Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:59 am 

Funny you would mention Surfside Beach. One of the places on my "to visit" list is the Pink Pineapple.
One of my quests in life is to find the absolute best tuna sandwich in the world. So, of course I have to try the Pink Pineapple's version. So far it's a tie between a place in Falmouth, MA and a place in North Providence, RI.
Just as an aside, I grew up and went to school in Providence, RI and lived there in my parent's house until entering the Air Force in 1967. Upon separation from the service I went to work in Boston's financial district where I stayed for the next 35 or so years. In spite of all my city living I really do consider myself to be a type "B" personality. I found the transition to retirement very easy. My friends cautioned me to have a "retirement plan" but I knew I wouldn't. I'm winging it.
.....later

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:57 am 

Around noon yesterday I set out to visit two places, the Pink Pineapple bakery in Surfside and Broadway by the Sea. No problem finding the Pink Pineapple (although I did drive by it once). I'm a map person, I don't use GPS. Unfortunately, when I arrived there was a crowd of people congregated outside the entrance for some type of ribbon cutting ceremony. Not wanting to wait I made a mental note of the location for a future visit and headed back north on Rt. 17. Just in my own simple mind I've come to calling Rt 17 big 17 and Business Rt 17 little 17. I headed north on little 17.
Yesterday's adventure proved I'm still a MB newbie and don't entirely know where the hell I'm going. I mean, how does one miss something as large as Broadway by the Sea. I'm heading north on little 17 and I made an earlier mental note it was around 21st street. I'm driving, one eye on the road, glancing to the right saying to myself WHERE THE HELL IS THIS PLACE! I now realize it would have been on my right had I been going north on big 17. I chalked it up to lessons learned. I did have to laugh at myself.
.......later

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:37 pm 

Great reporting ! Had me going with Broadway by the Sea... was wondering if I missed a new attraction being open :lol:

I like "winging it" for retirement.... I could play that game :nanner:

Let us know how that tuna sandwich is !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:17 pm 

Broadway at the Beach. Sorry. Maybe that's why I couldn't find it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:52 pm 

:ac41[1]:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:25 pm 

Did a return visit to the Pink Pineapple today. Also Broadway at the Beach. No, it didn't elude me this time!
As luck would have it, it turned out to be $1 cupcake day at the bakery. I inquired what the ceremony was at my previous visit. Turns out the C of C was hosting a third anniversary celebration for the bakery.
They do have a good tuna on the menu. But, alas, they do not offer it on a sub roll making them eneligible for the worlds best tuna sub contest.
Broadway at the Beach is, as Bernie would say, huuuge. I parked, got out, walked around and then drove around to the other side of the complex and parked again and repeated the process. I tried to imagine what this place must be like in the summer. And, a bonus, my foot feels pretty good after all the walking.
Now I'm off to Nacho Hippo for some $3 margaritas and some wicked hot salsa.
I've taken photos of my travels, but not sure how (or if) they can be inserted in these posts. Anyone know?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

You're certainly becoming adept at finding your way around. So have you heard many southern accents yet? Any "y'alls"? How would you rank the level of friendliness that you are finding in the stores, restaurants, etc.

Here's help about posting photos. First you have to already have them linked to one of the free photo-sharing website. You can find a list here:
http://www.techlicious.com/guide/best-p ... ing-sites/

After you have then stored on a web storage site you can refer to the link below for help posting the here on the message board:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2885

Hope this helps. I have really enjoyed seeing the Myrtle Beach area through your eyes!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:27 am 

Quote:
They do have a good tuna on the menu. But, alas, they do not offer it on a sub roll making them eneligible for the worlds best tuna sub contest.

Off-Topic, but if you are ever on the NorthShore of Boston, stop in Danvers and visit Betty Ann's

http://bettyannssubs.com/

Best tuna sub I have ever had.... and we do a fair amount of traveling and eating cheap food :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:13 pm 

I'm watching the Scalia funeral on CNN. What a beautiful service. How long since I've witnessed a Mass in Latin.
Our Lady Star of the Sea holds a fish fry on the Friday nights of Lent ($10/person). They also offer a pasta dinner for those not wanting fish. It runs from 5 to 7. I got there about 5:20. Couldn't find a parking space! I was amazed. Give it another try next Friday, but I'll go a little later.

Thanks for the tip on inverting photos. I'll give it a shot.

I don't have occasion to get to Boston's north shore now that I've retired, but for a good tuna sub I'd be willing to make the effort. Maybe combine the trip with a visit to Thompson's Clam Shack in Ipswich. I do have a particular weakness for the fried clam!

I try to get a feeling for the places I visit by avoiding the tourist places as much as possible and speaking with the areas' inhabitants. I've avoided the almost overwhelming temptation to throw in a "y'all". I'll wait till I get home for that! So far I've really enjoyed conversing those native South Corillians willing to share their experiences. The worker at Bi-Lo's who advised I not try to retrieve my ball from any water hazard was a hoot! Also, a clerk at Paula Dean's shop at Broadway at the Beach, with her strong southern accent was fun to chat with. Very friendly people all!
.....later

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:01 pm 

https://tomplymatravel.shutterfly.com/pictures

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

OK...you photo album is showing up. Good job! Now you can add more! :cool:

I was thinking of this southern accent subject this morning as Wally and I were waiting in line to vote for the SC Republican presidential nominee. There was a long line, and I never heard so many northern accents all in one place! It shows how diversified our nearby neighborhoods are becoming.

>...I've avoided the almost overwhelming temptation to throw in a "y'all"

LOL...I'll give you another week or so. And remember a group of people is "all y'all." Two people are "y'all two." This is much easier on the ear than "youse guys." :clown:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:07 am 

Tomplyma wrote:
Broadway at the Beach is, as Bernie would say, huuuge. I parked, got out, walked around and then drove around to the other side of the complex and parked again and repeated the process. I tried to imagine what this place must be like in the summer.

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought something or ate at a place at BATB, but it still is a stop we make at least a couple of times on our week down. I just go for the whole "atmosphere" of the place.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:07 pm 

I hadn't intended buying anything, but I sampled the Sweet Bourbon Glaze at Paula Deans and it was so good I had to buy a bottle.
After the 8 o'clock Mass this morning stopped for breakfast at Eggs Up Grill. Service was good, but the food was kinda just average. Oh, I did have grits here for the first time ever. They were served in a small bowl. My initial impression was very bland and thought won't order these again. But then I hit them with a good shot of maple syrup and like magic they transformed into something quite enjoyable.

Watching the Daytona 500. A sure sign of Spring. That and the Masters.

Bought tickets to next Saturday's baseball game between Coastal Carolina College and Ohio State in Conway. I understand they have a new (2013) stadium. Should be fun. I'm a big Red Sox fan. Go Chants!!

Have a great Sunday all!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:08 pm 

https://tomplymatravel.shutterfly.com/pictures

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:23 pm 

Tomplyma wrote:

Watching the Daytona 500. A sure sign of Spring. That and the Masters.

I couldnt agree more. I usually miss some of the Masters because I want to get outside after the weather breaks for the good. Outside of summer, the transition from winter to spring is my favorite time of year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next