Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:25 am 

I'm not to good at detailed reports, but I'm going to try (finding time may be an issue) to complete at least a basic summarized report. Hopefully this one doesn't accidently get deleted! :cool:

We knew for several months that we were going to take an "adult" only weekend trip to MB, but we didn't really know when. So we randomly picked a weeken that worked around all five of our schedules. Our plan was for it to be a Friday-Sunday trip, but three of us in our group packed Wednesday night. So when we all got off Thursday afternoon, we decided we were going to head on down. Since we had five adults going, we wanted somewhere with five beds. We spent the week just searching for the best deal the met out needs. I called Paradise Resort to book the room a few minutes before we left. For some reason, they can not match the online rates over the phone. So I went online and booked it there to save $100, plus get two free breakfasts for each morning.We left home about 6:45, stopped and ate dinner, and were at Food Lion in MB at 10:20pm.

We arrived at the hotel shortly after leaving the grocery store for our adult beverage supplies. We asked for a room as high as we could go, the we were placed on the 20th floor! After unloading the car and getting settled, we headed down to view the pools, and to put our feet in the sand.

Friday morning we woke up and headed oe of the many pancake houses for breakfast. I can't think of the name of it right now. After breakfast, we headed north to mall in North Myrtle Beach that has the Bass Pro shop. The mall is maybe a littlw more than 50% capacity with the stores there. We spent a couple of hours here, and then decided to head to Pure Palmetto in Garden City/Surfside to see what kind of Gamecock Appareal they had in stock. We purchased a few things here. We were heading back north torwards MB and saw Tomlinson's. We have heard several peope mention going here while in Mb, but we never have. Wow, we were amazed with this place. They have all kinds of things are great prices and bargins. After spending several hours in here and too much money, we decided it was time to head back to the room. By this point, it was about 2pm, we were getting hungrey, and were still waiting on the other two people that were joining our trip. We headed north down Ocean Blvd and stopped at the 2nd Ave pier. Since they had a restaurant, we decided to order a few appeitizers and enjoy the view. We ordered onion rings, bacon wrapped shrimp, and crab cakes. The crab cakes were the best that any of us have ever had! The other two people joining us called about 3:30 and told us they were in Conway, so we headed back to the hotel to wait on them. They arrived and got setteled in and we decided to go to Broadway and walk around. We went into a hand full of shops and walked around almost the entire area, and decided we were getting hungery. There was nothing at Broadway to was to appealing food wise, so we decided to head to Damon's next to Spring Maid. This was the first trip there in probably 10 year, an it will probably the last for a while. We arrived and were seated promptly. The waiter took our orders, and brought out salads right away. It took about 50 minutes to get our meals after our salads arrived! When it arrived, most was just barely warm........

I will try to add some more to the review in the next day or so. I will also edit the typos. Typing this from my iPad is not the bst idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Michael, thanks so much for writing a trip review! There are 2 Tomlinson's here - one in North Myrtle Beach and the other next to the Post Office in Surfside. I'm guessing you shopped at the Surfside location. It's a fun place to browse, and I can't recall ever walking out empty-handed.

How was the Paradise? It sounds like you got a good deal on your rental.

You packed a lot into your time here! So glad you were able to get to the beach for a few days!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:46 pm 

Can't wait to read more!! Sounds so wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing about Tomlinson's...might have to take a peak around next time :hello: !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:37 am 

Friday night after dinner, we headed back to the hotel. We spent some time in the lazy river and hot tub, finished the night off with some drinks on the balcony.

We started our Saturday morning off with breakfast at Sandals, which was the on-site restaurant. The online special two provided free breakfast passes per day. They let us use them all in one day. The buffet was actually pretty good. After breakfast, we headed to Hudson's flea market in Surfise. We were here in July, and saw the same things that are here every year, but we decided to take a quick browse. It was actually nice to be able to walk through when it was not 90 degrees outside and not so crowded. We made a few purchases here. Next stop was the tanger outlet on 501. The first stop was the VF outlet store. We walked in and saw some of our neighbors from home in there. What a coincidence. they said their trip was a spontaneous decision. We spent a few hours browsing the outlets. We got an early start on Christmas shopping this year anyways! After leaving the outlet, it was about 3pm. We decided to go play putt-putt. So all five adults went to the putt putt course at the corner of Ocean Blvd and Hwy 17 at the Market Commons entrance. Out of all of the trips that I have ever taken to MB and all of the times we have played Putt Putt, I think that is the first time I have ever played at this course. Our putt putt game ended and we headed back to the room to watch some Gamecock Football. Just my luck, the room did not have the SEC network channel. So we listened to the game. By half time, we had enough of listening, because it was not a swell start. None of us had actually had lunch and we were starving. We knew we wanted crab legs, well four of us did. One person in our party doesn't care for crab legs. Normally, Crab Mikes is our go to spot for crab legs while in MB. We searched and discovered that your only paid for crab legs at Preston's in NMB if you ate them. By this time, it was 6:45. So we all opted for Crabby Mikes instead of taking the drive to NMB. We all chippd in and paid for the persons dinner that didn't eat crab legs so they didn't feel like they wasted money on the buffet. We headed back to the room, fixed some beverages, and went down the to ocean when we returned. We walked down a little ways until it started lighting off in the distance, so we headed back the room to pack and called it a night.

Sunday, we woke up and finished packing our remaining items. We checked out and left MB about 9am. Two of our group was in more of a hurry to get home, so they went on. The rest of us wanted to stop at Shoney's in Conway for breakfast. We use to love Shoney's breakfast, but all the Shoney's around our home closed three or so years ago. Well, Shoney's in Conway was empty and the sign said that they were relocating. We googled it, but didn't find anything. So we stopped at Ryan's in Conway. We use to enjoy their breakfast at home also, but they have closed too. The breakfast was okay. It wasn't as good as our Ryan's use to be at home. After breakfast, we were on the road to head back to reality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:44 am 

Paradise was nice. I would say that it is about average though. Everything was clean. There was some minor cosmetic damage around the condo. I would hate to be here in the summer during capacity with the little pool space that they have. The plus side is that you can use Compass Cove amenities. We did not bother though since it was a short trip.

The weather was FANTASTIC! It was around 80 Friday and Saturday with NO rain! I think it rained everyday here at home since the first day of November until this past Tuesday. We were told it rained some everyday while we were at the beach too. It rained the entire way back home.

We all had a great time. It was nice to be able to get away and enjoy ourselves. It was also nice to be able to enjoy MB without the summer crowds. We haven't taken an off season trip to MB in several years. We have fell in love with cruising, so that has been taking place of the off seasaon trips the last 4 or so years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 am 

Sun n' Fun wrote:
Can't wait to read more!! Sounds so wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing about Tomlinson's...might have to take a peak around next time :hello: !

It was great. They literally have a litle bit of everything with some great deals. I'm sure this will become a stop for now on while in MB.

Patrish, we did visit the Surfside location.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 am 

Thanks for the report, always love short-impromptu trips !

Too bad about the slow kitchen service at Damons (though if the food wasn't hot, you wonder if the kitchen or the waitstaff was to blame). Especially since I don't imagine they were busy on an early November weekend. You would think the service would be phenomenal in the off-season.....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:42 am 

Thanks so much for sharing your trip! You did a lot! I have never been to Tomlinson's sounds like a visit will be in order on our next trip to Surfside...

Our Ryan's closed down a few years ago...it used to be pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:34 pm 

Thanks for posting and glad the weather was great for your trip. It makes all the difference in the world. We have never done an impromptu trip as I am such a planner but it sounds like fun!