Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm 

So, with so many at work heading to the Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach these next few weeks, this is the talk of work right now. Surprised no one has posted it yet, or does it create too much panic?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/14/us/nc-shark-attacks/

My heart goes out to the families. I have a 14 year old daughter. I couldn't imagine this happening. Seems both are stable, but young lives changed forever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

>...or does it create too much panic?

I didn't know about this or I would have posted it myself. This is knowledge that needs to be made public and shared. I am so sorry for the two teens, as their lives have changed forever And I just can't imagine the difficulty parents and relatives will have trying to cope.

Please, please be careful when you enter the ocean. Our N.C. and S.C. shores have reported attacks every year.

Here is some good advice from the S.C. State Parks:

When swimming: know how to swim, swim in a lifeguarded area, never swim alone or at night, don’t go out too deep, stay 150 yards or 450 feet away from the fishing pier. Review with your friends and family how to swim out of rip currents (swim parallel to the beach). We have rip current signs at every single boardwalk.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:11 pm 

Me and my son are here in MB on vacation right now, the attacks are the main conversation on the beach and out in the ocean. You can tell more people are staying closer to shore, or opting for the swimming pools.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:09 pm 

I never understood why the news is so focused on shark attacks?? I do feel sorry of the ones that were attacked. But, I think more people are killed by lightning a year than getting bit by a shark!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:11 pm 

I also found this as someone posted it on TripAdvisor:

For what it's worth according to National Geographic the US averages just 19 shark attacks each year and one shark-attack fatality every two years. Meanwhile, in the coastal U.S. states alone, lightning strikes and kills more than 37 people each year. Here's some more statistical odds that may make you feel even better:

Odds of getting struck by lightning in your lifetime: 1 in 3,000

Odds of being injured by a toilet this year: 1 in 10,000

Odds of getting killed by a shark: 1 in 3.7 million

Odds of dying from an asteroid or comet: between 1 in 3,000 and 1 in 250,000

Odds of your car hitting a deer in Hawaii, the state where that is least likely to occur: 1 in 6,787

Odds of dying from a bee sting: 1 in 6 million

Odds of being murdered today in the United States: 1 in 19,000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:31 pm 

I think the key piece of info in the story is the attacks were near a pier.
One of the first things they teach in Beach Vacation 101 is don't swim near piers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:37 pm 

Just saw this one that apparently happened Saturday next to the 2nd Ave Pier.
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/18686717/ ... rtle-beach

Seems to me that common sense would tell you not to get in the water near the piers. Drove me crazy 2 years ago, we were at the Landmark Resort and guys were surf fishing in the middle of the beach at 1:00 in the afternoon. Beach was packed. I don't understand why that is allowed, but I digress. Stay out of the water in the morning and late afternoon, don't swim near piers and watch the environment. If there are groups of fish in the area, birds diving nearby, chances are that larger animals are after those fish as well. We are leaving Friday and will be in town Saturday, we aren't worried about it, we are pretty smart about it and respect that we are the visitors to the ocean, not the other way around!!
Melissa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:39 pm 

Mr. Green wrote:
I never understood why the news is so focused on shark attacks?? I do feel sorry of the ones that were attacked. But, I think more people are killed by lightning a year than getting bit by a shark!!!

It's because it doesn't happen that much that it makes news. It is sensational to report a shark attack, a "scene straight from Jaws" as I read on one news site.

[quote=pop2748]I think the key piece of info in the story is the attacks were near a pier.
One of the first things they teach in Beach Vacation 101 is don't swim near piers.[/quote]
Yup, we were up on the 2nd Ave. Pier when I motioned down to the water for the kids. There were 2 people swimming fairly close to the pier and we could see I would guess a 4-5 foot shark swimming within feet behind them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:26 am 

There was another in Surf City, NC Wednesday, but this appears to be more of the accidental variety with minor injuries.

http://www.wral.com/boy-8-bitten-by-sha ... /14735957/

Breakers June 2014
Breakers June 2013
Breakers June 2012
Breakers June 2011
Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008