Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sandcastle South
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:10 am 

Can anyone tell me about Sandcastle South in South Myrtle Beach? Any info would be Helpfull!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sandcastle South
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:32 pm 

We have stayed there numerous times over the last 10 or so years and it has always been clean and well maintained. There is one larger pool and a couple of smaller pools plus a couple of whirlpools and a small lazy river pool. They have a large oceanfront lawn area with lounge chairs that was really nice. I liked that the parking garage is on the front of the hotel and if you were on a lower floor you could almost park outside your room door. I believe all of their rooms are oceanfront and you can get units with or without a small kitchen.

There is a pool side bar open during the summer and a small restaurant and bar on the property. The only down side is since you are pretty far down on the south end, you have to drive to almost anywhere you want to go to.
They also have a sister hotel closer to downtown called Sandcastle at the Pavillion but I strongly suggest that you do NOT stay there. the difference between the two is night and day and the Sandcastle South is MUCH nicer.

This year was the first year in over 10 years we didn't actually stay there because we have fell in love with the Oceans One resort which is up by the boardwalk and the 2nd Ave Pier. But the Sandcastle is much less expensive and if you are on a budget it is a good place to stay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:51 am 

Thank You very much for the info,it was quite helpfull(made my wife feel better and me about our stay!)
Happy Holidays!
S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:22 am 

Gino, a few years ago, maybe four years now that I think about it, we ventured down to Myrtle for Oktoberfest. We booked and stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort which is right next to Oceans One. While we certainly enjoyed the resort during our stay, we were convinced that it would be a nightmare getting in and out during the peak travel season. What is your experience with that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 pm 

We have stayed at Oceans One during the months of May, June, September, October and over New year's but even when they were fully booked we really didn't have any problem getting in or out. You do have to park across the street from the hotel but since the city installed the island in the middle of Ocean Blvd. it is usually pretty easy to cross the street. You can pull up to the building to load or unload and that has also been easy most of the time.

I have noticed longer lines of people trying to get into Sandy Beach at times but I'm pretty sure they have far more rooms than Oceans and their parking lot is a not as close as Oceans One. We have thought of trying out Sandy Beach but we have fallen in love with the end units on the upper floors of the north side of Oceans One because of their views. The only draw back is we have to rent a 2 bedroom suite when it is usually only my wife and myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:52 pm 

On our last trip to Myrtle Beach in September we actually stayed at Oceans One but we wanted to stay a couple days extra and Oceans was booked so I walked into Sandcastle South and requested a room since we have a long history of staying there. We have stayed there off and on for the last 12 or so years and I have always mentioned this hotel when people on this board have asked for a good clean low priced hotel.

What we found in September was really appalling considering all of our past visits to this hotel. The room we were given was really dirty and well worn. The picture below was the couch in the unit they tried to put us in and it was about the cleanest thing in that room. When I went back downstairs and said we would not stay in that room they did move us to a better but still not great or particularly clean room. In fact that room did not have a shower curtain and when I told the front desk about it they installed a used ripped curtain.

In their defense I was told that they were in the process of upgrading some of their rooms and would be done by next spring. I have talked with a couple of people who stayed there around the same time as us and they were happy with their room so maybe I just caught them on a bad day but I've always reported the good so I thought I should do likewise with the bad. I really like this hotel but we won't be going back until I'm sure things have improved.

[url][URL=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/gino024/media/rsz_1rsz_scsbcouch.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Last edited by Gino024 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:25 am 

My family and I have trip booked for February 2015 at Sandcastle South with 3 other families. I will post a update on the condition of the rooms/hotel. We stayed there last year at the same time and thought it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:12 pm 

Hey SteinerK2 did you get to make your trip in February? If so, how was Sandcastle South?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 am 

We did, our room upon check in was not very clean, We complained about it, Their response was it was the weekend of the marathon and that they were under staffed, which we understood.They ended up in the end upgradeing us and the families that stayed there also on our recommendation to executive suites that were clean and nicer at no extra charge. I would stay there again but reserve the nicer room from the start.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 pm 

They kept trying to tell me they were upgrading all of their rooms and the new rooms would have new tv's, kitchens, and laminate wood flooring in them. Were the executive suites like this? The conditions we found last fall were so unexpected and way worse than anything we had encountered on any previous stay. The pools, the lawn area, pool bar, and the parking there are all great but the dirty room was a total deal breaker for me. I hope they fix this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:26 am 

The rooms where nicer and had all the upgrades.(tv's,countertops & flooring,etc.) We might try the Grand Atlantic next year,we heard good things about it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 pm 

We love Grand Atlantic!! This will be our fourth year there .. 3rd time with the same people from vrbo.. Our room is wonderful!!! and they are so nice!! We haven't complained about a thing!! Can't say about the other rooms other than the one that we didn't rent from them and it was really good too!!