All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: January Trip 2016 (Golf)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:28 pm 

This year we are playing

- Brunswick Plantation
- Sandpiper Bay
- Pearl West
- Azalea Sands

I've played the first two and nothing too special at Brunswick Plantation. Sand Piper was manicured really nice for January.

I've been reading about the female Caddy Service at Azalea Sands but I am not interested in shelling out $160 for a caddy. I don't care if it is male or female.

We are staying at Brunswick Plantation so any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for posting. It looks like you will be busy and I hope you will have good weather! I added the word 'golf' to the subject, hoping it will catch the attention of any golfers reading the posts.

Here are some restaurants near Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort. We have been to Ella's many times Inexpensive, but always good.

http://www.gogobot.com/brunswick-planta ... estaurants

Here's a review of that area, mentioning Bouandary House and some other restaurants in the area:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=15024&p=106868&hilit=boundary#p106868

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 pm 

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been to the area many times but we seems to eat at the same places each time in the Calabash area.

I'll be down Monday for the Thanksgiving week with the family too. I love the beach front prices in the off season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:48 am 

Haven't played those courses yet, but as far as restaurants the Parsons Table and Chianti South on Route 17 in Little River are both very good. Have a great time!

http://chiantisouth.us

http://www.parsonstable.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:33 am 

I'll be anxious to hear your report on the courses. Of the 4, I've only played Azalea Sands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:17 pm 

Can't wait to share your report with my husband. He eats and sleeps golf :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Me too! We don't get many golf reviews, so I'm looking forward to yours! :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:20 pm 

OK here it goes. Drove down Thursday to stay at Brunswick Plantation from West Virginia during our stay. One guy in our group is a Po'Boy sandwich freak. I said I knew a place to eat. We pulled up to the Boundary House and they had a small were closed sign out front. He was devastated. I took him down to the waterfront in Calabash and let him eat at the Dockside.

First we played the Sandpiper course. It is always a good course but we could not control the rains and we could only get nine holes in. The greens were good and the course was in nice shape.

The next day we played the Azalea Sands Course. It is an older course and it shows. They are trying to keep it going but it is nothing special. The guy who booked our trip claimed he had to take it as part of our package. I think he was hoping to sneak a peak at the Caddie Girls who you can book for $160 a round to serve as your caddie.

The Pearl West was the crown jewel of the package. It again rained on this day. The people at the club house said the only reason they opened at all was because our group was coming in this day. We had 16 golfers. The course runs through some undeveloped country and was challenging. The greens were very well tended to.

Brunswick Plantation is a course that is surrounded by houses. You won't get the feeling of being out n nature like at the Pearl. The houses do not crowd the fairways. You will have to cross neighborhood streets to get from one hole to the other. The course was in better shape from when I played it about seven years ago. It played well from the rain we had two days.

Staying in Brunswick was nice for the location to the courses. We stayed in a condo that was clean and roomy. The walls were paper thin and the condo above had people who must have been wearing army boots and tap shoes. We could hear them every time they moved.

All in all a nice trip. You can't beat playing golf in January in short sleeve shirts and shorts if the weather permits. Going from that to digging out 16 inches of snow this past weekend was a reality check for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:55 pm 

I'm getting old... I was thinking $160 for 10 hooter-girl caddies for your group wouldn't even be worth it :dontknow:

Thanks for the report, too bad you hit some massive rains !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for writing this review. I really appreciate it.

I had the same thought as Kirk....but what the heck. If that's what the golfers like and they have the money to pay for it,,,go for it! :cool:

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed report!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:04 pm 

You didn't have the best weather but had a good time in spite of it. Thanks for sharing.