Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:49 pm 

We are coming from WV in June, we always get stuck in traffic on the road directly across from the camp ground. We are heading to Surfside Beach and want to know the best time to travel and best road to avoid all of this traffic. Our rental is not available until 3PM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Here’s what we would do. Come in on 501, and stay on 501 to 17 Bypass South to Glens Bay Rd. Then Take Glens Bay to Surfside (it becomes Surfside Dr. on the other side of Kings Hwy.) Beware, as there is major construction at the 17 intersection and on Glens Bay as well.

Here is a link to the traffic cams:
http://www.511sc.org/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm 

Just a thought. More and more people are trying to avoid RT 501 in summer months. Traffic on Saturdays can be a nightmare.

The few times we've been at south end we still come into the beach the same way as we do going to NMB. RT 74 to Chadbourne and through the woods to Tabor City then RT 9 in........
When heading to Garden City/Surfside we run RT 31 south to the end at RT 544......From there you could run 544 into 17 by-pass and down to Glen Bays....
Might be less traffic and fewer stoplights......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:56 pm 

I think it just depends on what time you are willing to get to Surfside. On summer trips I take Hwy 22 in Anyor even though it is kind of out of the way of Surfside (where we also stay) . You avoid a lot of red lights on 501 and you can just hit the cruise control and point the car to the beach, which I like. Once off 22 you have a couple of options. You can take 31 all the way to 544 or take grissom pkwy around batb. I find 544 to be as big a headache as 501 on check in days because of all the campers , so I just take businesses 17 down to Surfside.. Business 17 is not that busy if you come in around 1:00.. This may not be the preferred route for all but we have not had any issues with it. I have avoided 17 bypass for many years because of never ending construction. Business 17 going into Surfside should be avoided between 4 and 5 o'clock.

I'm not sure if you are referring to 544 ( which is straight when coming out of OCEAN Lakes) or business 17 which runs parallel to the campgrounds. 544 has most of the RV traffic coming in.