Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Father
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:11 pm 

For the last 8 years, I've been with Kristi and her son Devin. We've been engaged to be married since 2009. Through all those years, I've been nothing short of a father to Devin. It has been nearly four years since he's last seen his birth father and there is no hope they'll ever see each other again. Devin even refers to me as "Dad" and I feel I've done my best to fit the role.

Three days ago, we found out that I will be a father once more. Kristi is carrying my child which will be due in December. While some people in my life have congratulated me on becoming an "actual" father, I feel differently. Yeah, it'll be my makeup involved in this one but there's a hell of a lot more to being a parent than just supplying DNA. I'm excited and scared to death all at the same time. Too many "what ifs" run through my head. Hopefully I can remain the same type of Dad I've been with Devin and maybe even better.

Parenting is a never ending learning process.

Post subject: Re: Father
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:27 pm 

How wonderful!!!! Congratulations!

You said " Yeah, it'll be my makeup involved in this one but there's a hell of a lot more to being a parent than just supplying DNA."

I couldn't agree more. Our son is adopted and Paul and I couldn't imagine our feelings would be any different if he was our DNA....seriously.

Enjoy this time and soon enough you'll be a Daddy once again! Blessings and good health to Kristi and the baby!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations to you and Kristi! I'm sure Devin is excited to know he will be having a brother or sister before long, and I believe you will be a great Dad to both of them. Will you still be coming to MB this summer?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:26 pm 

Congratulations. It takes a lot more to be a father than just being listed on a birth certificate. I've got family that have joint custody with the kids and even though the biological father is involved with the kids, the step father is more active in their life than the father. The biological dad has his own hobbies that takes precedent over the visitation time with the kid. He just pawns them off on aunts, uncles, and mamaws when its his time to have him. I really don't think you will do any more or less based on the new scenario. Either you care about the kid or you don't and it sounds like you have treated him like your own child anyway. Just keep on doing what your doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:59 am 

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I feel like you're as much of my family as my blood relatives and felt I should share my good news with you. Kristi and I were scared to death to tell my parents as we were unsure of the reaction. As it turned out, they were accepting of the news and even showed support and excitement. They're rather old fashioned when it comes to certain things. In fact, they STILL don't view Devin as my child and there's no reason to believe they ever will. It is what it is.

Patrish, we're still coming to Myrtle in August with my brother and his family. We were hoping to make it down for a short week in May as well but we're going to save a few bucks and stay home. I have some projects around the house to complete and one involves finishing the bedroom for the baby.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 am 

Phroggy, how exciting for your family. It takes a real man to step up to the plate. You sound like an awesome Dad to me :)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:49 am 

Phroggy,congrats to you both,and remember,any male can be a father,but it takes someone special to be a dad.And you my friend,fit that bill. Devin,and the new baby,are lucky to have you as a dad.Cheers :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:18 pm 

Congratulations!!
Something I just told a friend last week who is expecting a surprise baby.....Some babies are planned, some are surprises, some come to us not as babies anymore, but all children are miracles and come at the right time.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:58 pm 

Quote:
they STILL don't view Devin as my child and there's no reason to believe they ever will. It is what it is

That is sad, but hopefully not affecting Devin much. I'm sure he's a great kid because he certainly has a great set of parents !

Jan's Aunt & Uncle couldn't have kids so they adopted many over the years (7 at last count). They are all their children, no doubt about it. One of their children is an accomplished singer:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2011/01/adrienne-beasley-from-farmer-to-finalist/?utm_source=skimlinks.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=skimlinks.com

http://www.cmt.com/show/cmt_next_superstar/cast_member.jhtml?personalityId=14702

Congratulations and big prayers for a non-eventful pregnancy !

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Loved watching Adrienne's performance, Kirk. Her parents seem as proud of her as she is of them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:03 pm 

Thanks Patrish - Jan's extended family are inspirational in their own special way... "she fits in our family like a hand in a glove" was her Uncle's saying in the video, and it's true with all their kids.

I'm sure Devin fits in Phroggy's life the same way :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:53 pm 

Phroggy,

Congrats! Can't wait for you to share all those special beach memories in the future. Babies are a blessing no matter how you look at it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:54 am 

Phroggy, congratulations. You sound like you already are a great dad.
I have a nephew who is adopted, and think of him as our own blood. (my sisters boy)

Good luck too.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:45 am 

I really think you have the meaning of being a dad all figured out.

Post subject: Father
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:51 pm 

AZdryheat wrote:
I really think you have the meaning of being a dad all figured out.

I agree 100% you're going to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk