constant breeze. So after flying them on the beach we took them up to the condo unit (12th floor corner unit) and flew them from the balcony. Even better! We had quite a following from down below.
Anyhow, finally made it to Calabash for some authentic Calabash shrimp. Stopped at The Seafood Hut.
One word. Great! Huge portions expertly prepared. Again IMHO. Never before had shrimp that tender and perfectly seasoned.
Today we went back to the campus of Carolina Coastal University to take in the men's baseball game against the University of Illinois at 11 and then NC Greensboro at 3PM. What a fabulous campus! I purchased a Chants baseball cap from the souvenir shop at the field. So, I guess that means I'll have to keep returning until the hat wears out. No problem!
But all good things must end and we begin our trip north this week. Boooooo!
It's been fun sharing with all you guys. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. And just think, next year I won't have to use the newbies page! Take care all!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:18 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing your visit with all of us! I do not get to come until August this year...so reading about your travels and such was great for me! It is so nice to be able to spend an extended time in the area! Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

I have loved your posts and following you around as you become better acquainted with our area. So glad you had a good time, and don't forget about us! We're around all year long!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:53 am 

I really enjoyed all your post!! Thanks Again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next