Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abuelo's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.abuelos.com/

It has probably been 2+ years since we ate here. But we had a BOGO coupon that needed to be used before the end of the year, so off we went towards Coastal Grand Mall.

If you have never been to this restaurant, you will immediately notice the decor, including a recessed ceiling with soft lighting, featuring a clear blue sky with plenty of authentic-looking clouds.

Wally ordered the Marinated Steak Wood-grilled fajita steak. served sizzling with traditional peppers and onions or our signature garden-fresh mixed vegetables, charro beans, homemade guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheeses and a choice of flour or corn tortillas, or Romaine lettuce for wrapping. Of course I had a taste and thought it was quite good. $16.79

I enjoyed the Salmon Santa Cruz, wood-frilled Norwegian salmon filet topped with lemon wine sauce. The salmon was perfectly cooked. Also $16.79.

They have this little black box that sits on the table like a silent guest. It even has a name - Ziosk. You can "capture the moment" using the built-in camera and upload the picture to Facebook. You can play games on it, order your meal and pay our bill. I believe there is an fee for some Ziosk's talents, but I did not ask which or how much. We did use it to pay our bill and used the "tip calculator." I guess this is the futureā€¦no more wait persons??

As we left, I said we needed to get back here more often. The prices are reasonable for a nice night out, the decor is and ambiance are lovely, service was good (we opted for a real person!) and the manager came around to ask about our experience.

TIP: My house wine was 6.50 and Wally's Amber Draft was 4.69. We didn't realize that Happy Hour is only good at the bar, and they do have table-seating there. (Wines are $3. and domestic drafts are 3.60) WE COULD have moved to the bar, but by the time we discovered this, we decided to stay where we were. Next time we'll know.

Decor:

Wally's Fjajita

My salmon

Meet Ziosk

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject: Abuelo's
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:40 pm 

Loved your report. We are FINALLY making it to MB
In October. Love everything I've read about this place. So many choices. Thanks for your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Abuelo's
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:08 pm 

We enjoy Abuelo's , but have not been there in a few years. I'm not a big fan of the "eat at the bar" and get happy hour. A lot of time you don't have an option to sit at the bar during these times and it just doesnt seem fair that a guy sitting 20 feet away is paying 1/2 price for the same beer that I ordered. Glad that you enjoyed your meal. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:54 am 

One of my favorites!!! YUM.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:20 pm 

I really wish we had an Abuelo's near us !

We've only been to the MB location once (during a meetup in 2004 or so) and enjoyed it. Unfortunately I don't even like to look at malls when I'm on vacation, so we've never been back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

We stopped at Abuelo's to grab a drink and a bite to eat! Liked the three dips and chips they give you, and the Negro Modelo was ice cold!! Hadn't been here for a while, glad we finally made it back! Seared tuna app was also extremely good!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 pm 

Abuelo's | 740 Coastal Grand Cir, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 | http://www.abuelos.com/

Complimentary chips and 3 salsas - Salsas (left to right) were spicy, medium, and mild. The chips needed salt

Layered Dip (chile con queso, guacamole, refried beans, ground beef, sour cream) - Good!

Quesadilla Al Horno (oven-baked, fajita chicken, topped with melted cheese) with refried beans and rice - Mom thought the quesadillas were okay. There was way too much cheese for her liking. The refried beans were too salty.

Seasoned Ground beef Enchiladas with chile con carne - Enchiladas were tiny compared to previous visits. Dad liked the taste but wished they were bigger. The rice was good. The refried beans were too salty.

Stuffed Chicken Medallions (chicken medallions stuffed with chorizo, poblano peppers and cheese, lightly fried) with beans and rice - As I remembered them tasting. I don't recall getting that much chicken but it was a lot. I was a bit disappointed because they used to give you these awesome mashed potatoes instead of the beans, but I did enjoy the beans and rice

This used to be one of our favorite restaurants in MB. We haven't been here in a couple of years. There used to be a server here we loved having and requested every time we came in, but he left a couple of years ago. We came in on a Monday around 6:30pm. We were seated immediately. All of the booths along the sides were occupied. There was only one other table other than ours occupied in the main room. Our server was friendly. The service was decent. We had to ask for refills but he checked in every now and then. They provide an electronic tabletop pad were you can play games and pay by credit card (you swipe it via the machine). Overall, we probably won't return any time soon. We're not completely writing the place off, though. There are other Mexican restaurants in the area that we haven't tried.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 pm 

Didn't have the wow factor a couple of years ago when we went and you can get a better bargain at some of the small town type Mexicans in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Hummm.....I started this string back in 2014, so it's interesting to re-read it, and see the not-so-stellar comments up to the current date..

Back in the summer we received a coupon in the mail from Abuelo's and addressed to "Wally Snider or current resident" valid only from Oct. 16 through Nov. 12 for a BOGO entree. We hadn't thought about this place for a long time, but being the cheapskates we are, we figured we should not turn down a BOGO. (I'll report in if/when we use it.)

Thanks for all the comments!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall