Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:30 pm 
Forum Support

Is this thing on? Maybe its on my end? But I haven't seen or can't find any posts from the last 2 days or so. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:23 pm 

Still here......
Just get in rut during work week......
Check board every night but too tired to sit up and type.......

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Same thing here, Melissa. This old message board just isn't what it used to be.

It reminds me of when the Pavilion closed back when the message board was in its heyday. We had a flood of responses, possibly as many as 200, all along the same lines. Basically everyone had fond memories of going there as a child, and were crestfallen that management would even CONSIDER closing. But when you asked individuals the last time they went to the Pavilion, they couldn't remember. Never mind that Burroughs & Chapin lost money every time they opened the gates, no one wanted them to close up shop.

Sound familiar? :sad:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:34 am 

Counting days until our August vacation...when I check in and read the reports of others...I alternate between being really excited about going...to being sad because I can not go right now! But the sadness never lasts long...because someone's report will always perk me up again! At least the weather in Ohio is much better...green trees...lots of grass mowing...and pretty flowers...no white stuff!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Jo.

Whoops. I had a PM from someone asking if the board is on its last legs. It my well be, but rest assured I will not take the message board down.

There is a lot of excellent information here, and a lot of good people supporting it. The fee I pay for storage includes the entire funbeaches domain so more or fewer pages doesn't make any difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:39 pm 

missingthebeach wrote:
Is this thing on? Maybe its on my end? But I haven't seen or can't find any posts from the last 2 days or so. :dontknow:

Some regulars have quit posting as much. I too wondered why no one had made a post in a couple of days. I had board withdrawals the last time this thing was offline. Hopefully this thing gets rolling when school gets out. Myrtle Beach is mostly a seasonal vacation place.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:38 pm 

I think modern technology is changing social networking.

Back in the day every truck had a CB. You got road and weather information from it. Socialized with other drivers going the same direction.
Today. Everybody has cell phone and GPS. No need to ask directions until GPS gets you back on some road you shouldn't be on. Why talk to driver you don't know when a push of a button puts you in contact with wife, girlfriend, kids, etc a hundred miles away. .........CB is old school. Many still have them but few are on them.

Early internet. There was a chat room for every interest. Then those became message boards and forums.
Now you have social media like Facebook and Twitter.
I'm as bad as anybody with Facebook. Push of a button and I'm in contact with classmates, co-workers, family and half dozen or more from Funbeaches......

Just need to pass the word for everybody to make an extra effort to check in on the board and stay in touch with the ones not on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:36 pm 

You know, I had read here in the past that it was very difficult to post when visiting MB is not in your future. I thought to myself...well that will never be me. Let me tell ya it is very difficult to post when you know you will not be visiting a place you love anytime soon. As a matter of fact it is down right depressing. I do check in, but I admit not everyday like before. My life just does not allow me the time. Doug and I both have new jobs that require 10 hours of our day, along with being a primary caregiver for two elderly family members, a wedding, graduation and a grandchild on the way (yes my daughter in law conceived on the honeymoon) life has gotten busy. Do I love MB or the people on this board any less? Of course not! My life just pulls me in a million different directions. This place is still a family to me and I love checking in :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Deanne, congratulations! :wav:

You are one of the many reasons this message board continues to exist. Just check in with us when you can and let us know what's going on!

P.S. You are not old enough to be a grandmother!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:22 pm 

LOL..I keep telling myself I am not old enough :roll: The plans were they were waiting 5 years. It ended up being 5 minutes. After the shock Doug and I are very excited. We are already talking about taking our little "guy" to Myrtle Beach next summer. New memories to share. I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:23 am 

We have picked up a few new members over the last couple of months. May is a very busy month for many. You have graduations, proms, yard work, etc.... People have been stuck in the house all winter and now are taking advantage of the extra daylight and spend less time on other things. Many people also stay away from MB during this month because 1/2 the month is consumed by two bike weeks. MB vacation season for many wont start until the memorial day bike week is out of there. It should pick up in June.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:25 am 

Deanna wrote:
LOL..I keep telling myself I am not old enough :roll: The plans were they were waiting 5 years. It ended up being 5 minutes. After the shock Doug and I are very excited. We are already talking about taking our little "guy" to Myrtle Beach next summer. New memories to share. I can't wait!

Congratulations Deanna. I've been told the good thing about these is that you can send them back home when you are finished with them.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:53 am 

Congrats Deanna. Being a grandparent is awesome!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:42 am 

Im checking in, and am guilty too. I am on a computer about 46 hrs a week at a medical facility and when I get home I rarely check facebook, my email, NOTHING. I am burnt out from the computer screen. (I wish we could go back to paper records. :roll:

I love this board too, and Patrish doesa great job.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 am 

I too, have lots of excuses for not participating on the board on a regular basis. It still means a lot to me as does Myrtle Beach. Unfortunately it has been a year and a half since we have visited MB. I am definitely suffering withdrawal symptoms. I am determined to get there at least for a few days this year. It had been a rocky year or so. Dealing with business woes, a very rough winter in this area, some family and health issues. For the most part life is good. I see a trip to the beach in my future! Miss the beach, miss keeping up with my MBMB "family". Love this MB message board and all the great people on it. Thank you Patrish for giving us this treasure.